Soundcard to go with my new pair of ATD-A700.

Off-topic discussion, where anyone can talk about almost anything.

Moderator: Executive

BanzaiLang

Re: Soundcard to go with my new pair of ATD-A700.

Post by BanzaiLang »

She's beautiful. :D
expandas
Supporting Member
Supporting Member

Post by expandas »

How does the A700 compare to the M50? Will you really hear a difference with a sound card on a sub-$200 pair of headphones?
TheYonderGod

Post by TheYonderGod »

expandas wrote:How do the A700s compare to the M50? Will you really hear a difference with a sound card on a sub-$200 pair of headphones?
I've never listened to M50s but from what I've read they're super bass heavy, which is good for music if that's your style, but not really accurate or good for gaming. The AD700s are kind of the opposite, the highs are kinda too harsh for music (but still better than most people's headphones) but really good for gaming.

Yes, you can hear the difference with a sound card even on crappy ipod earbuds.

Btw if anyone is interested in a mid level sound card, I'm selling an Asus Xonar DS because I recently upgraded to a Creative Z
ImageImage
undrt0w
Supporting Member
Supporting Member

Post by undrt0w »

Congrats they look cute!! i hope u like them.

With regards to the M50s, they are closed cans, meaning that they will not let the sound come out. This is useful if you do not want to disturb anyone around you. Also, indeed they are quite heavy on the bass. While the AD700 is an open air headphone. The sound and air flow through the pads and it can be heard by people around you. This helps create a better soundstage (a notion for imitating how you hear sound when you are at a concert, what you might call positional audio), which is why they are praised for gaming. If i recall correctly the sound from the 700s goes to the side of your ear instead of straight in it. This again helps create better positional audio (i doubt it, honestly). They lack in bass too. Also, this has nothing to do with sound but both headphones have different way of sitting on you head. The 700s have flapping "wings" that will grab your head, while the m50s have more of a standard fitting, but can be transported easier. Some say the wings are great, some say they are not....frostey can judge :)

I haven't had the pleasure to hear both cans but from the countless reviews I've read, I think both are really good products. Actually, If I manage to find the AD700 for 100 bucks, I will get them for sure.
Welcome Committee Member
What is GC? | Getting Started at GC | Campaign Sign-up Video | FAQ | Forum Netiquette

New Members do you need help?
Find me on TS or send me a PM
Frosteyy

Post by Frosteyy »

@undertow
They were on sale at amazon.com for 99, not sure if they still are. Youll need to check. Cant wait to pair these badboys with the modmic and my xonar coming in. :D
C5: LOD/Corporal
expandas
Supporting Member
Supporting Member

Post by expandas »

How are they sounding? I'm thinking of picking up a pair of headphones this week, either the ATH-M50 LE or ATH-A900. I can get both for around $100 USD. Do you guys have any thoughts?

http://www.reddit.com/r/headphones/comm ... 0_and_m50/
undrt0w
Supporting Member
Supporting Member

Post by undrt0w »

i'd suggest you take a look at headfi's reviews....possibly the best website with regards to headphones (although I couldn't find decent info for my tad400)

http://www.head-fi.org/products/audio-t ... -ath-ad900

http://www.head-fi.org/newsearch?search=ath+m50&type=10

there is a guy that reviews headphones specifically for gaming:

http://www.head-fi.org/t/534479/mad-lus ... 2-reviewed

you find the M50s there but not the ad900.

i see that the ad900 go around 200 bucks at amazon, so i think its a great deal if you can get them for 100.

@frostey - for some reason AT is pretty expensive in Europe and I thought I couldn't get them shipped from the US. My TAD400 cost 100$ here. But since you mentioned it, yday I checked and there is actually a delivery option to Europe for 30$. Unfortunately, they were a gift so I will have to wait a bit till a go for a new headphone.
Welcome Committee Member
What is GC? | Getting Started at GC | Campaign Sign-up Video | FAQ | Forum Netiquette

New Members do you need help?
Find me on TS or send me a PM
Frosteyy

Post by Frosteyy »

Trying to optimize my audio settings. Do I set the AD700 with these settings?
phpBB [video]
AdmiralGiggles

Post by AdmiralGiggles »

just set to 8 channels Headphones, and don't enable 7.1 virtual speaker and Dolby Headphone.
Frosteyy

Post by Frosteyy »

AdmiralGiggles wrote:just set to 8 channels Headphones, and don't enable 7.1 virtual speaker and Dolby Headphone.
Copy that. Thanks. They sound sooooooooo gooooood. LOL. I can hear my enemies footsteps to DEATH! :twisted:
AdmiralGiggles

Post by AdmiralGiggles »

Frosteyy wrote:
AdmiralGiggles wrote:just set to 8 channels Headphones, and don't enable 7.1 virtual speaker and Dolby Headphone.
Copy that. Thanks. They sound sooooooooo gooooood. LOL. I can hear my enemies footsteps to DEATH! :twisted:
Welcome to the club. :D