Can I trust GameStop with Pre-ordering?

Off-topic discussion, where anyone can talk about almost anything.

Moderator: Executive

Hgx

Can I trust GameStop with Pre-ordering?

Post by Hgx »

The subject says it all.
Im thinking of pre-ordering BF4 and Premium (probably), can I trust GameStop (online ofc) to do this?
I also thought about some other ways to do it, like proxy or giving the money to some friend here, but that's for another topic.
Is there any other website you would like to recommend?

Some of you know, some of you don't, so i'll explain my "situation":

-"Can't" buy BF4/Premium from Origin:

Price for everybody = around $60 USD x 6 (exchange rate) = 360
Price for ppl in Arg = around €60 EUR x 8 (exchange rate) = 480

Im sorry about asking this a few times, but im not really used to buy things like this, and I never used a website to buy videogames.
Thanks to instanityrocks for giving me a hand too.
Digz
Supporting Member
Supporting Member

Re: Can I trust GameStop with Pre-ordering?

Post by Digz »

move to US or EU. problem solved.

the proxy thing is old news. like EA fixed that after it went viral
(oh i just passed the port to 1 friend he wont tell nobody no worries bro..)
and made all pay the same. i bet they will have it fixed in BF4 if it happens again.
they are evil not stupid....i hope cause evil and stupid is very bad news.

mixing money and friends is never a good idea (5 $ dolla me luv u long time)
if you can get help from familt its better.
the thing is why not wait until you see what kind of premium deal BF4 will have?
Hgx

Post by Hgx »

Digz wrote:move to US or EU. problem solved.

the proxy thing is old news. like EA fixed that after it went viral
(oh i just passed the port to 1 friend he wont tell nobody no worries bro..)
and made all pay the same. i bet they will have it fixed in BF4 if it happens again.
they are evil not stupid....i hope cause evil and stupid is very bad news.

mixing money and friends is never a good idea (5 $ dolla me luv u long time)
if you can get help from familt its better.
the thing is why not wait until you see what kind of premium deal BF4 will have?
Well, that's the problem, they're not making us all pay the same price and I don't have any kind of family member outside my country.
We already know what BF4 Premium is gonna give us, and I only really care about the 5 DLC with early access.
XrunawayX
Supporting Member
Supporting Member

Post by XrunawayX »

I would think you could trust GameStop for a pre-order. They're a large and reputable company here in the US. I pre-ordered MW2 from them (in store pickup though) several years back with no problem.
Digz
Supporting Member
Supporting Member

Post by Digz »

XrunawayX wrote:I would think you could trust GameStop for a pre-order. They're a large and reputable company here in the US. I pre-ordered MW2 from them (in store pickup though) several years back with no problem.
MW2? :o :!: :?: :!: :?:
off-with his head!!!
InsanityRocks
Supporting Member
Supporting Member

Post by InsanityRocks »

I went to my local Gamestop and learned a couple things:

1) You shouldn't have any problems pre-ordering from the website (err... I didn't ask if you would be charged right away)
2) Right now, and I think is from EA, there is no combined BF4 Premium offering; it's an extra charge.
3) Essentially you're paying Gamestop for the Origin Code to download the game (at least that's how I understood it).

But, like Runaway said, Gamestop is a fairly reputable company here in the US.

I use them for all my gaming purchases; I even purchase PSN, Steam, and EA cash cards from them so I won't have to enter my Credit card information into their clients. I've been going to my local store, now, for 5yrs or so (my first purchase was Soul Calibur IV for PS3).

HTH, Hgx
Hgx

Post by Hgx »

Thanks guys! A lot.
I'll probably pre-order it from there.
matsif
Executive
Executive

Post by matsif »

as stated above, for digital download stuff there should be no issue, and for PC games as well as (at least in my experience) the company is very console-biased. And seeing as you're not in the USA it would get shipped from a warehouse (assuming physical media), which would avoid the issue I'll lay out in the next paragraph that I have with Gamestop.

for physical media, I avoid them like the plague. When they get the shipments of new games in, they allow their employees to play them for a couple days before release, then repackage the case and such and sell at full price, many times with disc scratches and such, and then won't take the game back when you try to return it for the scratches (and possibly not working at all), claiming you made the scratch. This happened to 3 of my friends and my brother, and I confirmed it with someone I knew in college that worked there (would talk to him at the location from time to time when I took my brother up there).

Basically, for online transactions of non-physical media, you shouldn't have a problem, but for physical media transactions I would not trust them in the slightest.
woke up this morning, put on my slippers, walked in the kitchen and died
InsanityRocks
Supporting Member
Supporting Member

Post by InsanityRocks »

Wow, that sucks, matsif. Hopefully I'll continue to have good experiences with my local Gamestop.
Necromancer
Supporting Member
Supporting Member

Post by Necromancer »

As i said before, i will buy from Origin, but use a proxy to mimic an IP of a country who's money value is lower relatively to my local money. using google translate to navigate through origin. It appears that paying in Brazilian real (99 R$) will save about 20$ for me.
-“Regret your helplessness…and feel despair.”
Achievement Unlocked: Battlefield 4 Uninstalled!!
Hgx

Post by Hgx »

Necromancer wrote:As i said before, i will buy from Origin, but use a proxy to mimic an IP of a country who's money value is lower relatively to my local money. using google translate to navigate through origin. It appears that paying in Brazilian real (99 R$) will save about 20$ for me.
Yeah, but as we said a few days ago in TS, I won't use my credit card with a proxy.
Lucky mrBlue, we should just give him all our money and let him buy a ton of BF 4 copies :lol:
mrBLUE9
Executive
Executive

Post by mrBLUE9 »

Hgx wrote: Yeah, but as we said a few days ago in TS, I won't use my credit card with a proxy.
Lucky mrBlue, we should just give him all our money and let him buy a ton of BF 4 copies :lol:
The BR Real is really weak right now compared to the Dollar, that's why it's so cheap for whoever have Dollars! But if there's a way I can buy the game for you guys and send the key I would gladly do so. :) (I may or may not escape to the Caribbean right after)
InsanityRocks
Supporting Member
Supporting Member

Post by InsanityRocks »

I think it's hurricane season when BF4 launches, mrBLUE9 :( ...be careful :thumbup:
Necromancer
Supporting Member
Supporting Member

Post by Necromancer »

hidemyass offers a VPN proxy for 10$, so you'd still save 10$. since the subscription is for a month, you can then let all other GCers use your account to get it cheaper too.
Necromancer
Supporting Member
Supporting Member

Post by Necromancer »

Hgx, maybe your credit card company is happy to give away your money to whoever asks for it.
Here, credit card companies are a little bit more responsible.
in case your credit card gets stolen and is used in a suspicious way (large purchase, out of region/country, or large bill) a representative from the company will call you immediately to verify that you did the purchase. And if not, the credit card company simply blocks the money transfer. the store takes the hit since they swapped the card without verifying the card holder's identity with an ID card, as required by law.

With credit card purchases on the internet, you need to log into the credit card company website after purchasing something, where you'll see a request from that site to charge your account. Until you authorize the charge via the credit card company website, your account won't be charged and the money won't be transferred to that site.

using and loosing your credit card here is pretty safe...