East Coasters.. I'd love your opinion/suggestions!

Off-topic discussion, where anyone can talk about almost anything.

Moderator: Executive

haruky
Supporting Member
Supporting Member

East Coasters.. I'd love your opinion/suggestions!

Post by haruky »

HELLO EAST COAST! I AM HAILING FROM THE WEST COAST.

Myself, and a friend of mine (or two) are planning to visit the East Coast before he has to leave the states for a long time.

We are primarily thinking of staying in DC and would also love to fit in NYC into the trip itinerary. Do you guys have any recommendations as to what to see and how to get around? We are definitely going to see a lot of the national monuments like the Lincoln Monument, WWII Monument, Arlington Cemetary, etc etc. But that's all we've got on the list so far.

We will not be renting a car so we'll be relying heavily on public transportation. I think we'll be there for about a week or so. That should be enough to see most of the sights.. right?

Also, if you guys know of any good hostels or hotels in the DC and NYC area, I'd love to hear about it as well.

Anyways, I'd love to hear your suggestions and recommendations!
Image[/url]
KoffeinFlummi
Supporting Member
Supporting Member

Re: East Coasters.. I'd love your opinion/suggestions!

Post by KoffeinFlummi »

You could go a bit further and come visit me... :P
Fields
Supporting Member
Supporting Member

Post by Fields »

A week should be long enough for any trip. Any longer and you'll get sick of the place :P
Jokerle
Supporting Member
Supporting Member

Post by Jokerle »

KoffeinFlummi wrote:You could go a bit further and come visit me... :P
you live in the ocean? That could explain a lot... k:angel:
Wat ne Wuchtbrumme!
KoffeinFlummi
Supporting Member
Supporting Member

Post by KoffeinFlummi »

Jokerle wrote:you live in the ocean? That could explain a lot... k:angel:
Róka

Post by Róka »

Try to spend ~2 days in DC, the rest of the week in NYC :thumbup:
ImageImage
haruky
Supporting Member
Supporting Member

Post by haruky »

Flummi, as much as I love you, the ocean is pretty uninhabitable.. But I do love that gif..

I talked to Duke about DC and got some good infos. If any others would like to chirp in, please do! I'm taking notes. :mrgreen:
Image[/url]
zorplex
Supporting Member
Supporting Member

Post by zorplex »

If you like museums, the Smithsonian at the National Mall in DC has some of the best museums in the world. I spent all day in the Air and Space museum and the hangar that you take a shuttle bus to visit. Getting to see an SR-71, the Concorde and the Space Shuttle Discovery (among so many others) up close in the hangar was amazing. Plus the Apollo 11 Command Module, Wright Flyer, Spirit of St. Louis (and so many others!) at the main museum. It's a must see for any aviation enthusiast.

I didn't get to spend much/any time at the other museums since I only had a couple free days and it would take way too long to visit them all, so just plan ahead and pick one or two to visit depending on your interests. I'm sure they are all great!

Visiting the National Library and sitting in on a congressional or supreme court hearing can be fun as well if you are interested in politics. I believe there are also public tours of the Capitol building, Pentagon and maybe the White House though I was with a large group when I visited who were there on special invitation so I don't know what difference it makes. The war memorials and Arlington cemetery are somber but special places to visit as well. It might be a bit cold if you are visiting in the winter but I would still make it a point to see the war memorials as they are rather impressive and they are on the National Mall with many of the other sights to visit so you can include them on a National Mall visit. The changing of the guard at Arlington is nice (dare I say fun) to watch and Robert E. Lee's house is open to the public which is cool if you are interested in Civil War history but I wouldn't go out of your way to go see either unless you are really interested in them as Arlington Cemetery is rather isolated from the other sights. There is also the national records with the US Constitution and Declaration of Independence which is kind of neat to see, but it isn't really worth waiting in line unless you are a history nut. (Yes there was a line and no there wasn't much else to see but a bunch of papers in dim lights) The Holocaust museum is depressing; I guess it's worth going if you have time to spare but I wouldn't go out of my way for it and I probably wouldn't want to visit it twice.

If you know anyone in DC or someone that goes to Georgetown, the area around the university has a decent night life but it's nothing really special unless you want to hang out with friends. One thing that is rather crazy is just how clean the streets of DC proper are. Depending on where you go, the difference between NY and DC will be night and day.

Unfortunately, I've never been to NY:NY. Hopefully I'll get to in the future.
Get a free Planetside 2 starter pack! Shameless PS2 recruitment link!
BF3C2-L • Hitcorp • Staff Sergeant ~§~ BF3C3-L • PRIDe • Captain ~§~ BF3C4-L • Gladius • Captain BF3C5-W • Legion of Doom • Captain Image
BF3C6-L • UNSC • PFC ~§~ BF4C1-L • Allies • PRVT ~§~ BF4C2-W • 9th MEU • P2C
BF4C3 • Corleone Family • HCImage
BF4C4 • SAD JANUS • HC
Cheesy
Executive
Executive

Post by Cheesy »

If you're in NYC, go to Kenka and try the Bull Penis and Turkey Testicles!
matsif
Executive
Executive

Post by matsif »

Cheesy wrote:If you're in NYC, go to Kenka and try the Bull Penis and Turkey Testicles!
do they have the perennial GC delicacy of jellied eels?
woke up this morning, put on my slippers, walked in the kitchen and died
undrt0w
Supporting Member
Supporting Member

Post by undrt0w »

Man, if you are close to DC you should def grab the greyhound to NYC!

I really like that crazy ass city. Been there twice and it's the only place I've seen TV on the radio at Radio City Music Hall, got hit by a dude, offered weed while sitting in the cab on a traffic light by some Dominican guys in the car next to me and offered to go to maybe the worst strip club in town....all in the same night! :thumbup: :clap:
Welcome Committee Member
What is GC? | Getting Started at GC | Campaign Sign-up Video | FAQ | Forum Netiquette

New Members do you need help?
Find me on TS or send me a PM
haruky
Supporting Member
Supporting Member

Post by haruky »

@Zorplex: Thanks for the advice! I'll definitely try and check those out when I'm there.

@Cheesy and Matsif: :mrgreen: :mrgreen: :mrgreen:

@Undertow: If I did not know that the subject of the thread was about NYC and DC, I would have thought you were talking about somewhere in Russia..

Anyway, I've booked tickets and a place to stay! I'll be landing 12/12 and staying for the weekend before I jump up to NYC. If there are any DC GCers, I'd love to meet ya. Duke and I are planning to meet for drinks so come join us!
Image[/url]