So, what have you been up to?

Off-topic discussion, where anyone can talk about almost anything.

Moderator: Executive

haruky
Supporting Member
Supporting Member

So, what have you been up to?

Post by haruky »

I'm sad whenever I log-in to the forum and see "No New Posts" :(
So, I want to ask.. What have you been up to lately?
Image[/url]
Calloutman
Executive
Executive

Re: So, what have you been up to?

Post by Calloutman »

Hi haruky :wave:

Well... super busy these days. Writing thesis. Working on some random electronics projects. Looking for a job. No fun allowed :|

I have started playing a bit of Overwatch tho, that's actually turned out to be a really addicting game.
BF3 || C2 Lead Operative || C3 Brigadier General || C4 Major General || C5 Private First Class || C6 General
BF4 || C1 TA || C2 TA || C3 TA || C4 Serviceman || C5 Duke
A Docile Sloth
Executive
Executive

Post by A Docile Sloth »

Hello!

Since the last campaign I moved country, started a PhD and submitted a paper to a journal. Currently working on a second.

Not really playing a huge amount as not much is keeping my interest atm (except Table Sim). Want to pick up Dishonoured 2 and Watch Dogs 2 at some point as I enjoyed both the origionals.

Callout, being nosey, are you looking to do a post doc or going into industry?
haruky
Supporting Member
Supporting Member

Post by haruky »

Boy, both of you guys have been really busy and productive!!

I've just got back from a 3 month trip in Japan and Korea. Now I'm trying to figure out what to do with my life since I want to go away from my current job (marketing). :(

I've been thinking about going to grad school for Urban Planning but it's a bit scary to be quite honest..

@docilesloth: Table sim is way too funny.
Image[/url]
Fields
Supporting Member
Supporting Member

Post by Fields »

haruky wrote:Boy, both of you guys have been really busy and productive!!

I've just got back from a 3 month trip in Japan and Korea. Now I'm trying to figure out what to do with my life since I want to go away from my current job (marketing). :(

I've been thinking about going to grad school for Urban Planning but it's a bit scary to be quite honest..

@docilesloth: Table sim is way too funny.
You live in Washington, I grow plants; let's start a cannabis farm. :thumbup: :thumbup: Especially if you're good at marketing and business management.

Been working, fixing up my house, playing copious CSgo with a group of friends. Anyone is welcome to join whenever you see me playing. Also, anyone interested in a US GC meetup, 2017? I'm thinking CO, OR, WA, CA, NV, ME, or MA? :mrgreen: :mrgreen:

Also, are there any prospects for a new campaign anytime soon? I know we don't have any great prospects for a new game but if there's something that's flexible enough for us to use I'd be happy to jump in, regardless of the game's setting or mechanics. I want to get back into the cycle.
Róka

Post by Róka »

School, school, and more school - and a lot of systems and labs.
Playing BF1 and Overwatch - that's about it. I'll play league whenever friends ask to.
Super down for a campaign.
Also been stalking the home page every day, sobbing uncontrollably every time I see no new posts.
Currently, I am celebrating finals being over and I am crossfaded :thumbup:
Down for a US meetup, although I'm not too sure when I'd be able to fit it in.
Will also be in Hungary next summer if that adds any ideas to a EU meetup.
ImageImage
Calloutman
Executive
Executive

Post by Calloutman »

Fields wrote:Also, are there any prospects for a new campaign anytime soon? I know we don't have any great prospects for a new game but if there's something that's flexible enough for us to use I'd be happy to jump in, regardless of the game's setting or mechanics. I want to get back into the cycle.
BF1 isn't workable atm as I'm sure you know. There was a thought from Gwynzer to give Squad a try, but that hasn't gotten anywhere yet.
haruky wrote:I've been thinking about going to grad school for Urban Planning but it's a bit scary to be quite honest..
Yeah, that's always a big decision. A big time and money commitment. Just grow weed with Fields haha.
A Docile Sloth wrote:Callout, being nosey, are you looking to do a post doc or going into industry?
Currently looking at some industry roles. I don't like the career prospects of academia tbh. There is a lot of competition for a small pot of money, and everyone seems to take advantage of you. That said, it has been fun.
What's the PhD on?
BF3 || C2 Lead Operative || C3 Brigadier General || C4 Major General || C5 Private First Class || C6 General
BF4 || C1 TA || C2 TA || C3 TA || C4 Serviceman || C5 Duke
matsif
Executive
Executive

Post by matsif »

Fields wrote:Also, are there any prospects for a new campaign anytime soon? I know we don't have any great prospects for a new game but if there's something that's flexible enough for us to use I'd be happy to jump in, regardless of the game's setting or mechanics. I want to get back into the cycle.
at the moment no, because there is no game that is in a state that would actually make it usable for us. the only other title that's even really close is Squad, and that has its own set of issues that stem from it still being an early access game. in its current state, I personally could never recommend for a campaign. basically EA fraked us with BF1 and there isn't anything out at the moment that is an appreciable replacement. and unless EA gets their head out of their ass for their server situation, there isn't going to be an appreciable replacement. there's nothing out currently or coming soon other than BF4 that doesn't have some major issues for how we play vs how the game works, number of players to refresh our numbers with, etc and so forth. and BF1's concurrent player numbers have been nose-diving pretty badly, so it's already on its way to dying off, because the game has no community due to the server issue.
haruky wrote:I'm sad whenever I log-in to the forum and see "No New Posts" :(
So, I want to ask.. What have you been up to lately?
short of playing a bit of overwatch/a few other games here and there and watching what real life I did have be completely taken over by murphy's law over the past month, nothing. hell my internet hasn't even worked consistently for a week and a half because the tech who came to work on the line last week was completely clueless and screwed something up last time he was here.
woke up this morning, put on my slippers, walked in the kitchen and died
Jokerle
Supporting Member
Supporting Member

Post by Jokerle »

matsif wrote: and unless EA gets their head out of their ass for their server situation
Is there no way GC+level+symthic+21CW can write an open letter or so? Is there any proper server complaint visible at all (besides obscure BF1 forum rants). I havent followed the development.
Wat ne Wuchtbrumme!
matsif
Executive
Executive

Post by matsif »

Jokerle wrote:
matsif wrote: and unless EA gets their head out of their ass for their server situation
Is there no way GC+level+symthic+21CW can write an open letter or so? Is there any proper server complaint visible at all (besides obscure BF1 forum rants). I havent followed the development.
any and all complaints to the system, so far as I'm aware, have been made known and were made known a long time ago. I had PMs with the community manager in the past (about a week after the beta) voicing our community concerns. EA locked down their forum, so only people who bought the game can actually post there, and since I haven't bought this clusterfuck, I can no longer voice concerns for us as I did in the beta times. this happened about a month ago when the server rental bs was released.

not that any voicing of concerns matters, because there has been very little communication at all surrounding this whole service. there's maybe a dev/CM response once every 2 weeks, and that response has not once had any dates or timelines in it. the main dev guy does more work on twitter than the main forum, which seems to be a place of dead discussion due to mods that overstep their bounds and effectively censor the board. I've seen good threads that had nothing offensive or angry in them disappear because they asked something that directly questioned EA's horrible decisions, things like that. then with the no timeline thing, the community manager has been saying for quite literally over a month at this point that he would have answers to the hundreds of questions people had "soon." then the dev guy chimed in, more "soon." and now BF1 releases a major patch today, and nothing is changed for the custom servers. effectively, we are being told with the non-communication and lack of effort put into this that servers aren't an issue to EA, they don't care about the reason the BF series has lasted so long despite major issues with every release, and had quite obviously just ported BF1 from battlefront and rushed the title.

and even if we did an "open letter" sort of thing, we'd be better off getting in touch with ESL or someone trying to do esports with BF1 than the other major communities, because we basically need esports tools on the server end to run our campaign. we're a very small minority in their eyes, and our needs are basically meaningless compared to the tons of people pissed about there not being a kick/ban in yet or their servers being sucked out of matchmaking. even if we banded together with the other communities and ESL and any other esports league, we'd still be an overwhelming minority.

remember, EA did this because of people complaining about being kicked/banned from servers for breaking server rules that they refused to follow. now we're SOL because of idiots who can't read and then cried because they couldn't read, or refused to believe that there weren't thousands of other choices of servers out there. they do not give a flying frak about what people who actually ran servers in the past need, and especially less of a frak for a small subset of people who need more tools than someone who just wants their clan name on a server in quick play.
woke up this morning, put on my slippers, walked in the kitchen and died
Jokerle
Supporting Member
Supporting Member

Post by Jokerle »

8O :? :cry:
Wat ne Wuchtbrumme!
haruky
Supporting Member
Supporting Member

Post by haruky »

@Fields: Hah! I think pot farming is actaully quite regulated and you need to go thru some series of bureaucracy to be able to do it. Although........... perhaps it's worth it. It's gonna become absolutely massive in the near future. COME TO WA!

@Roka & all other US folks: Let's do a US meet up. That'd be amazing. I personally just got back from a big trip so it's hard for me to go anywhere expensive unfortunately.. The $$$ I spent already put a big dent in my poor wallet. Not to mention I don't have a job at the moment... :( Time and energy, but no $. Tis life.

But seriously. The EU guys have met up TWICE now. We should get it together, guys..
Image[/url]
Gwynzer
Executive
Executive

Post by Gwynzer »

haruky wrote:But seriously. The EU guys have met up TWICE now. We should get it together, guys..

We've met up way more than twice.
haruky
Supporting Member
Supporting Member

Post by haruky »

Gwynzer wrote:
haruky wrote:But seriously. The EU guys have met up TWICE now. We should get it together, guys..

We've met up way more than twice.
okay fine. brag more why don't you. (y) (y) (y)
Image[/url]
A Docile Sloth
Executive
Executive

Post by A Docile Sloth »

Calloutman wrote:Currently looking at some industry roles. I don't like the career prospects of academia tbh. There is a lot of competition for a small pot of money, and everyone seems to take advantage of you. That said, it has been fun.
What's the PhD on?
Yeah, that's probably a fair assessment. Doing my PhD in astrophysics/astronomy looking at star formation in other galaxies. It's pretty fun.
haruky wrote: okay fine. brag more why don't you. (y) (y) (y)
At least 5 times in 2 countries. Get it together NA peeps.