Playing 2142 without DVD Drive?

For when things break.

Moderator: Executive

Winter_Lion

Post by Winter_Lion »

http://club.cdfreaks.com/showthread.php?t=131341

When I went off after shooting my mouth off about bf2 earlier, I went here and followed the links.

I used Alcohol after using A-ray scanner (free) to identify the protection.

It id'd as the most current version of safedisc. 4.7 I think.

Yes Alcohol will allow you to lie to your pc and thru it to the game protection.

There is only one protection system out there that is pretty much unbeatable.

That is because the different apps. count on your pc telling em the truth. If you can lie to windows and get away with it, Windows makes sure that your game believes it too.

That is what they call emulation and post emulation. It means to lie out your arse but with conviction...........lol.

Alcohol through its windows proxy tells bf that the cd it is using for proof of ownership is the real mcCoy. Unless the game can bypass windows strong grip on memory management, and or hardware interfacing, BF has to go with what it is given............Simple remedy that takes Alcohol engineers around two days to write the code for.............after EA spent a million dollars plus and waited a year to get the updated version.

Seems like that is a big part of game cost now.

Anyways........EA has the piracy losses now under tight control as none of these remedys allow you to use someone elses disc. EA checks your ownership every time you log on the gayspy server. Nobody that I have heard of in a long time is sharing a copy of BF.

Last time was early in BF42 run and even those patches were badly written, unreliable and hard to find.

Good thing...........I hate thieves and wife-beaters. Thieves suck their fun out of the rest of us who pay their own way. They are the lowest of the low............Patooowe.

My DVD burner is twice as fast as the player I used on bf2 and ripped 279megs in 30 seconds. So it ended up bigger but not like 3.0 gigs bigger, eh?

Winter 8O
ImageImage
Total_focus_haz

Post by Total_focus_haz »

Winter your knowledge is limitless
Winter_Lion

Post by Winter_Lion »

Total_focus_haz wrote:Winter your knowledge is limitless
Thanks for that,, Haz. I think your sig is awesome. Very eyegrabbing and styling bro.

Winter :D
ImageImage
Ghoul
8.Lord
8.Lord

Post by Ghoul »

I made full images with Alcohol 120% for BF42 BFV and Road to Rome back in the day and they worked. But I can't get the 30 seconds worth of recording BF2 or BF2142 to work for me. I too would like not to have these disks always in my drives to play.

the version of Alcohol I have is 1.9.2 (build 1705) What version are you getting to work for you winter lion? and what settings are you using when you are creating the image?

My DVD burner does not give me any options (safedisk etc) when reading 2142
Winter_Lion

Post by Winter_Lion »

[SafeDisc 2/3/4 (EFM* Writer)]
MAX Read Speed=65535
Skip Read Error=1
Fast Skip Read Error=1
Read SubChannel Data=0
Read PreGap Area=0
MAX Write Speed=65535
Fix EFM Error=1
Burn RMPS on Disc=0
RecordMethodCount=3
RecordMethod_00=0x04
RecordMethod_01=0x03
RecordMethod_02=0x02

You need the newest version. The safedisc and securdisc have important current version patches. The above is my settings from my .ini file for Alcohol 52.

Remember, you want to create an image first. 30 secs into the copy, cancel and save your partial copy using alcohol prompts.

Then mount on your virt. drive without emulation. Reboot to be on the safe side.

Play game.

THat is how I did it anyways.

Let me know if you still can't get it. I have bunches of very current addy's at forums that asked and answered this issue and then verified it by listening to all those young guns either biatch or thank em.

I bought Alc. 52 from its german website for 11.00 american and I definitely got my moneys worth many games ago.

If you want another idea for toolage that works well. Isobuster demo is free and very intrusive when it comes to surveying any CD or DVD. I repaired some setup.ini files on a couple game images that looked like maybe the game protection made copying them from the disc hard or impossible.

Also:

downloads/Setup_ArayScanner2023.exe

downloads/Protection_ID.exe

Ghoul

Oh, I pm'd you a location to download a copy of my image file for BF2. It is only 2mbs and should work for and CD version of BF2. BF2142 image is currently too big to upload easily. I will be cutting it down to size on Sunday maybe. If you have probs with the image dl, let me know. It is a private view only at filecloud, but dl should work.

Or use this link, I uploaded it to GC

downloads/BF2%20CD%201.mdf

Ghoul
8.Lord
8.Lord

Post by Ghoul »

that file does not work with the version of alcohol I presently have, still tells me to insert CD. I'll see if I can dig up the version you have somewhere.
Winter_Lion

Post by Winter_Lion »

Hmmmmmmmmmm. Well at least you could open it up with file explorer after you mount it and see what is needed by game as a minimum.

That is valuable intel and an education as well.

I am working on 2142 dvd image file right now.

I noticed that Game Jackal has no problem creating an 8 meg profile that replaces the DVD ingame and sets up so easy it's almost goof proof.

They have a free demo avail. as well. http://www.gamejackal.com

They have lots of forum stuff concerning 2142 dvd image creations there as well.

Let me know if you don't get a good file made my friend. I will figure out what you might be not seeing. Sometimes its right in front of your face.

ImageImage
Cheesy
Executive
Executive

Post by Cheesy »

Hmmmmm...still no luck :( I tried making a mini-DVD following Winter's steps, and I've also tried using a full copy of the DVD. I've tried mounting each in both Alcohol and Daemon Tools and still had no luck. Every time, I get the error that the DVD is not in the drive :cry:

Winter, do you think you could PM or email (cheeselord -at- gmail.com) me a copy of your Mini-DVD? Maybe my image is just messed up, but I'm starting to doubt it...
StarLord

Post by StarLord »

StarLord wrote:Well, you can try with an anti-blacklisting tool :

http://ww2.cdmediaworld.com/cgi-bin/dl. ... 11-skl!zip

Open it while you have your image loaded on deamon tool, then click on hide, and you should be able to play. Dont close it when you play, and after you finished playing, make sure to click on the restore buton.
Have you tried this Cheesy?
"There is nothing more exhilarating than to be shot at without result."
-Winston Churchill
Cheesy
Executive
Executive

Post by Cheesy »

Yep, I tried several, including SD4Hide and Pr0c.stop, and none of them worked
Winter_Lion

Post by Winter_Lion »

Cheesy wrote:Hmmmmm...still no luck :( I tried making a mini-DVD following Winter's steps, and I've also tried using a full copy of the DVD. I've tried mounting each in both Alcohol and Daemon Tools and still had no luck. Every time, I get the error that the DVD is not in the drive :cry:

Winter, do you think you could PM or email (cheeselord -at- gmail.com) me a copy of your Mini-DVD? Maybe my image is just messed up, but I'm starting to doubt it...
Sure, I will mail it along my friend. The thing is, I think the CDkey that is peculiar to each player's registered game is present in the image we make and mount. If so, it would explain why Ghoul couldn't make my BF2 CD image work on his pc and why my procedutre is giving you fits as well........Just an idea anyways.

BTW: I have noticed that many players are turning off their optical drives before starting their games. Microsoft has an application that will do that from the desktop or you can just disable your drive in the System tab in Control panel under hardware manager. It is just a click for each drive and this somehow forces game to accept the virtual drive as the orginal installation drive.

You might try that first and see if it solves your dilemma.

ImageImage
Gravis

Post by Gravis »

sort of a dead thread i know... but try gamecopyworld.com for a no dvd patch
Winter_Lion

Post by Winter_Lion »

Gravis wrote:sort of a dead thread i know... but try gamecopyworld.com for a no dvd patch
Beware any app that modifys the .exe file that starts the game.

That is a file that punkbuster checks for mods first. If you hve PB call you on a hacked gamefile, you might not survive the banlist to play another day.

Just a real possibility when you mod PB supervised files. Maybe you win, maybe you lose....gamble........pricey one.

Risk free Winter.........Out :oops:
ImageImage
Gravis

Post by Gravis »

they also have mini images
Ash2Dust
Executive
Executive

Post by Ash2Dust »

of 2142?