Mantle

Off-topic discussion, where anyone can talk about almost anything.

Moderator: Executive

CorranHorn
Supporting Member
Supporting Member

Mantle

Post by CorranHorn »

RazY70
Supporting Member
Supporting Member

Re: Mantle

Post by RazY70 »

Nix

Post by Nix »

Ooooh, sounds exciting! :D
MAAfield 4: MAA Rising, Second MAA, MAA Strike, MAA's Teeth, Final MAA, MAA Operations, Community MAA and Legacy MAA
matsif
Executive
Executive

Post by matsif »

the r9 series with mantle are going to be really good cards, but I still want to see benchmarks before I pull the trigger and buy one. Everything about the card sounds promising though, and if AMD delivers with mantle and driver support it will be great.

If the card goes for under $650 as well it's going to force nvidia to lower prices of 700 series cards for those of you who refuse to buy AMD products.

edit: also, hopefully devs will stop force coding in physx support, which is one of the main contributors to why nvidia held the upper hand in GPUs in recent times. That said, if they start force coding for mantle and don't support physx/whatever they put out with maxwell, that isn't good either.

edit 2: obviously I'm also talking about the r9 series of cards (specifically the r9 290x), which will be the first to support mantle.
woke up this morning, put on my slippers, walked in the kitchen and died
CorranHorn
Supporting Member
Supporting Member

Post by CorranHorn »

matsif wrote:
edit 2: obviously I'm also talking about the r9 series of cards (specifically the r9 290x), which will be the first to support mantle.
Mantle will be supported by any card that runs the GCN architecture, so everything > thatn the 7000 series
undrt0w
Supporting Member
Supporting Member

Post by undrt0w »

So, I plan to get a second 7950 to do crossfire when BF4 comes out...does this mean that I will be able to use mantle when it rolls out in December? What I mean is, will old 7xxx cards support it ?
Welcome Committee Member
What is GC? | Getting Started at GC | Campaign Sign-up Video | FAQ | Forum Netiquette

New Members do you need help?
Find me on TS or send me a PM
CorranHorn
Supporting Member
Supporting Member

Post by CorranHorn »

Yes it will, as the 7000 series use the GCN architecture.
matsif
Executive
Executive

Post by matsif »

CorranHorn wrote:
matsif wrote:
Mantle will be supported by any card that runs the GCN architecture, so everything > thatn the 7000 series
eventually that is their want, but I won't believe that they would release mantle on non-r-series cards on opening day until it happens. They might all use GCN, but there are different versions because the cards have different PCBs with more/less layers and more/less silicon on the chips and so on and so forth. They will have to write the API to work with each car series (7900, 7800, etc) because as a hardware API it has to interface to the signals that run the PCB that is your video card.

I agree if they roll it out on all GCN cards on day one that would be awesome, but I don't see it happening. My major hope is that this kills devs force coding for physx and basically purposely making AMD cards worse. More competition is better.
woke up this morning, put on my slippers, walked in the kitchen and died
undrt0w
Supporting Member
Supporting Member

Post by undrt0w »

thx guys!

yeah, it might not be available from day 1, but i guess we will have it at some point.

but yeah, i hate having to install physx with a game, when i don't even own an nvdia card.
Welcome Committee Member
What is GC? | Getting Started at GC | Campaign Sign-up Video | FAQ | Forum Netiquette

zorplex
Supporting Member
Supporting Member

Post by zorplex »

I'm still running on 5770s so I'm definitely going to upgrade for BF4. I was hoping the game would become part of their Never Settle promotion, but if I'm not mistaken it's only going to be bundled with their top tier card. I really hope I can get it bundled with one of the lower tier cards; I'm not really willing to pay $600+ for hardware that will be outdated in a couple years. If not, I'll probably try to get a good deal on a 7000 card.
Get a free Planetside 2 starter pack! Shameless PS2 recruitment link!
BF3C2-L • Hitcorp • Staff Sergeant ~§~ BF3C3-L • PRIDe • Captain ~§~ BF3C4-L • Gladius • Captain BF3C5-W • Legion of Doom • Captain Image
BF3C6-L • UNSC • PFC ~§~ BF4C1-L • Allies • PRVT ~§~ BF4C2-W • 9th MEU • P2C
BF4C3 • Corleone Family • HCImage
BF4C4 • SAD JANUS • HC
LoA
Supporting Member
Supporting Member

Post by LoA »

Maybe I'll finally be able to run games at a stable 100-120 fps on high settings with AMD's new cards. Dropping down to 60 fps while playing on a 120 Hz monitor is like dropping down to 30 on a 60 Hz monitor. UGH.
zorplex
Supporting Member
Supporting Member

Post by zorplex »

LoA wrote:Maybe I'll finally be able to run games at a stable 100-120 fps on high settings with AMD's new cards. Dropping down to 60 fps while playing on a 120 Hz monitor is like dropping down to 30 on a 60 Hz monitor. UGH.
You poor soul... I am truley sorry for your lots. [sic]
Get a free Planetside 2 starter pack! Shameless PS2 recruitment link!
BF3C2-L • Hitcorp • Staff Sergeant ~§~ BF3C3-L • PRIDe • Captain ~§~ BF3C4-L • Gladius • Captain BF3C5-W • Legion of Doom • Captain Image
BF3C6-L • UNSC • PFC ~§~ BF4C1-L • Allies • PRVT ~§~ BF4C2-W • 9th MEU • P2C
BF4C3 • Corleone Family • HCImage
BF4C4 • SAD JANUS • HC
undrt0w
Supporting Member
Supporting Member

Post by undrt0w »

zorplex wrote:
LoA wrote:Maybe I'll finally be able to run games at a stable 100-120 fps on high settings with AMD's new cards. Dropping down to 60 fps while playing on a 120 Hz monitor is like dropping down to 30 on a 60 Hz monitor. UGH.
You poor soul... I am truley sorry for your lots. [sic]
Hahaha...I feel you bro, don't worry! I was like 8O when I streamed the 21CW scrimm and saw an FPS drop even below 50 :thumbdown:
Welcome Committee Member

TheYonderGod

Post by TheYonderGod »

This is so awesome, hopefully I'll be able to continue getting 120+ fps with my 7870.
ImageImage
Chemical2
Supporting Member
Supporting Member

Post by Chemical2 »

Sounds nice especially the crossfire part! Should help my 2x hd6850 greatly.... i hope
''Be polite, be efficient. Have a plan to kill everyone you meet.'' The sniper
BF3
C2: Staff Sergeant - Hitcorp
C3: 1st Lieutenant - Dark army
C4: 1st Lieutenant - Starfishers coffee initiative
C5: PFC - Legion of Doom