Nvidia GTX 970 is crazy good

Off-topic discussion, where anyone can talk about almost anything.

Moderator: Executive

matsif
Executive
Executive

Nvidia GTX 970 is crazy good

Post by matsif »

All benchmarks up currently that I could find in a 5 minute search are showing this thing either edging out AMD's 290x for half the cost or just barely losing for gaming application, with a huge heat and power difference. AMD's still destroying Nvidia as far as computation stuff, but since I'm not coin mining at all I don't really care.

I used to prefer AMD for a cost/benefit ratio (generally got more for less), but as I'm in the market for a new card right now while my ancient HD7850 whines away I'm probably going to swap over. This thing is on par with high end cards for half the price, lower heat and power consumption, etc.

Just waiting for that auto notify on newegg since I wasn't as cool as ceki and didn't buy one on day 1 cause I'm not that MLG.
woke up this morning, put on my slippers, walked in the kitchen and died
King6moh
Supporting Member
Supporting Member

Re: Nvidia GTX 970 is crazy good

Post by King6moh »

The new 900 series is truly one of the best GPU lines ever released. Like you said, lower power consumption, insane benchmarks, and operating temperatures.

I wouldn't count AMD out though as they are yet to release any news on their new line of GPU's. In the end, we're the winners when it comes to the price and quality!
Nix

Post by Nix »

Stop making me cry.

:(
MAAfield 4: MAA Rising, Second MAA, MAA Strike, MAA's Teeth, Final MAA, MAA Operations, Community MAA and Legacy MAA
zorplex
Supporting Member
Supporting Member

Post by zorplex »

Yeah, I picked up a 7970 on sale and a 280x last fall for BF4 for around $500 total and made part of that back mining crypto coins. I'm considering trying to sell them both if I can manage to break even buying a 970. The reason I didn't go with nVidia last year was VRAM and Mantle. Mantle is okay but the 900 series seems to make that a moot point especially with the 4GB of VRAM. It would be nice being able to have full power in windowed mode at less than half the power usage.

EDIT: Only catch is I'll be using my 6 year old video cards until the 970 is back in stock if I try to get one now. lol
Get a free Planetside 2 starter pack! Shameless PS2 recruitment link!
BF3C2-L • Hitcorp • Staff Sergeant ~§~ BF3C3-L • PRIDe • Captain ~§~ BF3C4-L • Gladius • Captain BF3C5-W • Legion of Doom • Captain Image
BF3C6-L • UNSC • PFC ~§~ BF4C1-L • Allies • PRVT ~§~ BF4C2-W • 9th MEU • P2C
BF4C3 • Corleone Family • HCImage
BF4C4 • SAD JANUS • HC
matsif
Executive
Executive

Post by matsif »

King6moh wrote: I wouldn't count AMD out though as they are yet to release any news on their new line of GPU's. In the end, we're the winners when it comes to the price and quality!
It's been over 2 weeks at this point and AMD has had no response at all, not even price dropping. Considering the 970 is by all accounts at least matching the 290x in gaming performance, they'll have to do something pretty drastic considering the hit they've taken on mantle by going with BF4. Unless they drop 20nm transistor process cores on a card within the next month I doubt I'm going to bother waiting.
woke up this morning, put on my slippers, walked in the kitchen and died
Gwynzer
Executive
Executive

Post by Gwynzer »

I've got a pretty good card atm, it's the newest part of my machine, but the 970 is not just crazy good, it's crazy affordable (for the performance).

Very tempted to go for it. Very much.
ZombieToof
Supporting Member
Supporting Member

Post by ZombieToof »

Gwynzer wrote:I've got a pretty good card atm, it's the newest part of my machine, but the 970 is not just crazy good, it's crazy affordable (for the performance).

Very tempted to go for it. Very much.
Same here. My 660ti caps the framerate in Planetside 2, which is surprising and pretty meh cause I play on mostly low settings. And I have to reduce the factory OC settings to around the offical nvidea spec otherwise battlefield crashes constantly. Which is pretty meh too. A 970 seems to be a nice option currently. I thought about buying one of the faster AMD cards bit coiners sell on ebay, but a new 970 sounds nicer.
…I'm made of mountains, made of metal, made of whiskey, and waves! You won't believe your own breath, when the bold words finally escape your mouth. Keep your secrets hidden, till we're certain of just what we've found. Yeah, they bleed just like us, but our calling is what shapes us now. We won't be held back, won't be tied up, we won't be pinned down. Not now. Astronautalis: "Dimitri Mendeleev"
KaptenKarp

Post by KaptenKarp »

I've ordered a GTX 970 STRIX :D

Coming Oct 4 to the supplier

I saw some benchmarking numbers from a Swedish hardware site that showed a GTX 980 is performing better then a titan :O
BF3:C6 PFC - S.C.A.R.
BF4:C1 LT - Soviet
BF4:C3 CPT - LN7
King6moh
Supporting Member
Supporting Member

Post by King6moh »

matsif wrote: It's been over 2 weeks at this point and AMD has had no response at all, not even price dropping. Considering the 970 is by all accounts at least matching the 290x in gaming performance, they'll have to do something pretty drastic considering the hit they've taken on mantle by going with BF4. Unless they drop 20nm transistor process cores on a card within the next month I doubt I'm going to bother waiting.
Yeah it is kinda weird that they haven't released anything yet. I guess it's a waiting game now.
undrt0w
Supporting Member
Supporting Member

Post by undrt0w »

Nvidia should be releasing some new cards with the Pascal architecture early 2015...if they cost too much, I will jump for the 970 as well. Already trying to sell one my 7950s.
Welcome Committee Member
What is GC? | Getting Started at GC | Campaign Sign-up Video | FAQ | Forum Netiquette

New Members do you need help?
Find me on TS or send me a PM
Ash2Dust
Executive
Executive

Post by Ash2Dust »

I've been mostly Nvidia camp because the drivers tended to be more reliable than my gaming AMD experiences. Still, it seems the last couple years I've seen some AMD GPU machines doing pretty good at a great price.
Sounds like Nvidia has put together a godly card like the Geforce 2 was. I hope AMD stays in the ballpark otherwise we will pay an arm and a leg to Nvidia if they don't have competition.