IT'S HAPPENING

Off-topic discussion, where anyone can talk about almost anything.

Moderator: Executive

CekiHappy
Supporting Member
Supporting Member

IT'S HAPPENING

Post by CekiHappy »

phpBB [video]
Gwynzer
Executive
Executive

Re: IT'S HAPPENING

Post by Gwynzer »

Tatooine again? Goddamnit.
RazY70
Supporting Member
Supporting Member

Post by RazY70 »

dafaq?! 8O

Why do the need to come up with those ridiculous configurations?

To be honest, anything would be better than the prequels, but we'll see.
Calloutman
Executive
Executive

Post by Calloutman »

HYPE INTENSIFIES!!!
BF3 || C2 Lead Operative || C3 Brigadier General || C4 Major General || C5 Private First Class || C6 General
BF4 || C1 TA || C2 TA || C3 TA || C4 Serviceman || C5 Duke
Kilo
Supporting Member
Supporting Member

Post by Kilo »

I've learned never to be hyped but it looks good.
Battlefield Tournament History
BF3C4: STAR Infantry Private 2Image
BF3C5: LOD Infantry Private
BF3C6: UNSC Infantry Private First Class
BF4C1: USSR Infantry Conscript
BF4C2: GoCI Infantry Private First Class
BF4C3: LN7 Infantry Private
BF4C4: JANUS Armor Private
BF4C5: KTSS SAS Captain
BF4C6: SAD Infantry CorporalImage
BF4C7: GC Infantry Captain
zorplex
Supporting Member
Supporting Member

Post by zorplex »

RazY70 wrote:dafaq?! 8O

I think it's a cross guard. Makes a lot of sense to me.
Get a free Planetside 2 starter pack! Shameless PS2 recruitment link!
BF3C2-L • Hitcorp • Staff Sergeant ~§~ BF3C3-L • PRIDe • Captain ~§~ BF3C4-L • Gladius • Captain BF3C5-W • Legion of Doom • Captain Image
BF3C6-L • UNSC • PFC ~§~ BF4C1-L • Allies • PRVT ~§~ BF4C2-W • 9th MEU • P2C
BF4C3 • Corleone Family • HCImage
BF4C4 • SAD JANUS • HC
CrookedBarrel

Post by CrookedBarrel »

zorplex wrote:
RazY70 wrote:dafaq?! 8O

I think it's a cross guard. Makes a lot of sense to me.
I don't doubt that it's intended to resemble one, but because the side emitters stick out past the main beam, surely it'll get sliced off when another sabre hits it. Somehow it looks as if they're drains to keep the main beam stable, even they are only activated after it.

Also, both the title itself as well as the way it's presented visually by those rotating letters look cheap. As do some of the other visual elements. This could be a fan trailer if it weren't on the official Star Wars channel. That's the "vibe" I get from it.

We'll have to see how it turns out. I'm not convinced they can't do worse than the prequels, but hopefully they'll spare us the insufferable characters this time(Jar-Jar, little Ani, Haiden Mc. Whinyface, etc..). Though that rolling droid head thing did look like comic relief.

EDIT: Just a thought: What if you could redistribute power between the emitters, so you could make the sides full length while the main goes short. If you spin the hilt that could be good for defence.
Though, it does seem impractical to have a defensive feature like a cross guard made from an energy beam which will slice any body parts(your own included) clean off if they come in contact. More of a liability than anything else as you'll always have to be careful not to have it touch you, and because of the aforementioned emitter placement preventing it from serving it's suggested purpose.
"Of course he looks like the suspect, that don't make him guilty! You look like an idiot, that doesn't mean you are one." -Ken Rosenberg
BF4 C3 TCF Sgt
BF4 C4 SAD Cpt
BF4 C5 EVIL WO
BF4 C6 TCF Col
Gwynzer
Executive
Executive

Post by Gwynzer »

CrookedBarrel wrote: I don't doubt that it's intended to resemble one, but because the side emitters stick out past the main beam, surely it'll get sliced off when another sabre hits it. Somehow it looks as if they're drains to keep the main beam stable, even they are only activated after it.
Not necessarily. The Beam could actually be coming from the hilt but the metal is there is a "guard" around the beam to stop fingers being sliced off. If another saber were to sliced down there it could very well stop at the guard and just cut off the metal around the beam.

I'm agreeing that they seem to be more some kind of drain, or exaust. The blade we see is pretty unstable, and also a lot longer, it's possible that the "knowledge" of how to make a proper sabre has been lost and only Luke and his selected retain the knowhow. He;s got energy it has to bleed off and that's the way they are doing it.

I just hope it's not going to end up being something of a super awesome reveal in the films. They fraked up EP1 with that. Every single trailer for the film showed Maul igniting the other side of his lightsaber. Imagine how amazing that would have been if they didn't show that and the first time you saw it is when it happened in the film? That would have redeemed the film in the eyes of a lot of people, I think :P . Let's hope this won't end up being a similar style screwup.

I was telling the guys on Teamspeak, I originally thought it was a spoof to begin with. With "Token Black Man StormTrooper" (after watching Iron Sky I was a bit dissapointed he didn't have black skintight armour :P ), the stupid droid that looks like it could be a regulation soccer ball, the slightly campy looking stormies and E-11s, then the meh X-Wing pilot. Then you saw the X-Wings and it's like WOW STAR WARS. until then, and after seeing the droid, I thought it was going to be some Soccer parody.
Jokerle
Supporting Member
Supporting Member

Post by Jokerle »

Gwynzer wrote:
I'm agreeing that they seem to be more some kind of drain, or exaust. The blade we see is pretty unstable, and also a lot longer, it's possible that the "knowledge" of how to make a proper sabre has been lost and only Luke and his selected retain the knowhow. He;s got energy it has to bleed off and that's the way they are doing it.
the red blades are made from artificial crystals and have a ''natural'' tendency to be unstable. Early-years Sith sabers could even fail completely during a fight. Also, they were often run with a higher power level and could potentially even overpower the jedi sabers (not sure what the entails...). high risk high rewards. no pussy 8)

Side emitters do make sense from a defensive point of view (protecting your hands), at the cost of a less artistic fighting style (not uncommon for Siths). Blade manipulation (length, thickness) was a common feature and nothing fancy (adjust emitters), the difficulties with building process is getting a stable beam/energy flow, which involves using the force to attune the crystal with the power source (or something like this)
Wat ne Wuchtbrumme!
RazY70
Supporting Member
Supporting Member

Post by RazY70 »

Yeah, I know it's supposed to resemble a cross-guard. The design itself is problematic as Crooked noted, and has already generated quite the hoopla on the interwebz. Even the Washington Post addressed the issue:
http://www.washingtonpost.com/blogs/the ... yre-wrong/
http://www.washingtonpost.com/blogs/the ... ible-idea/

But my problem is that unquenchable thirst to reinvent the wheel but in a much cooler way. We already had a cool concept with the lightsaber. Do they really need to find something silly in order to make it look more hip? Did someone think, hey this is a kind of a sword, wouldn't it be neat if it also had a guard?

CekiHappy
Supporting Member
Supporting Member

Post by CekiHappy »

Gwynzer
Executive
Executive

Post by Gwynzer »

The problem with your entire post, Joker, is that the old lore has been cast aside and stomped into the ground so can't really be accurately referenced anymore :(. After the films I believe the Jedi were also using SynthCrystals to power their blades (around the same period this film is set). Something they made a slightly offhanded remark about in an early novel and seemed to completely forget about when it came to the Fate of the Jedi series in dealing with the NewSith.

Of course that has also been cast aside. The worst thing they've done to the lore yet I think is when I heard they were calling Calrission's son "bubba". Wtf. His name was Chance and that's a super fitting name for the character, damnit!
Jokerle
Supporting Member
Supporting Member

Post by Jokerle »

Gwynzer wrote: After the films I believe the Jedi were also using SynthCrystals to power their blades (around the same period this film is set).
yes, knowledge about harvesting the proper crystals was lost for a while, that changed however. Luke's 1st saber was done using a synthetic crystal i believe.
I dont think the canon really changed much and my post is, although more historical (pre-films), still valid.
Wat ne Wuchtbrumme!
Gwynzer
Executive
Executive

Post by Gwynzer »

Canon changed bigtime. The old stuff may not have been "overwritten" yet but it has been stated that all the EU stuff that's came out previously is now non-cannon. It's just the Post-EPVI stuff which has been rewritten for now.

Jokerle
Supporting Member
Supporting Member

Post by Jokerle »

seems i am not up to date anymore :roll:

---

Anyway, I would have really liked to see a light-wip 8)
Wat ne Wuchtbrumme!