ALL Origin account details STOLEN [IMPORTANT]-UNCONFIRMED-

Off-topic discussion, where anyone can talk about almost anything.

Moderator: Executive

Ash2Dust
Executive
Executive

Re: ALL Origin account details STOLEN [IMPORTANT]

Post by Ash2Dust »

http://www.eurogamer.net/articles/2012- ... g-hijacked

EA denied any breach about 3 weeks ago. But seeing how EA treats bugs in their games, I have little faith in Origin's security. And using a players ingame name as a Origin login opens everyone open to brute force password attacks that plays BF3. Poor security implementation by EA.

At least Blizzard made a big announcement when they were breached a couple months ago.
LoA
Supporting Member
Supporting Member

Post by LoA »

Gwynzer wrote:
LoA wrote:Also use both small and capital letters, aswell as numbers and characters.

Or . . .
Interesting.

But in this case that doesn't matter, since the russians already got their hands on your password. Most websites store your password as a md5 hash and the hackers needs to decrypt them in order to decipher the actual password. That's why having a more complex password is good when things like this happens, it takes alot more time to decrypt them.

Wouldn't be surprised if EA stored all password as clean text though. k:crazy:
haruky
Supporting Member
Supporting Member

Post by haruky »

henidhor wrote:Wait a minute, so everyone is freaking out and trying to change their password because some kid on the internet experienced reputable youtuber made some ridiculous claim with no factual basis of official mention? Not to mention the fact that this random person on the internet makes money by attracting your views through sensationalist headlines?

C'mon guys, look a little deeper than the headline.

This is taken straight from Origin's Facebook page. This post might be a reference to the security breach that is being discussed in this thread.

It's a good thing I have a pretty crazy password.
Image[/url]
StarfisherEcho
Executive
Executive

Post by StarfisherEcho »

What pisses me off is their refusal to accept special characters in passwords. Expanding the search space is the name of the game, not restricting it. Reminds me of a company I used to work for requiring you to have exactly six characters for a password. What the hell.
ImageImageImage
ShadowRado
Supporting Member
Supporting Member

Post by ShadowRado »

Or . . .[/quote]

Why have I never thought of this myself! :o
ImageDoomKitten
haruky
Supporting Member
Supporting Member

Post by haruky »

ShadowRado wrote:Or . . .
Why have I never thought of this myself! :o[/quote]

Unfortunately, a lot of places only allow you to have a maximum of 16 characters.
Image[/url]
CanShield

Post by CanShield »

I did some digging, and a story from mid November same time line these issues began to occur. The information was acquired from pcs infected with keyloging/malware used to acquire the information. Click me to read the whole story.
DaFi

Post by DaFi »

The last time I changed my password, I couldnt play for ~1 week. Couldn't login anymore. Because of Origins strange behaviour.

You can change your password to anything you want while changing it in Origin (The client), but you are limited to 16 characters and no special characters when changing it on EAs website. So careful where and to what you change it. Had big Problems with this...

I feel pretty safe with my password system (different email and password for Origin, Domain and email Account). But when they get my email and password through Origin and are then able to change both via Origin, I cant really do much.
I heard somewhere you can add a security question, when you ask for it via support. Not sure if its ture and how it will work, but I might check that out later.
Battlelog/Origin: DaveFi
BF3C4 Gladius - BF3C5 Legion of Doom - BF3C6 United Nations Security Council
undrt0w
Supporting Member
Supporting Member

Post by undrt0w »

Gwynzer wrote:
LoA wrote:Also use both small and capital letters, aswell as numbers and characters.

Or . . .
hahah is this true?!?
Welcome Committee Member
What is GC? | Getting Started at GC | Campaign Sign-up Video | FAQ | Forum Netiquette

New Members do you need help?
Find me on TS or send me a PM
Gwynzer
Executive
Executive

Post by Gwynzer »

Yus.
Digz
Supporting Member
Supporting Member

Post by Digz »

sorry but hes just showing the game screen, and talks, like everyone on youtube.
if it did happen at least show screenshots of that.
also no link to news post about it, no where even unofficial site.

wont do anything. i can post youtube about gladious wrecking loa vid card
and how dangerous it is to play in the same server with them...
get real. kid or no kid, there are ways to back words up...
Necromancer
Supporting Member
Supporting Member

Post by Necromancer »

im with digz.
1) no one stolen any of my accounts before.
2) i have only BF3+premium in Origin.
3) no facts in the vid.
EA is the most hated organization (according to some survey) so people posting how EA suck is not a surprise.
if someone stole the entire origin user list with all their info, i'd believe EA would do something about it, because if they don't and it gets out, no one will ever trust EA again. not to mention law suits and all of that (there are regulations on what and how to store sensitive data). just the huge sell drop after it gets out doesn't make it worth to keep it quite and not do anything about it.
i'd expect the minimum would be to send an email telling you to change your password.

peoples accounts being hacked because they are careless. their passwords are stolen by viruses (key loggers) or fishing sites, and they blame it on EAs security.
-“Regret your helplessness…and feel despair.”
Achievement Unlocked: Battlefield 4 Uninstalled!!
das_0pfer
Supporting Member
Supporting Member

Post by das_0pfer »

LoA wrote:But in this case that doesn't matter, since the russians already got their hands on your password. Most websites store your password as a md5 hash and the hackers needs to decrypt them in order to decipher the actual password. That's why having a more complex password is good when things like this happens, it takes alot more time to decrypt them.
You can not decrypt a hash because no encryption is being used. It's a hash, the original content is not in there.
LoA wrote:Wouldn't be surprised if EA stored all password as clean text though. k:crazy:
I would be, really. They are not some stupid script kiddies.
DaFi

Re: ALL Origin account details STOLEN [IMPORTANT]-UNCONFIRME

Post by DaFi »

This Thread is kinda old.. but anyways...

Had to reinstall Windows and after starting Origin again I had to set a security question. Dont know if its for everyone yet. News is 2 Days old. But something is happening.
Infos:
https://help.ea.com/article/why-is-orig ... y-question

So maybe EA cares about our accounts after all.
Battlelog/Origin: DaveFi
BF3C4 Gladius - BF3C5 Legion of Doom - BF3C6 United Nations Security Council
zorplex
Supporting Member
Supporting Member

Re: ALL Origin account details STOLEN [IMPORTANT]-UNCONFIRME

Post by zorplex »

Even if there was no mass compromising of Origin accounts it's always a good idea to regularly change your account password. That's obviously not practical for all sites, but for any account that you regularly use and has a connection to your billing information it's a good habit to get into.
Get a free Planetside 2 starter pack! Shameless PS2 recruitment link!
BF3C2-L • Hitcorp • Staff Sergeant ~§~ BF3C3-L • PRIDe • Captain ~§~ BF3C4-L • Gladius • Captain BF3C5-W • Legion of Doom • Captain Image
BF3C6-L • UNSC • PFC ~§~ BF4C1-L • Allies • PRVT ~§~ BF4C2-W • 9th MEU • P2C
BF4C3 • Corleone Family • HCImage
BF4C4 • SAD JANUS • HC