here's something for you engineers out there

Off-topic discussion, where anyone can talk about almost anything.

Moderator: Executive

Hitman47
Supporting Member
Supporting Member

here's something for you engineers out there

Post by Hitman47 »

Apparently it feels like flying when you drive it. 8)

http://www.indiegogo.com/projects/s3tr- ... -transport
BF2: C5 - Corporal | C6 - Corporal | C7 - Feldwebel (Sergeant) | C8 - Neutral Peace Keeper | C9 - Captain | C10 - Grand Moff (HC) | C11 - Macaca (Staff Sergeant) | C12 - Major | C13 - Corporal
BF3: C1 - Colonel | C2 - General | C3 - Neutral | C4 - Brigadier | C5 - Private | C6 - Brigadier General
BF4: C1 - Tournament Admin | C2 - General
Nix

Re: here's something for you engineers out there

Post by Nix »

That's actually really cool.

Only $2 raised? :(
MAAfield 4: MAA Rising, Second MAA, MAA Strike, MAA's Teeth, Final MAA, MAA Operations, Community MAA and Legacy MAA
RazY70
Supporting Member
Supporting Member

Post by RazY70 »

It looks like a cheaper version of the Segway
Hitman47
Supporting Member
Supporting Member

Post by Hitman47 »

selling the feeling of flying through the streets is a genius idea, too bad it seems their marketing skills are lacking and the project won't get enough attention.
BF2: C5 - Corporal | C6 - Corporal | C7 - Feldwebel (Sergeant) | C8 - Neutral Peace Keeper | C9 - Captain | C10 - Grand Moff (HC) | C11 - Macaca (Staff Sergeant) | C12 - Major | C13 - Corporal
BF3: C1 - Colonel | C2 - General | C3 - Neutral | C4 - Brigadier | C5 - Private | C6 - Brigadier General
BF4: C1 - Tournament Admin | C2 - General
StarfisherEcho
Executive
Executive

Post by StarfisherEcho »

Yeah they need to do a better job telling me why this isn't just another Segway.
ImageImageImage
zorplex
Supporting Member
Supporting Member

Post by zorplex »

StarfisherEcho wrote:Yeah they need to do a better job telling me why this isn't just another Segway.
Well the S3TR has positive static stability for one. This means you can stand on it and it won't tip over if it loses power like a Segway will.

I first thought that the S3TR would also be cheaper to produce since it won't require the gyro sensors and complicated circuity for the controls system that the Segway needs. But the more I think about it the more unsure I am. The S3TR actually has a much more complicated structure with the multiple pivots/joints, the leaning tire wells and so on. Electronics scale really well and become cheaper as time progresses. The mechanical components may fluctuate based on material cost but will remain mostly static with time. On top of this the added mechanical complexity means theoretically more maintenance costs as there are more things to break. Moving parts tend to be more prone to failure than electronics. (Fortunately they are typically easier to fix as well.) And finally the larger base/more moving parts means more weight and that means (for the equivalent power system) less acceleration, more energy per distance consumed, lower top speed, etc. not to mention the higher difficulty in having the carry the thing any time you need to move it up stairs and what not.

I think the Segway is overpriced and if it were more popular or had more competition could be much cheaper to buy. I applaud anyone trying to make a viable contender but I don't think the market wants or needs another one. The Segway never took off for a number of reasons and the niche is so small that I don't really see this S3TR succeeding. Unless the S3TR is significantly cheaper (and based on the reward tiers it won't be) it's going to face the same problem the Segway did and not be able to compete with their largest competitor in the lightweight-people-mover market: the bicycle.

At least it looks cool... sort of... At least it looks cooler than the Segway. :? It looks like it could be a fun ride. But if I were spending the same money on a retail version, I'd either opt for a high quality road bike or a cheap motorcycle depending on my needs.
Get a free Planetside 2 starter pack! Shameless PS2 recruitment link!
BF3C2-L • Hitcorp • Staff Sergeant ~§~ BF3C3-L • PRIDe • Captain ~§~ BF3C4-L • Gladius • Captain BF3C5-W • Legion of Doom • Captain Image
BF3C6-L • UNSC • PFC ~§~ BF4C1-L • Allies • PRVT ~§~ BF4C2-W • 9th MEU • P2C
BF4C3 • Corleone Family • HCImage
BF4C4 • SAD JANUS • HC