Video card temps and artifacting problems...

For when things break.

Moderator: Executive

WoodenPlank

Post by WoodenPlank »

Wonderful.
The only way I can test it is to put it in one of the display PCs we have at work that has PCI-X and see if it works there.
As for artifacts before booting, I have yet to see any. To make it worse, I dont have a spare card I can throw in here, and cant afford to buy one (even if I were to get one knowing Id return it for a refund later) right now. Isnt life wonderful?

Heres the latest shots of the artifacting. It went from splotches to...much worse.
http://img371.imageshack.us/img371/9126 ... 0029jy.jpg
http://img371.imageshack.us/img371/7793 ... 0033xj.jpg
http://img371.imageshack.us/img371/4816 ... 0058ky.jpg
THe rotten thing is that those dont always appear...heres one that was taken at the same time as those, but looking a different direction...
http://img323.imageshack.us/img323/4285 ... 0048nu.jpg
Hoo hoo, Robin, I invented black-hawk whoring!
Ash2Dust
Executive
Executive

Post by Ash2Dust »

Definitely try the card in a second machine if you can.

Also the problem started after installing a new sound card. Rule that out by completely removing all sound hardware and/or disabling in the bios if onboard. Run the game/windows without any sound and see if it still happens.
Mat-Moo
Executive
Executive

Post by Mat-Moo »

Have you tried removing and reseating the card? could just be in badly?
## # /\/\at-/\/\oo # ## (AKA Mat-d-Rat)
My software
Free reminders by email
zeplin05

Post by zeplin05 »

theres a program called ati tool its more for ati cards there might be one for nvidia but i don't use nvidia so i don't know but atitool has a program that scans for artifacts, works well never had an artifact with any ati card i have had

http://www.techpowerup.com/atitool/
C4Image
C3Image
C2Image
Ramrod64

Post by Ramrod64 »

what about putting the bus frequenz lower with powerstrip?
Ramrod, out!

Cu on Battlefield of =Global-Conflict=
current Campaign:
ChickenSalad

Post by ChickenSalad »

Hey there,
While the 1st pics you posted did show some artifacts, these
are not. Those tearing lines are a pretty clear indicator of an overheating gpu (while artifacts are mostly vram related).

Have you tried running your machine with an open case? Could be that your case just needs additional airflow (you know, hot air doesn't cool well).
But if that doesn't help and if you've still got some warranty on your card, I'd send it in asap.
zeplin05

Post by zeplin05 »

open the case and put a fan on it blowing into the case worked well for me last year :-D its a true overclockers cooling methood
C4Image
C3Image
C2Image
Ash2Dust
Executive
Executive

Post by Ash2Dust »

We're back to overheating. Whats the GPU temps while playing bf2?
zeplin05

Post by zeplin05 »

prolly doesn't have a temp monitor on the card my x800xl doesn't but it does have a fan speed monitor which is weird
C4Image
C3Image
C2Image
WoodenPlank

Post by WoodenPlank »

The GPU never broke 120 immediately after exiting BF2 after a long session. Popped the card in a display PC at work, and the same "paintball artifacts" appeared IMMEDIATELY. Id already tried uninstalling sound cards, reseating the video card, etc. I didnt try a house fan into the PC, but Ive never been close to overheats. CPU temp under major load doesnt even break 105, case temp on my two probes RARELY breaks 90. All those temps are in farenheit, not in C.

Also, those tear lines only appeared that one session, albeit on two different maps. Havent seen them since. Im going to go set that box back up and give it a run with BF2 again.
Hoo hoo, Robin, I invented black-hawk whoring!
Ash2Dust
Executive
Executive

Post by Ash2Dust »

The problem followed the card, get a new card.
ChickenSalad

Post by ChickenSalad »

Overheating, if related to the videocard only as it seems in your case, could also occur from badly mounted heatsinks, failing vent, wrong bios, overclocking, faulty hardware. As I said, if there's still a warranty on it, have it replaced. If not, start with downclocking (if you oc'ed it), then dis- and re-assemble the heatsinks and check the vent...