new mechanical keyboard

Off-topic discussion, where anyone can talk about almost anything.

Moderator: Executive

Jokerle
Supporting Member
Supporting Member

Re: new mechanical keyboard

Post by Jokerle »

I really dont like my current one for typing...

Also it sometimes does not registered the W and space key after holding it a while and doing fancy air maneuvers in BF3. Not good in the heat of the battle. :lol:

Where else should I spent my money?...the beer in CZ is so cheap, drinking does not work 8)
Wat ne Wuchtbrumme!
Fields
Supporting Member
Supporting Member

Post by Fields »

I have a 6gv2 and it's good. The keys tend to pop off a bit, but it's a solid mechanical keyboard.
ShadowRado
Supporting Member
Supporting Member

Post by ShadowRado »

Hey I have a das with cherry blues and love it. Would buy again! The blues are kind of noisy when gaming some times it can piss off the girlfriend or even me if I don't have headphones on. But man the blue feeeeelllllssss good.

Edit: I went to buy the browns but when I got there the sales man opened up browns, reds, blues and blacks and let me play with them to decide you might want to see if you can do this also because they are all so different.
ImageDoomKitten
undrt0w
Supporting Member
Supporting Member

Post by undrt0w »

Jokerle wrote:So many manufactures I havent heard of. 8O

The quickfire TK from 01 can be ordered from my favorite shop, that is a big plus :-)

Make the switches (besides sound) really that much of a difference? Or is most of it just preference and habit?
Yonder also has the quickfire and I remember that he really liked it. Just notice that the numpad and arrow keys are combined, so you need to switch when you want to use each function.

As for the differences in the cherry switches, as the article says blacks and reds are preferred by games because of the missing bump. Supposedly it takes less time and force to press the keys. But I think they are preferred mainly by SC2 or Dota players since they tend to push keys like they are playing some arcade game. For a FPS game combined with typing, you could also go for browns or blues. Its just a matter of preference after all. Try testing them if you can.
Welcome Committee Member
What is GC? | Getting Started at GC | Campaign Sign-up Video | FAQ | Forum Netiquette

New Members do you need help?
Find me on TS or send me a PM
Jokerle
Supporting Member
Supporting Member

Post by Jokerle »

testing them is going to be difficult.

I dont know a shop that has these kind of keyboard in stock. Mainly just big electronic stores around, perhaps they have some mechanical keyboard lying around I can try and see what switches suit me.

Also, one would think salesman in PC/electronic shops could speak a bit english......well, dont count on it :?
And my czech is not yet good enough, either.
So I usually just order stuff online 8)

From what I can tell from this thread, if you pay over a 100euro for a keyboard the quality will be sufficient. Then it comes down to taste, wanted features and switches.
Wat ne Wuchtbrumme!
undrt0w
Supporting Member
Supporting Member

Post by undrt0w »

Yes, I know what you mean. Gaming accs are hard to test as they are mainly sold online....at least here. I went to the big electronics shops here but they had only Razer stuff. I managed to see Steelseries, CM Storm and Roccat in Berlin. There I tested the switches.

But, yeah you have summed it up pretty well. :D
Welcome Committee Member
What is GC? | Getting Started at GC | Campaign Sign-up Video | FAQ | Forum Netiquette

New Members do you need help?
Find me on TS or send me a PM
Divine-Sneaker

Post by Divine-Sneaker »

Mechanical keys just feel so fraking satysfying and responsive to type with compared to some random cheapo keyboard that comes bundled with a computer. If you spend hours every single day in front of your computer gaming, doing work, browsing, typing or whatever, why would you not want to shell out a slight premium for extra comfort and quality for something you use so much?

It's like not wanting to have a good chair to sit in and being satisfied with discomfort from some trash chair that makes your back hurt.

If anyone knows a place that sells TKL boards with red or clear switches and blank white keycaps, I'd be interested.
"fraking game mechanics"
Jokerle
Supporting Member
Supporting Member

Post by Jokerle »

CorranHorn wrote:I've got the das cherry browns. Only Cuz I code as well as game.

Go with the ducky shine 2 man. Have only heard great things from those. Its more available now then when I was buying my MK or else I would have gotten one.
I tried to find the ducky shine 3. My best options seems to import it from an UK online shop. The german shop does not have it in stock for the next few months...
Wat ne Wuchtbrumme!
TheYonderGod

Post by TheYonderGod »

undrt0w wrote:Yonder also has the quickfire and I remember that he really liked it. Just notice that the numpad and arrow keys are combined, so you need to switch when you want to use each function.
Yep.

All of the Cooler Master mechanicals are great bang for the buck, you can get the full sized one if you don't need the space like I do.

As for swtiches, I've only tried black and red (they're both the same except blacks are a little bit heavier) http://www.overclock.net/t/491752/mecha ... st_6009482
If you don't mind paying $10 and waiting even longer to get your keyboard you can get a sampler kit to try out the main 4 types
http://www.amazon.com/Max-Keyboard-Keycap-Cherry-

If you don't want to do that, I'd just get reds or browns.
ImageImage
CorranHorn
Supporting Member
Supporting Member

Post by CorranHorn »

Jokerle wrote: I tried to find the ducky shine 3. My best options seems to import it from an UK online shop. The german shop does not have it in stock for the next few months...
There is a retailer in the Netherlands would that be cheaper in shipping for you?
.Sup
Executive
Executive

Post by .Sup »

Aren't mechanical keyboards really loud?
RazY70
Supporting Member
Supporting Member

Post by RazY70 »

.Sup wrote:Aren't mechanical keyboards really loud?
That depends on switches. You can see which ones click here: http://www.overclock.net/attachment.php ... 1298910971
Jokerle
Supporting Member
Supporting Member

Post by Jokerle »

I bought the CM quickfire ultimate with brown switches. Typing is lots of fun again. Happy customer :D
Wat ne Wuchtbrumme!
Sirslicey

Post by Sirslicey »

Corsair K95 is the nicest mechanical keyboard I've seen. I personally have a Logitech G710+.
BF3 C3: Master Sergeant | DARK Army
BF3 C4: First Lieutenant | Gladius Army Image
BF3 C5: First Lieutenant | KART Army
BF3 C6: First Lieutenant | United Nations Security Council
Angry Beavers | Honorary Canadian