Help re: dumb thing

For when things break.

Moderator: Executive

BRUMMIE
Senator
Senator

Help re: dumb thing

Post by BRUMMIE »

Ok the other night I was looking for some info and I ended up on a German forum. Well the German language doesn't come easy to me because I don't speak it and I'm not German. So I thought "I'll be clever", which isn't always a smart move. I had heard of translator programs, so I searched for some. I found some and then before I installed any I had yet another beer - again not always a smart move when working on a computer. I then, obviously installed one but my memory is fuzzy or should I say flaumig (or faserig or fusselig or kraus or struppig or werschwommen or benommen). Here comes the problem; every time I point at something I get an instant translation in a box off to the side. Now its not that I have anything against the German language but I want to get rid of this. I have no idea where it comes from or what it is. The box starts with what looks like a magnifying glass with the letter A in the middle, followed by the word and then 2 or 3 or 4 German alternatives.

Any Ideas? of should I say; ein idee? or welch idee? -those are just 2 of the 11 alternatives I was offered for the word 'any' and as much as that information is educational I would choose to get rid of it if I only knew what it was.
Ash2Dust
Executive
Executive

Post by Ash2Dust »

Sounds like you got a browser add-on. Look for extra buttons, they may give you a clue to the name of the program.

Check ur add/remove. Theres no simple answer for removing BHOs and plugins in Internet Explorer.
gribble

Post by gribble »

ask Yob to teach you some german :-)

can you make a screenshot of the box? Like Ash2Dust says i also think it's a browser addon..
nothing in the software-deinstallation department ?
sushi
Executive
Executive

Post by sushi »

How about you let us know which browser you are using to start with. :wink: If it is firefox, it shouldn't be to difficult to remove it, if not why?

And actually Wir Germanz found thiz new tool to conquer the world so you will not be able to remove it anyway, W00T.
gribble

Post by gribble »

sushi25 wrote: And actually Wir Germanz found thiz new tool to conquer the world so you will not be able to remove it anyway, W00T.
I AM NO TOOL !
CreeK

Post by CreeK »

If it is not a browser plugin check your tasks. If you are not sure about the tasks just paste your tasklist (Windows console: TASKLIST /SVC).
Charger

Post by Charger »

Ash2Dust wrote:
Check ur add/remove. Theres no simple answer for removing BHOs and plugins in Internet Explorer.
"hijack this" removes them easily.
Ash2Dust
Executive
Executive

Post by Ash2Dust »

It does as long its not spyware or other tenacious malware. But it can also remove stuff that you want to stay. Sorting thru a hijackthis log can be very time consuming.