Need assistance from the germans

Off-topic discussion, where anyone can talk about almost anything.

Moderator: Executive

Hashey

Need assistance from the germans

Post by Hashey »

So next year I'm planning to go to Border War in the Czech Republic. This is a big airsoft milsim event held every year. Now for some reason transporting airsolf rifles(or anything with airsoft in general, I'm not sure) is illegal in Germany, but someone that went last year said there is now a sort of exemption you can get called a Versandanmeldung. In simple words a transport declaration.

Hoping for any of the germans to confirm this or help me find some info on this part.
Gonzo
Executive
Executive

Re: Need assistance from the germans

Post by Gonzo »

I'm absolutely no expert here, so don't take my word for it, but from what I'm reading on this, you should be okay if you just keep the weapon in a closed case (§42a (2) 2 WaffG), since it is an "anscheinswaffe", something that looks like a weapon, but doesn't use hot gases to propel the projectile (Anl. 1 zu §1 Abs. 4 WaffG, Abschnitt 1.6.1). As I understand it, if the weapon has neon-colored parts or is at least 50% smaller or larger than the real deal, you don't even need the closed case, since it's obvious it's not a real weapon, but I wouldn't push it.

In any case, if customs stop you, you should definitely tell them about it to avoid any misunderstandings. Don't let them find the thing on their own.

I'm pretty sure the Versandanmeldung is only needed if you send it through Germany by mail.

Make sure to get a second opinion on this though, because if I'm wrong (and german law is so complicated I could've easily gotten it wrong) you could end up doing time, or at the very least get a nasty fine. German gun laws are nothing to frak with.
StarfisherEcho
Executive
Executive

Post by StarfisherEcho »

Is there anything German that we can frak with?
ImageImageImage
Gonzo
Executive
Executive

Post by Gonzo »

StarfisherEcho wrote:Is there anything German that we can frak with?
Well, prostitution is legal here, so whores I guess. Don't frak with Pimps though, they have their own way of dealing with stuff. Here's a clip from a documentary about one from Hamburg when somebody photobombs them:
phpBB [video]

Translation: You got a problem? Move on!
*Slap*
Any other problems? Thought so.
Jokerle
Supporting Member
Supporting Member

Post by Jokerle »

airsoft is not illegal in germany. There are sites where u can play it, so...

The thing is that u are not allowed to carry any object that resembles a real weapon in public. Only in special or private (and closed) areas. U need to be 18y to own one.

BUT, it depends what kind of airsoft weapon it is. If they are strong (greater 0.5 Joule) one needs permission/license to carry them around.

if google translate is any help, I found this overview: http://www.waffenbude.de/Wichtige_Informationen.htm
Wat ne Wuchtbrumme!
Hashey

Post by Hashey »

Hmmm Jokerle, I think all of the airsoft weapons we use are 1 Joule or higher. Most areas we play at usually have limits on the amount of fps. Over here it's a limit of 360 fps on automatic AEG's, which is 1.2 Joules. But then the question is, are we allowed to have them in the trunk of our car/bus/hovercraft when we're heading to an event in Czech R. Or do we need to apply for something so we can carry them through?

Our team leader is also gonna contact german customs about this, but wanted to get some quick info.
Róka

Post by Róka »

No expert either but on top of what G0nzo said about letting them know before they find out on their own, saying, "I have an airsoft toy (or whatever) in the back" is better than saying, "I have an airsoft gun in the back".
ImageImage
Jokerle
Supporting Member
Supporting Member

Post by Jokerle »

Hashey wrote:. Or do we need to apply for something so we can carry them through?
there is a special paragraph about transporting the "toy". In this case you dont need a permission.
it is vaguely formulated, though.
Wat ne Wuchtbrumme!
ZombieToof
Supporting Member
Supporting Member

Post by ZombieToof »

Jokerle wrote:
Hashey wrote:. Or do we need to apply for something so we can carry them through?
there is a special paragraph about transporting the "toy". In this case you don't need a permission.
it is vaguely formulated, though.
Airsoft weapons <0.5 joule are not covered by the German weapon law, so they are free to buy, own and shoot. But if they look like real weapons you have to carry them in public in a closed cases. ( -> Anscheinswaffe)

> 0.5 < 7.5 joule are weapons covered by law, but you are allowed to own them without special permissions/license and without registering the weapon (which would be a 'Waffenbesitzkarte'). So they are free to own without a special license, can be sold to people above 18 years and have to be marked specially (A octagon with an F inside). The obligation to mark weapons applies only to manufacturers and commercial sellers, so you should be fine here.

Transport outside of private property: If you are allowed to own a weapon, you additionally need a special license to carry it in the public ready to use ("eine Waffe führen" != transport, -> needs a "Waffenschein"). Unless you have that you are only allowed to transport it secured (A solid, locked case or a locked (!) trunk you cannot reach from inside) not ready to shoot (no bullets in the weapon or the magazines in the weapon). People younger than 18 are not allowed to transport weapons in any way.
In Germany you get a license to own a weapon only for a special purpose, which is usually comp or hunting. You are only allowed to transport the weapon for that purpose, e.g. to/from the shooting range. You are not allowed to carry it with you all the time. I'm not sure if that applies to airsoft weapons < 7.5 joule in any way as you do not need a license. Also there are rules how to store/keep the weapons in private properties, but these seem to apply only to weapons you need a license for, so not to airsoft weapons <7.5 joule.

Usage: Airsoft weapons covered by law (>0.5 <7.5 joule) are allowed to be shot like real weapons in special shooting ranges, and additionally specially secured private properties where the bullet cannot leave the property. That's the reason they are pretty uncommon here. cause you need high walls the bullets can't pass or a huge distance form a inner wall/fence to the outer fence/neighbor properties and a lot of other security measures or a closed building. If the event takes place on German property you should talk to them if your weapon is allowed in general.

Wikipedia says that fully automatic airsoft weapons (> 0.5 joule) are completely forbidden even if they have < 7.5 joule.

Regarding the police. They are usually relaxed here. If I would be asked I'd rather say that I have an airsoft gun than an airsoft toy. As probably anywhere you can only win a bit of sympathy if you are open and honest, and they will judge the situation based on what they see and their knowledge of the law anyway. And I think you'll get your gun through Germany completely legal. Just carry papers for you weapon that show it is < 7.5 joule with you, and maybe some printed information about weapon transport in Germany to show that you care just in case.

General wikipedia article:
http://de.wikipedia.org/wiki/Softairwaffe

Information from the german competetive shooters associsation (DSB) about the weapon law (not airsoft related): http://www.dsb.de/infothek/recht/waffen ... ffenrecht/
Information from the DSB about weapon transport (mostly applies to your airsoft weapon):
http://www.dsb.de/media/PDF/Recht/Waffe ... 2.2010.pdf

Some descriptions from a German airsoft association (mostly about weapons < 0.5 joule, dunno how trustyworth:) http://www.airsoft-initiative.de/rechts ... rsoft.html
…I'm made of mountains, made of metal, made of whiskey, and waves! You won't believe your own breath, when the bold words finally escape your mouth. Keep your secrets hidden, till we're certain of just what we've found. Yeah, they bleed just like us, but our calling is what shapes us now. We won't be held back, won't be tied up, we won't be pinned down. Not now. Astronautalis: "Dimitri Mendeleev"
Hashey

Post by Hashey »

Thanks guys for the info. Zombie, that info clears up alot seeing as we're probably gonna go by bus, so we can store our stuff in the bottom, out of immediate reach in locked cases/bags. Usually people around here try to avoid the Airsoft 'gun' aswell and either say AA(Airsoft Apparaat = Machine) or use Airsoft Replica(this makes it known it is an airsoft copy of a real steel firearm).
Fanne
Supporting Member
Supporting Member

Post by Fanne »

With all weapons, best thing, when you got stoped by police or simular forces, is to tell about them before, imagine the reaction of a 22 year old officer finds a real looking weapon, or a arsenal of those ( you travel by group ).
A friend of mine is a kind of undercover police unit, if he travels for work he's got a sniper + automatic assaualt in the back of the car + the normal pistol on his body, he always is worryed if the road police stops him 'cos they even start to get nervous if he tells something about weapons in his car.
Another friend is playing airsoft as well and he traveled to belgium sometimes, I've never heard about any problems with it.
-maybe it'll be difenent to carry those guns to the east with the situation in ukraine or someone think you goin to join IS :wink: