China

Off-topic discussion, where anyone can talk about almost anything.

Moderator: Executive

Róka

China

Post by Róka »

I'm going to be visiting China late June - early July. First time flying over the Pacific with exception to Hawaii... but that doesn't really count. Kind of scared. I've been on every continent except Australia, Antarctica, and Asia so it's nice to be crossing that off my bucket list. Any tips? Food, visiting places, activities, etc.
EDIT: Oh, and I'll be mainly in Shanghai and Beijing but will probably go out of the way to go sightseeing so definitely let me know about anything worthwhile - although it doesn't seem like there will be anything uninteresting.
ImageImage
o1oo1
Supporting Member
Supporting Member

Re: China

Post by o1oo1 »

When going through customs use your hands to make squinty eyes and go "ching chong ping pong" . They really love that and it will make the start of your trip awesome
Jokerle
Supporting Member
Supporting Member

Post by Jokerle »

stay away from street food unless you know your stomach really well. :wink:
Wat ne Wuchtbrumme!
Gwynzer
Executive
Executive

Post by Gwynzer »

o1oo1 wrote:When going through customs use your hands to make squinty eyes and go "ching chong ping pong" . They really love that and it will make the start of your trip awesome

QFT!
Róka

Post by Róka »

Gwynzer wrote:
o1oo1 wrote:When going through customs use your hands to make squinty eyes and go "ching chong ping pong" . They really love that and it will make the start of your trip awesome

QFT!
:lol: I was daydreaming the other day about trying to spark up any conversation and accidentally kicking in my pro asian accent/impersonation and then burst out laughing at my own voice
ImageImage
Róka

Post by Róka »

Jokerle wrote:stay away from street food unless you know your stomach really well. :wink:
Well I always eat at random food trucks in cities like Austin and NY and never had stomach problems, should I be extra careful with the street food in China? I'm not much of a seafood guy but it's Asia so I might as well try everything amirite
ImageImage
THUNDER AXE

Post by THUNDER AXE »

I was in China a few years back and I found some of the street food to be the best. especially if you go to a night time food market where you can try all sorts of exotic stuff like Scorpion, Crickets, Grasshoppers, etc. also remember if you do buy anything from the markets that isn't food, except it to break the next day. other than that, in Shanghai, remember to go out at night time, because the city completely changes, and if you can and I know it sounds typical but go to the great wall. it is actually a very nice place.
AUSSIE AUSSIE AUSSIE. OI OI OI
aka
Stolzy_Burger
Jokerle
Supporting Member
Supporting Member

Post by Jokerle »

Róka wrote:
Jokerle wrote:stay away from street food unless you know your stomach really well. :wink:
Well I always eat at random food trucks in cities like Austin and NY and never had stomach problems, should I be extra careful with the street food in China? I'm not much of a seafood guy but it's Asia so I might as well try everything amirite
different spices and bacteria*. Start slowly to adjust. If you always eat through all kind of cultural food in the states it is less an issue.

(* not just because hygiene is not always proper standard)
Wat ne Wuchtbrumme!
Róka

Post by Róka »

THUNDER AXE wrote:in Shanghai, remember to go out at night time, because the city completely changes
:wink: :?:
Spoiler: show
phpBB [video]
ImageImage
Gonzo
Executive
Executive

Post by Gonzo »

phpBB [video]
Stonie
Executive
Executive

Post by Stonie »

phpBB [video]
haruky
Supporting Member
Supporting Member

Post by haruky »

Beware the smog!! I've had some friends live there for a while and they say it is serious business.

Also, since it's pretty close, see if you can visit Korea! There are some really great stuff there.
Image[/url]
Róka

Post by Róka »

Got this email from International SOS this morning :oops:
Spoiler: show
China: Shanghai: Avoid any further protests in Jinshan district over proposed relocation of chemical plant

Further localised protests are possible in the Jinshan district of Shanghai in the coming days over the proposed relocation of a chemical plant to the area. Approximately 1,000 protesters demonstrated peacefully outside local government offices in the area on 22-23 June amid tight security. Members should avoid all related gatherings as a routine security precaution.

Travel Briefing

Protests over controversial industrial projects are a regular occurrence throughout the country. While these sometimes lead to incidents of localised clashes between protesters and the security forces, most are peaceful. Nevertheless, travellers should avoid the vicinity of all such protests as any unrest or clashes between demonstrators and the security forces can pose incidental risks to any bystanders.

Travel Advice Summary
  1. Avoid all protests as a basic security precaution, and allow additional time to complete journeys through areas where demonstrations are planned or known to be occurring. Do not stop to watch or take pictures of any protest gatherings.
  • If you encounter any unrest, quickly but calmly vacate the area and, where possible to do so safely, return to a safe location, such as your accommodation or office and remain there until the situation stabilises.
  • Monitor our travel security alerts for related updates, and contact your nearest Assistance Centre for itinerary- and profile-specific advice on China.
ImageImage
Stonie
Executive
Executive

Post by Stonie »

. Do not stop to watch or take pictures of any protest gatherings.
Despite the commercial progress, it still has a communistic government.

Would be cool to visit one of those modern ghost cities they build
Nix

Post by Nix »

China sounds like a great place amirite?
MAAfield 4: MAA Rising, Second MAA, MAA Strike, MAA's Teeth, Final MAA, MAA Operations, Community MAA and Legacy MAA