Oculus Rift announced to cost $599

Off-topic discussion, where anyone can talk about almost anything.

Moderator: Executive

CekiHappy
Supporting Member
Supporting Member

Oculus Rift announced to cost $599

Post by CekiHappy »

(thats not including shipping)
Who the hell can afford this thing?
Please keep all memeing to a minimum
Kilo
Supporting Member
Supporting Member

Re: Oculus Rift announced to cost $599

Post by Kilo »

I'm not surprised tbh, new consumer tech is always expensive.
Battlefield Tournament History
BF3C4: STAR Infantry Private 2Image
BF3C5: LOD Infantry Private
BF3C6: UNSC Infantry Private First Class
BF4C1: USSR Infantry Conscript
BF4C2: GoCI Infantry Private First Class
BF4C3: LN7 Infantry Private
BF4C4: JANUS Armor Private
BF4C5: KTSS SAS Captain
BF4C6: SAD Infantry CorporalImage
BF4C7: GC Infantry Captain
haruky
Supporting Member
Supporting Member

Post by haruky »

I'll wait till Gen 2..
Image[/url]
CrookedBarrel

Post by CrookedBarrel »

Yeah...no.

I was waiting for this, as the company was supposedly targeting a pricepoint of $350-$400, but it's $599 excluding shipping or motion controls(You're forced to pay for the included Xbox-One controller).

And, in Europe, $599 somehow equals €700, which is about $760. Also without shipping. You can argue taxes, but it's still ridiculous.

Let's see what the HTC Vive(Valve's entry to VR, sort of) turns out to cost. It's supposed to have room-size sensors with positional tracking for both hands as well. And they just added a camera to the front which could help with obstacle avoidance IRL.

Though it should be said, if you're not running SLI 970s or better, HD VR is probably out of reach anyway. Low/unstable framerates are not an option when the outcome is nausea.
"Of course he looks like the suspect, that don't make him guilty! You look like an idiot, that doesn't mean you are one." -Ken Rosenberg
BF4 C3 TCF Sgt
BF4 C4 SAD Cpt
BF4 C5 EVIL WO
BF4 C6 TCF Col
A Docile Sloth
Executive
Executive

Post by A Docile Sloth »

If you read the post in the reddit AMA, the guy apparently said "ballpark of $350" because $600 was closer to $350 than $1500 which was the cost being spread around at the time. I agree, I was expecting maybe $450 to $500 with sensible currency conversion. €700, I'm a wait for the Vive price.

Though part of me has to admit "order of magnitude is the same so we are correct" is an incredibly compelling argument but then I spend all day looking at galaxies so that's often the best I can hope for.
ViperXVII
Supporting Member
Supporting Member

Post by ViperXVII »

A Docile Sloth wrote:If you read the post in the reddit AMA, the guy apparently said "ballpark of $350" because $600 was closer to $350 than $1500 which was the cost being spread around at the time. I agree, I was expecting maybe $450 to $500 with sensible currency conversion. €700, I'm a wait for the Vive price.

Though part of me has to admit "order of magnitude is the same so we are correct" is an incredibly compelling argument but then I spend all day looking at galaxies so that's often the best I can hope for.
You sound like a politician