EA & DICE suck dick (changed from 'abandoned us')

Off-topic discussion, where anyone can talk about almost anything.

Moderator: Executive

Kismet
Supporting Member
Supporting Member

EA & DICE suck dick (changed from 'abandoned us')

Post by Kismet »

It seems impossible to avoid the conclusion that EA and DICE do not care about organized gamers like GC.

Have I missed something? It seems like EA/DICE are simply expanding their existing server farms with very limited changes to outsiders. Sort of a 'you rent us to host your server' kind of nonsense. As of writing, there doesn't seem to be a way to kick players, or set a password. So if GC rented a server, we'd be largely out of control. Stupid. frak EA/DICE for this nonsense. Also, I have experienced terrible pings and an everpresent "client packet loss" icon. How are they really this stupid to ruin their own game with their own terrible servers?

Sorry guys. I really wish this were a game we could play in the GC style... But it looks like GC needs to go elsewhere, like maybe Squad. Or even back to BF4 or BF3.
Fields
Supporting Member
Supporting Member

Re: EA & DICE suck dick (changed from 'abandoned us')

Post by Fields »

Can't even disable autobalance or ban players or switch maps from what I've read. What's even the point of renting a server besides paying EA to add another server to the list? It all seems like kind of a joke. They even pushed for 60hz servers by default, then robbed people of all the customization and server admin options.
Róka

Post by Róka »

There's been word of an eSports client/game-version in the works for a 2017 release. Apparently they've been contemplating splitting Battlefield up like that. Something about wanting to keep the base game approachable for everyone and not splitting up the player base. Really strange logic seeing that forcing people that want to play with any amount of organization to use a separate game somehow isn't splitting in-and-of-itself? Also, no other games have a problem dealing with this, but it was mentioned that balancing Battlefield games for both casual and competitive play is way too hard as they really do entail different things at this point -- so they want to just keep the base game casual and release an eSports Battlefield that they can actively tweak depending on competitive players' opinions.
Something else mentioned that was more-so a rumor was that such a version might not be WW1-related, but more modern -- with the possibility that they would include multiple eras. :roll: This last part sounded way too good to be true but I guess we can dream
ImageImage
RazY70
Supporting Member
Supporting Member

Post by RazY70 »

As long as hordes people keep buying those games, supporting EA/DICE's shady business practices, why do you expect anything to be any different? Sure you can complain afterwards till you're blue in the face, but what good would that do other than letting out some steam?
Gwynzer
Executive
Executive

Post by Gwynzer »

At the moment the only promising thing on the horizon is squad, but I don't think it's suitable quite yet. Maybe in a few more patches.
Kismet
Supporting Member
Supporting Member

Post by Kismet »

It's just depressing. You'd expect new game companies to fill in the niches that EA/DICE have abandoned, but so far we haven't seen that. In fact, I doubt we will see that unless we specifically help seed or develop such niche games.

If I were in a position to fund and found a games company, I wouldn't want to compete with EA/DICE and Sony/Infinity Ward/whatever.

Unless I were a diehard gamer with plenty of experience with these kinds of communities.
Kismet
Supporting Member
Supporting Member

Post by Kismet »

Oh, BTW, have we talked to fellow communities, like 21CW, Level, etc? Anyone who had ever played BF in our style should be contacted by GC people, information shared, political power focused.

Have we done this? Do we have anyone with anything close to a reliable line of communication to EA/DICE, or DICE/LA?

We should, if we haven't.
A Docile Sloth
Executive
Executive

Post by A Docile Sloth »

To what end? I understand your thinking but it won't do anything. The guy in charge of the RSP (Ali "Striterax" Hasoon) is constantly spouting "soon" for when more information (information, not changes) is coming out but refuses to give timelines or information because "he can't".

He promised more information on the RSP last week and then hid behind Finance and Legal when he didn't deliver.

Assuming he wants to help the competitive community (which at the moment I feel is a big stretch), his hands are apparently tied and he's unable to make any changes unless the change breaks something. e.g. he broke quick matchmaking to RSP servers because he didn't like that custom servers were included so removed all RSP servers. He then basically refused to fix it and by all accounts it still doesn't work properly. If it doesn't fit with his vision of how battlefield should be played, he's highly against new ideas.

Plus the competitive community isn't big enough to have any sway. It's probably, what, 300-400 people out of several thousand. The only way to make them notice is to not give them money, which I imagine all comp communities aren't as the admin tools aren't there. Look where that's got us so far.

Once Striterax gets his head out of his self entitles ass and stops hiding behind corporate BS, I'll have a hope of anything useful for us happening within a reasonable time scale. Until then...

And it appears the community manager has given up getting answers to the questions that have been on the forum for months that he promised.

See also, matsif's post
matsif
Executive
Executive

Post by matsif »

BF1 24hr peak player numbers are at 50k as of this writing. last week at this time they were at 60k. the game's been hemorrhaging players and is following in the way of battlefront.

the dev lead for the server system, as sloth stated, does not share a vision with us or any competitive group. his entire purpose is to cater to the people who complained about procon plugins autokicking them in BF3/BF4 because they refused to read server rules and to attempt to keep a hype train rolling, which is dying off (see: player numbers dropping fast and people getting tired of hearing "soon"). rules which were generally broadcasted on servers via procon plugin. the people who complained - LevelCap and his ilk being the major voices since EA bribed them to support their products in the past - got EA's ear tweaked. and now the people who had no reason to complain because they weren't incompetent retards are punished to support the wants of the lowest common denominator. in one of his posts on the BF forum he even states that the current iteration of server controls has things in it that previously didn't exist, which really isn't true considering how many procon plugins from BF3 carried into BF4 without any issue. he also states that "I was not talking about the Battlefield Player Experience such as defining what Battlefield is, I would never attempt to alter that. That is owned by you, the community," which is inherently a false statement given the entirety of the "battlefield player experience" has been negatively affected by the lack of real server control. he's either incompetent and clueless or legitimately has his hands tied by upper management, or more likely both given EA's track record.

on top of all of that, it was very obvious during the beta that the game was a battlefront port that made some minor numerical changes and added some bullet drop. it was a rushed title that EA forced out to meet their shareholder's quota for the year because they had no faith in titanfall 2 (which got killed because it released between BF1 and whatever the newest COD iteration is). BF1 is lacking in function and content, just like every BF game post 2142 has, and probably won't actually feel complete for another year (see: BF4).

as to banding other groups together, there is no purpose as I addressed in the post sloth linked. these concerns were raised months ago and have since been ignored. I voiced our concerns and saw multiple ESL folks on the forum that asked for very similar functionality to what we would need for our purposes, and none of those questions were answered or have even been acknowledged to exist.

want EA to notice your opinion? refund your game, tell them why, and get everyone else you know to do the same. even then, I doubt they'd care, because the myriads of xbone and PS4 players who play the game for 30 minutes a week make them more money. and those players don't want or care about what our community and other like-minded communities need to function, so our needs will not be addressed until those players are gone to the next big thing and we're all that's left. by which point we'll be staring down the barrel of another half-finished port of BF1.
woke up this morning, put on my slippers, walked in the kitchen and died
Kismet
Supporting Member
Supporting Member

Post by Kismet »

Thanks Sloth and matsif, good info there for sure.

I would say one thing for sure, though - refunding your game is pointless. They don't need our money, and they have shown a complete indifference to it for years. What they WOULD react to is horrible PR. For instance, I bet they're feeling pretty superior about BF1 vs COD:IW. What if it wasn't so rosy in a few weeks?

If we could somehow help to raise enough of a stink on YouTube and Twitch and whatever influential social or press media is the 'hottest', that could definitely do something. I mean, it would never happen, but imagine PewDiePie bitching about BF1 on his channel. That would be huge. Just as an example.

I know of 3 big YouTube BF stars - LevelCapGaming, MatimiO, and jackfrags. I could see 1 or 2 of them speaking up about this nonsense. Are there more? It shouldn't be hard to make fun of BF1's lack of eSports options when compared to, say, Rocket League, where there is a clear distinction between casual and competitive play. Or even better, Overwatch. WTF, EA/DICE?

I think there are ways. We should quickly find them and press them as hard as we can.
StarfisherEcho
Executive
Executive

Post by StarfisherEcho »

I think EA bought them out. Conspiracy time: EA paid LevelCap to produce this fud before RSP came out to pretend like they had something other than a rotting dildo to sell: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=brrUt1W6j1E

I mean, he warned everyone that they were about to crap on the franchise, but he also tried to suggest that these were good changes constantly. He was one of the fucktards who thought stopping badmins were worth destroying the entire community.

Jackfrags twitter looks like an EA whore and he even bitched that RSP servers shouldn't be in quickmatch, resulting in EA turning off QM traffic to rented servers. Which killed 99% of rented servers.

Haven't heard much from Matimio
ImageImageImage
matsif
Executive
Executive

Post by matsif »

Kismet wrote: I know of 3 big YouTube BF stars - LevelCapGaming, MatimiO, and jackfrags. I could see 1 or 2 of them speaking up about this nonsense. Are there more? It shouldn't be hard to make fun of BF1's lack of eSports options when compared to, say, Rocket League, where there is a clear distinction between casual and competitive play. Or even better, Overwatch. WTF, EA/DICE?
I don't know much about matimio, but LevelCap and jackfrags are both EA shills and have been for years. they aren't going to bite the hand that feeds them. as star posted above, LevelCap wanted this and made it very clear early on in the lack of information post-beta that destroying community gaming so he could pub stomp easier was a good thing. these people are on EA's side publically, even if they aren't privately, because if they speak bad about EA they lose their sweet deals to fly to LA and play an alpha build with snoop dog.
woke up this morning, put on my slippers, walked in the kitchen and died
StarfisherEcho
Executive
Executive

Post by StarfisherEcho »

All this said, I have thought about trying to write some kind of tear-jerking letter about the damage this has done to long standing competitive communities. Every time I sit down to write, I go and look at the RSP forums, and realize that the barrage of rage there is something I can't match.

If we could get all the old 32v32 communities to sign something and post it in on reddit, we might get front page of r/battlefield for a while. We might even get a DICE or EA employee to come in and tell us how it will all be better "soon".
ImageImageImage
mrBLUE9
Executive
Executive

Post by mrBLUE9 »

Problem is, as someone has said it already, we are just a tiny, tiny fraction of the BF playerbase. As much as it's sad to say, we are irrelevant to DICE. The majority of the playerbase are casual players, probably on console. Die hard gamers are, unfortunately, losing their space on triple AAA titles.

The only way I see DICE focusing more on eSports and in the die hard community is if we had a larger percentage of the playerbase wanting that, I don't think that's the case. I'm hoping that, for some miracle, they add the tools we need on the server side, and maybe then we can convert some people to the best way of playing Battlefield.
Kismet
Supporting Member
Supporting Member

Post by Kismet »

Róka wrote:There's been word of an eSports client/game-version in the works for a 2017 release. Apparently they've been contemplating splitting Battlefield up like that. Something about wanting to keep the base game approachable for everyone and not splitting up the player base. Really strange logic seeing that forcing people that want to play with any amount of organization to use a separate game somehow isn't splitting in-and-of-itself? Also, no other games have a problem dealing with this, but it was mentioned that balancing Battlefield games for both casual and competitive play is way too hard as they really do entail different things at this point -- so they want to just keep the base game casual and release an eSports Battlefield that they can actively tweak depending on competitive players' opinions.
Something else mentioned that was more-so a rumor was that such a version might not be WW1-related, but more modern -- with the possibility that they would include multiple eras. :roll: This last part sounded way too good to be true but I guess we can dream
This makes me wonder... According to this, they do seem to care about being part of the competitive gaming space, and yet have not signalled anything to do with BF1. Is this a case of the game dev group wanting this and the corporate/marketing group not being onboard? Or dev and marketing onboard and corporate not giving a crap?