Vista

For when things break.

Moderator: Executive

Tsumetai_Ryujin

Post by Tsumetai_Ryujin »

Woo hoo!!!!! I figured out what's the problem. I, dumb ass, totally forgot that I had other problems while installing other OS (this one legal, but it doesn't matter anyway) while I had BOTH HDDs connected. So, I just simply disconnected 250GB HDD and installed vista... ... dumb ass -.-'

TY all for help!
gomimin

Post by gomimin »

You should look into your Mainboards manual ;-)
.Sup
Executive
Executive

Post by .Sup »

Lol Tsumy you silly :P
Tsumetai_Ryujin

I have read manual few times (not because this problem) but I didn't find any mentioning about this problem... :\
gomimin

Post by gomimin »

Manual should tell you about PATA/SATA channels and HHD/channel boot priority :P

WindowsSetup looks for those, so if the 250G HDD is on a lower channel than the 80G HDD it goes to setup there first...and if you tell Setup to install on the 80G it will still install the boot record on 250G...
Tsumetai_Ryujin

Would it be a problem for you to explain to me how to install XP as second boot. I would rather install XP as second boot cause I would be playing only few games I can't play on Vista normally...
LandRover

Post by LandRover »

Tsumetai_Ryujin wrote:Would it be a problem for you to explain to me how to install XP as second boot. I would rather install XP as second boot cause I would be playing only few games I can't play on Vista normally...
HERE ARE THE STEPS THAT I HAVE USED TO INSTALL AN ADDITIONAL OPERATING SYSTEM (XP) AFTER INSTALLING VISTA

BE AWARE THAT AFTER INSTALLING XP, VISTA WILL NO LONGER BOOT AND MUST BE REPAIRED AS PER INSTRUCTIONS BELOW

EDITED FOR VISTA SP1

It is possible to install XP as a second OS, straight from a booted XP-CD-ROM, but I found that inexperienced users (at least, my students) get lost on the Boot-CD and have a tendency to fumble the installation. So, instead, I suggest the following extra steps method, which is full proof:

1. Set First Boot Device to CDROM and Second BOOT to Hard Disk in BIOS
2. DO NOT INSERT XP-CDROM at this time. Boot normally to Vista
3. In Windows Vista (provided you still have unallocated space on your HDD – If not, make some), create a Primary Partition of the size you want to run Windows’XP and Quick Format.
4. Insert Windows’XP CD in CD-Rom drive and RESTART

5. Computer will Reboot – Press a key on black screen when prompted to Boot from CD-ROM – (Do not Miss it, otherwise it will send you back to Vista)
6. At Welcome to Setup: press ENTER=Continue
7. Press F8 - I agree
8. Select the previously prepared Primary Partition for XP and Press ENTER to Install
9. Leave the current File System Intact (No Changes) Press ENTER
10. Continue with Normal Installation

When finished, the computer will reboot in XP and you will have lost the ability to start Vista.

The best combination for a successful dual boot of Vista & XP is with XP first followed by Vista; easy to do and always works.

However, in your case Vista was already installed, and Dual-Booting your system with Visa First isn’t the easiest thing to achieve since Vista isn’t necessarily friendly in that regard. The Vista bootloader will be overwritten during the XP installation and must be repaired.

Here’s what you have to do after Installing XP as a second OS to Fix the Vista Bootloader:

Boot from the Vista DVD, and on the screen where you’re prompted to “Install now”, select “Repair your computer”.

The next screen searches for local Vista installations – there should only be one, so click Next.

This loads the System Recovery Options screen. Select the first option – Startup Repair. This looks for problems which would prevent Vista from loading (like a missing bootloader) and automatically fixes them. It just takes a few seconds to make the repairs.

Click Close and then on Finish, and the system will restart and boot into Vista. Unfortunately, you now lost the ability to boot XP!!!
This is a cat and mouse game, but do not despair, utilities come to the rescue.

FINALLY, SETTING UP THE DUAL BOOT

Download and install EasyBCD : http://neosmart.net/dl.php?id=1

1. Launch the app and go to Add/Remove Entries.
2. Under “Add an Entry” and under the Windows tab and select in the Version drop-down list “Windows NT/2k/XP/2k3”.
3. Change the Drive to (drive letter of your XP-Partition) D:\ and the name to “Windows XP”, then click “Add Entry” and “Save”.

Et Voila! You can now boot from either Vista or XP

I prefer using the Free VistaBootPro Utility to change the Descriptions, Timer and First Boot (Default)

MAKE SURE YOU BACKUP YOUR MOST IMPORTANT DATA, AS USUAL, BEFORE UNDERTAKING ANY CHANGES TO YOUR OPERATING SYSTEM.

Good Luck, LR
Last edited by LandRover on Sun Oct 05, 2008 3:42 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Tsumetai_Ryujin

Ty for such detailed guide for installing XP as second boot. As soon as I find some time I'll install it.
LandRover wrote:(at least, my students)
Didn't know you are a professor.
LandRover

Post by LandRover »

Tsumetai_Ryujin wrote:Ty for such detailed guide for installing XP as second boot. As soon as I find some time I'll install it.
LandRover wrote:(at least, my students)
Didn't know you are a professor.
Hey Tsu!

I was just experimenting with my new Computer's Vista SP1 having installed 3 Vista Primary OS as multiple boots. I've re-formatted one of them to install XP as I've illustrated above, since I have similar problems as you have running BF2 in Vista.

I have slightly modified the above instructions, which should work for both Vista and SP1 after a successful installation this afternoon.

LR
gomimin

Post by gomimin »

Very good explanation LR! Easy BCD is the best Tool to use when it comes to XP/Vista Dual Boot...

Tsumi if do it LR way there should everything working fine...
Tsumetai_Ryujin

Today I managed to find some time to install XP but then I realized my iPod won't connect to any computer... ... and I wanted to use it for backup... ffs... I'll have to postpone it I guess...
.Sup
Executive
Executive

Post by .Sup »

Tsumetai_Ryujin wrote:Today I managed to find some time to install XP but then I realized my iPod won't connect to any computer... ... and I wanted to use it for backup... ffs... I'll have to postpone it I guess...
Explain "wont connect to any pc".
Tsumetai_Ryujin

Simple as that :( wont connect to PC... I insert one end of cable to iPod and other to PC, I hear sound which windows make when something is connected to PC but neither can I see iPod as HDD and neither does iTunes recognizes it and neither does iPod change display picture like it should when its connected to pc (only backlight turns on as usually when its connected)...

I have called the apple support for Croatia and asshole on the phone told me to go to apple.com and search under section "support > FAQ", after I told him what kind of moron he is (and more), he told me to call back when his colleague will be in shop... ffs what kind of morons work on support lines, its unbelievable...
.Sup
Executive
Executive

Post by .Sup »

Is it possible you haven't used your iPod for a while?
Tsumetai_Ryujin

Two days max?