Gaming Laptop Recommendations

For when things break.

Moderator: Executive

Yob

Gaming Laptop Recommendations

Post by Yob »

Heya everyone!

I'm ready to replace my old ASUS ROG G75V lappytop because 1. The graphics card quit and B. It's 5 years old.
Before you tell me I should build a desktop, I know I should but I live for 6 months in two different states and travel occasionally for work making a desktop impractical. I'd like to enlist your help in choosing because I've spent a few days researching and can't make a decision k:%). Top candidates I've come up with are an Alienware 17, MSI GT73VR and ASUS G701VI. What do you think? Know of something better?

Specs I'd like:
Processor: Intel I7 7820
Graphics: Nvidia GTX 1080
RAM: 16 meg
Storage: 2x512 M.2 SSD + 1 TB HDD
Screen Resolution: Quad HD or 4k Ultra HD
Budget: <$3000 but could do $3500 if I begged. "It's only $500 a year, honey."

So....whatcha think? Suggestions, recommendations, links? Thanks. Annnnd.....GO!
If you don't ask, the answer is, "No."
My Campaign ribbons are around here somewhere!
Wi1D_K4rD
Supporting Member
Supporting Member

Re: Gaming Laptop Recommendations

Post by Wi1D_K4rD »

I'm probably not much help as I don't know much about Laptops but I will say I would avoid Alienware. Unless they've gotten better in the years since I've last looked at them. When they got bought by Dell their Alienware line has been overpriced with inferior quality parts but still paying top dollar because of the Alienware brand.

Most of my PC stuff is ASUS and have had nothing but good things with them, if that helps any. I'm sure someone else here has better advice than me. Just wanted to give the warning about Alienware. Like I said though they might have gotten better as it's been years since I've even remotely looked at Alienware.
matsif
Executive
Executive

Post by matsif »

seconding the avoid alienware club.

back when I started college I had an MSI gaming laptop that, outside of being really outdated, never quit on me and worked really well. when my brother started college I suggested he get a higher powered Asus laptop, and that lasted him quite a while until the power adapter for charging the battery in the laptop broke.

regardless, I'd say you'll want a cooling pad or something similar of some sort if you don't have one already. laptops don't cool themselves well and gaming generally stresses the system enough that without some extra airflow you have a lot higher probability of nuking a part.
woke up this morning, put on my slippers, walked in the kitchen and died
Fields
Supporting Member
Supporting Member

Post by Fields »

Yob

Post by Yob »

matsif wrote:seconding the avoid alienware club.

regardless, I'd say you'll want a cooling pad or something similar of some sort if you don't have one already. laptops don't cool themselves well and gaming generally stresses the system enough that without some extra airflow you have a lot higher probability of nuking a part.
That's why my graphics card quit. Cooling vents got blocked up, machine over heated and dzzzt. Other than the battery never holding a charge, my current ASUS has been a champ.
Yob

Post by Yob »

CekiHappy
Supporting Member
Supporting Member

Post by CekiHappy »

I always check the reddits for laptop suggestions since these things get updated like monthly.
https://www.reddit.com/r/SuggestALaptop/
https://www.reddit.com/r/LaptopDeals/

I personally use their nifty recommendation guide when I bought a laptop for my little brother: https://www.reddit.com/r/laptops/wiki/index
Yob

Post by Yob »

Holy Schmidt! Can't believe It's been a year since my graphics card STB and I didn't replace my machine yet. Mostly because adulting has been getting in the way but mostly because I am horrible at shopping. A year with no gaming?! Ermagerd! Her derd er serverv?