Travel to Europe. Have some questions..

Off-topic discussion, where anyone can talk about almost anything.

Moderator: Executive

haruky
Supporting Member
Supporting Member

Travel to Europe. Have some questions..

Post by haruky »

Hi everyone.

I'm trying to gauge some things I'm planning for the next year or so. I've always wanted to travel around for a few months without any responsibilities to worry about. I'm still relatively young and I figure it's going to be easiest to do this now, than when I have more things to worry about, like a mortgage and what not...

Traveling means the opportunity to meet some of you bastards. I've already met a couple of you (mrBlue, Dukie Duke), but it'd be nice to see some other faces that I've known for the past few years! So where are all of you guys and how interested would you be in meeting up?? I know a lot of you guys are in the UK so maybe we can all have a big get-together.

Also, I'd love some tips and advice on traveling in Europe. I've got some money to spend, but I'd really like to limit it as much as possible. Is there a cheap way to get around between country borders? What about food and lodging? I know this is asking a lot, but would any GCers be generous enough to lend me a couch to crash on if I'm in the country?

In any case, looking forward to some responses and potentially meeting you guys!
Last edited by haruky on Sat Jun 18, 2016 11:35 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Image[/url]
Gwynzer
Executive
Executive

Re: Travel to Europe. Meet some of yous.

Post by Gwynzer »

You simply must go to London. I think quite a lot of us UK people can make it there without too much fuss, I'm up for that journey again. We can cuddle up on Sloths couch :P
SeraphiM0352
Supporting Member
Supporting Member

Post by SeraphiM0352 »

You are always welcome at my place Haruky.
A Docile Sloth
Executive
Executive

Post by A Docile Sloth »

Advises for travelling in Europe:

Take your time.
Europe may not be as big as America but it's full things and different cultures. A family friend was over here from America and he spent two weeks and went from Spain to Germany to the UK. By the sounds of it, 80% of his time was spent in a car and not out and about soaking up culture and the sights.

Watch your currency.
Not everywhere in the EU uses the Euro. Most people know this stuff but I've seen UK people do this too. Turn up to Denmark or Switzerland and try to pay with Euros and they may give you a funny look. They may take them but don't rely on it. Taking the right currency will stop you having to take more out while away. Although most places will take a Visa or Master Card if you forget.

Don't travel in July and August if you can help it.
Probably true of most places. July and August are the summer holidays for schools so prices for hotels/hostels increases because money.

Moving around Europe.
From my limited experience of crossing borders in Europe, it is pretty simple. Just show up with ID and they'll let you across. Some borders don't even need ID. I've heard of people travelling from the UK to Europe who didn't have to show ID until they got back to the UK but I don't know if that would extend to non EU citizens (wouldn't be surprised if it did).
The UK border will ask to see your Passport along with Ireland and non EU countries (some might not if they are in the EEC).

Other than that, I can only really get specific for the UK and London stuff (stand on the right of the escalators dam it :evil: )

Oh, and I'm always down for a GC meet.
ICallIDTheft

Post by ICallIDTheft »

A Docile Sloth wrote: From my limited experience of crossing borders in Europe, it is pretty simple. Just show up with ID and they'll let you across. Some borders don't even need ID. I've heard of people travelling from the UK to Europe who didn't have to show ID until they got back to the UK but I don't know if that would extend to non EU citizens (wouldn't be surprised if it did).
All the border guards are my homies, we are pretty tight.
haruky
Supporting Member
Supporting Member

Post by haruky »

Hah. Cuddle party at Sloth's. :thumbup:

@Seraphim: :oops: You too, are welcome if you are ever in the PNW!
I am definitely making a stop in London. As of now, my plan is probably to start in SE Asia.

My friend is having her wedding in the Philippines in March. I was hoping to use this opportunity as starting point for the travels.

First off, I have some primary destinations I'd really like to go to:

UK
France
Germany
Greece
Netherlands

I would love to visit other countries too, but depending on budget, I may be limited.. Or if there are any GCers dying to see me for whatever reason... what country are you in ?? In any case Are there any other recommendations you guys would have for the countries on my list? And what would be the best way to get to these locations? Luckily, they're all contiguous so they're traveable by land. It also sounds like RyanAir is super cheap and the Eurail might be a good option as well. Also, for GCers that live in these locations, any specific places that are must sees/eats/visits/etc? Places I should stay for lodging? Places I should avoid?

My plan is to travel around for about 6ish months. Some of it will be in SE Asia during my Philippines trip, some of it will be in Europe, and some of it will be in East Asia.
Image[/url]
fUNh1t

Post by fUNh1t »

You can visit me in Russia, because I'm bored.
ViperXVII
Supporting Member
Supporting Member

Post by ViperXVII »

Trains are very cheap if you get the pass for it, like 60 euro for 7000 km or something crazy, might want to look that up :)
Stonie
Executive
Executive

Post by Stonie »

haruky wrote: Netherlands
You are welcome at my place.
If you arrange you own accommodation let me know when you are visiting, I am sure you would not mind to smoke one with me
ZombieToof
Supporting Member
Supporting Member

Post by ZombieToof »

Hey haruky,
haruky wrote: Germany
Then you are welcome here too. I live in a city near Frankfurt, 1/2 hour from the airport. Many people come here to see some towns along the Rhine where you are guaranteed to only meet tourists :). Train connection in the Frankfurt area are great. If you are into wine you will love it.

In Europe you can travel a lot quite cheap with Eurail or Interrail tickets. They are available Europe wide or for different groups of countries, and allow either unlimited travel or traveling on a number of days within 1 or two month.
The tickets are cheaper for Europeans as Interrail Tickets.
http://www.eurail.com/eurail-passes
http://www.interrail.eu/interrail-passes

And I know it's not on your list, but Italy is worth a visit any time too.
…I'm made of mountains, made of metal, made of whiskey, and waves! You won't believe your own breath, when the bold words finally escape your mouth. Keep your secrets hidden, till we're certain of just what we've found. Yeah, they bleed just like us, but our calling is what shapes us now. We won't be held back, won't be tied up, we won't be pinned down. Not now. Astronautalis: "Dimitri Mendeleev"
Jokerle
Supporting Member
Supporting Member

Post by Jokerle »

Greece is in a severe financial crisis these days, it might not be a good destination currently.

I dont what kind of tourism you are interest in, but I really can recommend paying Vienna a visit. Been there twice already since I live about 2h by train from it. Prague and Bratislava are 'close by' and also worth a visit.

If you happen to come along Brno (czech republic) on your way to southern Europe be invited for beer and a place to sleep.

Honestly, consider couch surfing if you are the guy for it.
Wat ne Wuchtbrumme!
A Docile Sloth
Executive
Executive

Post by A Docile Sloth »

haruky wrote:Hah. Cuddle party at Sloth's. :thumbup:
I...
I'm okay with this

Public transport in London is a bit weird. Buses don't accept money and they are closing most of the ticket offices on the tube. If you don't have a contact less credit/debit card you need to get an Oyster Card to use buses. They cost £5 which is refunded when you return it (although I don't know where you return them any more) or you can keep it forever. Most of the touristy stuff in London is in "Zone 1". Depending how much you travel, you will pay up to £8 per day for transport in London. Buses are cheaper than the tube.

For the tube you can buy paper tickets but an Oyster card/contact less credit/debit card is cheaper.

Away from London, they still take real money on buses.
MONGO_abaday
Supporting Member
Supporting Member

Post by MONGO_abaday »

If you are ever in the Bristol area of the UK you're always welcome to make use of my spare bedroom for a night or too. Just let me know :)
ImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImage
haruky
Supporting Member
Supporting Member

Post by haruky »

@funh1t: I would love to visit Russia sometime though I'm not sure if it is possible due to the distance of where it is. Where in Russia are you?

@Viper: Thanks for the advice! I didn't realize they have tickets based on distance? I thought it was only by how many countries. I'll definitely check this option out.

@Stonie: Yes! I'd like to link up with you if I make it down to Netherlands! Though, to be honest, I'm not much of a smoker, cig nor other green things. :mrgreen: Would love to share a nice cold beer though!

@Zombie: Ooh. I'll definitely make a stop into Frankfurt. I've always wanted to visit this city along with Berlin and Munich. In regards to Italy, what are some areas you recommend visiting?

@Jokerle: Yeaup.. I figured that the financial crisis might make it difficult, but how do you think it'll impact a visit there? The city of Brno looks beautiful too. I'd really like to make it down there during the trip as well. Could be one of my final stops in my Europe trip seeing as how it's relatively far down east to where I'm staying around.
Also, I am definitely considering couch surfing. It's a good way to save money and it'd be a really cool way to meet some new people as well. Sounds like I may be in for some GC couch surfing as well. :mrgreen:

@Sloth: hohoho. That's gonna be the most exciting part of the trip. That's interesting though. Are these buses pretty well connected? Would I be able to get to different cities in the UK with relative ease by using the busses? Or would it be better to use the trains?

@Mongo: Thank you!! It'd be a lot of fun to visit several difference cities in the UK. Is it pretty easy to get to Bristol via public transportation?

Thank you everyone for writing! It's a really big help listening to all of your advice and help.

Going off of your knowledge of public transportation in Europe, is there a specific route you'd recommend on what countries to visit? As of now, I may start from Korea or Japan and fly into somewhere in Central Europe. At this point is where I get a bit lost. Do you have any recommendations on the route I should take to visit the different countries?

Also, food... I'd love food recommendations of your country. I try almost anything at least once! :mrgreen:
Image[/url]
Jokerle
Supporting Member
Supporting Member

Post by Jokerle »

In regards to Italy, what are some areas you recommend visiting?
some quick thoughts:

visit Venice, it might not be around forever :lol:
Verona if you're into Romeo and Juliet...
Rome
visit the Mediterranean sea somewhere
If you want to meet more Germans go to Lago di Garda (Gardasee) :roll: :P
Buy local, freshly made ice cream
Wat ne Wuchtbrumme!