how to watch STAR WARS the right way

Off-topic discussion, where anyone can talk about almost anything.

Moderator: Executive

sushi
Executive
Executive

how to watch STAR WARS the right way

Post by sushi »

...and honestly I do not know the answer regarding the viewing order - thats why I decided to get some input on this.

We do have an intern who hasn't seen STAR WARS - and yes I was close to asking the HR-department how we hired her in the first place.So to further the education of the masses I decided to make her watch the 6 movies - but here is the biggie: what is the order she should go for: 4-5-6 and than 1-2-3, or the 1-2-3-4-5-6.

Method 2: Chronological Order
Following the historical/ production order approach would make you start out with ANH resulting with Darth Vader as the ultimate bad guy and the huge secret revealed in TESB that he is Lukes father. Following that order you are likely to focus on Luke, Leia and Obiwan. And of cause the FX's will get better the further you go in the franchise.

Method 1: By Order of Episode
I think the view you will have at Darth Vader and the whole SW-franchise might be different if you start with TPM. You will than rather focus on Anakin.

Here at GC we have some oldtimers who did see the old films in the order made by George and of cause some younger guys who might have started out with TPM. So let me hear what makes sense from your experience. I know there are huge discussions out there already (this one has a lot of arguments summoned. But I want to hear from the different experiences you might have.

May The C4 Be With You
Gwynzer
Executive
Executive

Re: how to watch STAR WARS the right way

Post by Gwynzer »

I know the right way! It's called Machete Order

4, 5, 2, 3, 6. Skip one, or play it last. Nothing from 1 is important to the story, it can be skipped as it is crap (or it can be watched later as bonus content)

See the link above so you can see the reasoning for that order. It makes sense.
Jokerle
Supporting Member
Supporting Member

Post by Jokerle »

as bonus content 2,3

for fun and cuteness 1 (you said 'her', a girl may like this)

after going totally drunk: the holiday special :lol:

Machete Order makes indeed somewhat sense. But after the high-res, super-wow fighting in 3, episode 6 might be a bit 'meh' for the non-fans.
Wat ne Wuchtbrumme!
Calloutman
Executive
Executive

Post by Calloutman »

4,5,6 - 1,2,3. Don't skip ep1, it's not a great film but it does kinda introduce the characters and give some backstory. I'm sure she won't be bored as even though it's not a great film, a lot goes on in it.
BF3 || C2 Lead Operative || C3 Brigadier General || C4 Major General || C5 Private First Class || C6 General
BF4 || C1 TA || C2 TA || C3 TA || C4 Serviceman || C5 Duke
A Docile Sloth
Executive
Executive

Post by A Docile Sloth »

4, 5, 6, 1, 2, 3
Three can potentially spoil the whole Vader is Luke's farther thing.
Bonus points if you get an ep4 where Han shoots first like he actually did.
.Sup
Executive
Executive

Post by .Sup »

I watched “Into the Darkness“ yesterday. Spock looks exactly the same as my lil' sis' boyfriend. Apart from the ears lol
Jokerle
Supporting Member
Supporting Member

Post by Jokerle »

.Sup wrote:I watched “Into the Darkness“ yesterday. Spock looks exactly the same as my lil' sis' boyfriend. Apart from the ears lol
we are talking about Star WARS....not Star TREK :D
Wat ne Wuchtbrumme!
expandas
Supporting Member
Supporting Member

Post by expandas »

after going totally drunk: the holiday special
8O
Wi1D_K4rD
Supporting Member
Supporting Member

Post by Wi1D_K4rD »

sushi wrote: And of cause the FX's will get better the further you go in the franchise.
That's an entirely subjective opinion actually. I prefer the more realistic FX of using models over CG. Especially since 1-3 were made during the relatively still early days of CG and it shows.

If I wanted to watch all of them, because I was feeling particularly masochist that day, I'd probably go with the machete order Gwynzer mentioned if I wanted to have the full "story" in its best presentation. It does have the benefit of allowing you to watch the best ones then feel incredibly hollow inside and then finish strong with Jedi.

Preferably the Jedi version you have is one prior to the last special edition. It personally sickens me to see that horrible actor replace a superior actor like Sebastion Shaw in the final scene.

Depending on how you are watching them and if you are comfortable with torrents I would suggest the Adywan edit of ANH. It takes everything that was good about the Special edition but gets rid of the unnecessary BS added by Lucas for absolutely no reason. (Han shooting first vs. being confronted by the most incompetent Bounty hunter in the history of Bounty hunting.) You can download it and burn it to a DVD if necessary. I can provide a link if necessary but you can find it fairly easily with a google search. Unfortunately he's not done with Empire or Jedi but Empire should be done by the end of the year.

tl;dr
4,5,6, end. If prequels necessary, 4, 5, (1), 2, 3, 6, with 1 being entirely optional despite being cinematographic-ally superior to 2 and 3.

On a side note:
I apologize for my clear hate of the prequels and Lucas. It isn't so much the story of the prequels it's the absolutely dreadful cinematography of them. I can forgive terrible CG because it was new back then but my god, when episode 1 ages better than 2 and 3... Two and Three literally amount to like 2 hours of 2 people sitting next to each other in front of green screens talking. All because Lucas couldn't handle the stress of building legitimate sets and filming on location. Then has the gall to claim that's his artistic vision instead of just being honest that he was lazy.

Also, "People who alter or destroy works of art and our cultural heritage for profit or as an exercise of power are barbarians, and if the laws of the United States continue to condone this behavior, history will surely classify us as a barbaric society." -George Lucas 1988. One year before ANH was added to the National Film Registry as an integral part of our cultural heritage. Eight years later Lucas alters and "allegedly" destroys our cultural heritage when he releases the Special Edition and claims the original version no longer exists. Which is BS by the way as no sane person destroys the original negative of a film. It should still be in archives. In fact there should be a copy in the National Film Registry.
mrBLUE9
Executive
Executive

Post by mrBLUE9 »

I would go with episode order just because the movies increase in quality as they go, so you leave the best for the end! (and the jar jar experience can be quick and painless) :lol:
sushi
Executive
Executive

Post by sushi »

8O What a disturbance in the force.... as if millions of voices suddenly cried out in terror, and were suddenly silenced! We have a heretic amongst us my brothers!!!! The unclean being named Sup dis-sacred this holy ground by posting the unspeakable reference to Star Trek :mrgreen:

I guess I need to watch "fanboys" to overcome the blasphemy.

Oh and :D if you guys keep this up a little longer we will have all possible variations of watching star wars in one thread. The machete order is tempting so far.
Gwynzer
Executive
Executive

Post by Gwynzer »

The Adywan Edit of EpIV is certainly better than the any of the later Special Editions. I can't recall off hand, but does it show the scenes at Tosche Station and Biggs Darklighter in the Arywan? If so it's maybe a skip.

If you own EPIV in any (DVD/Modern) format the Adywan Edit is legal to use and share with others that have EpIV. I can also provide a link if you wish.

.Sup wrote:I watched “Into the Darkness“ yesterday. Spock looks exactly the same as my lil' sis' boyfriend. Apart from the ears lol
??????????

WTF!
Wi1D_K4rD
Supporting Member
Supporting Member

Post by Wi1D_K4rD »

Gwynzer wrote:I can't recall off hand, but does it show the scenes at Tosche Station and Biggs Darklighter in the Arywan? If so it's maybe a skip.
I'm fairly certain it doesn't. I even read through the changelog again too. I don't see any mention of any of the deleted scenes added in, so it's probably safe to say it doesn't have it.
RazY70
Supporting Member
Supporting Member

Post by RazY70 »

I think that as a punishment she should be made to watch ep.1 six times :twisted:

If I had to choose and all must be included then I'd go with what Jokerle suggested 4,5,6,few drinks,2,3,get totally hammered, 1
Gonzo
Executive
Executive

Post by Gonzo »

I feel compelled to link this:

phpBB [video]

phpBB [video]

Dude makes some good points. Won't help with the viewing order though.