Opteron 185 vs. FX60?

For when things break.

Moderator: Executive

Rickey

Opteron 185 vs. FX60?

Post by Rickey »

What's the difference AND any reason not to use it in gaming rig. I read a forum where guys were using it, and saying it's the same thing, only cheaper. Anybody in the know on this?

edit: besides the unlocked multiplier.
Shrapnel
Supporting Member
Supporting Member

Post by Shrapnel »

I thought the Opteron was 64-bit only, not able to prcoess 32-bit applications.

Love the Avatar Rickey. :wink:
[sig]Broken due to link being older than I am (in internet years at least) and laziness[/sig]
styphon
Supporting Member
Supporting Member

Post by styphon »

Opteron is designed for servers. AMD 64bit is designed for general computer use.
Ash2Dust
Executive
Executive

Post by Ash2Dust »

Cache size I believe is different also.
ChickenSalad

Post by ChickenSalad »

Opteron and FX can both run win32 resp. x86 software.
Both the 185 and FX60 have 2MB L2 cache.
They both need/need not have ECC ram, depending on the platform you buy em for.
They both cost a premium over the consumer lines 64 and X2's as the FX aims at the OC geeks and the Opty at the server nerds.

Opteron and FX are almost the same chips, the main differences are:

FX has a fully unlocked multiplier for oc'ing (allthough the Opty seems to be better oc'able on air - due to it's lower watt requirements).
Opteron has 3 hypertransport busses for increased core I/O bandwidth (allthough that's mainly a bonus for multiprocessor (not core!) setups).

So, if you want to OC high using watercooling or better, take the FX.
If you want a cooler running (= less vent noise + theoretically increased stability), take the Opteron.

And if you want a cpu that beats both of em performance-wise for roughly the same price, take an Intel C2D E6600 - but only if upgrading requires you to buy a new mobo anyway.

Here's the official info pages (note that there's additional pages for the various versions of the chips):
Opteron
FX
ph1l0r
Executive
Executive

Post by ph1l0r »

I can give you my paypal address just in a case you happen to have too much money to spend ;-) Both chips are way overpriced.
just call me phil on ts, ingame, wherever. i'll even respond to phil in real life. wooohooo!
Rickey

Post by Rickey »

Thanks Chicken, and others,

I'm not looking to buy another mobo, but was wondering what the best options were for the 939. The mobo I have will take the opty as well as the fx60, so since the opty costs half as much... well, you get the picture.

@Phil: If at some point I become insanely rich, however unlikely that will be, I won't forget you. :lol:

Thanks again guys.

PS: Don't know how I got that avatar, but I hope I get to keep it!
DaGrooved1

Post by DaGrooved1 »

I originally made the avatar for the Fuzzy Wuzzy Admin known as Goggles, but I think Cheesy went and gave it to you instead.
ChickenSalad

Post by ChickenSalad »

I'm just where you are Rickey. Same socket mobo and currently running A64 single core. Gonna update to whatever best dual opty is out by the time I can afford upgrading. :)
Winter_Lion

Post by Winter_Lion »

ChickenSalad wrote:Opteron and FX can both run win32 resp. x86 software.
Both the 185 and FX60 have 2MB L2 cache.
They both need/need not have ECC ram, depending on the platform you buy em for.
They both cost a premium over the consumer lines 64 and X2's as the FX aims at the OC geeks and the Opty at the server nerds.

Opteron and FX are almost the same chips, the main differences are:

FX has a fully unlocked multiplier for oc'ing (allthough the Opty seems to be better oc'able on air - due to it's lower watt requirements).
Opteron has 3 hypertransport busses for increased core I/O bandwidth (allthough that's mainly a bonus for multiprocessor (not core!) setups).

So, if you want to OC high using watercooling or better, take the FX.
If you want a cooler running (= less vent noise + theoretically increased stability), take the Opteron.

And if you want a cpu that beats both of em performance-wise for roughly the same price, take an Intel C2D E6600 - but only if upgrading requires you to buy a new mobo anyway.

Here's the official info pages (note that there's additional pages for the various versions of the chips):
Opteron
FX
Still more proof and we have had years of it, that Salad is one of the smartest people ever to spawn onto a battleserver. I am always impressed by the quality of his investments in our community. I don't impress easily anymore, but he stood tall when I first met him as my BF42 SL and he never fails to amaze.

Thanks Salad..........We would all be poorer without you among us.

Hmmmmmmmmmmmm.........All of a sudden I got the munchies for a nice Chicken Salad sandwich.........Sour dough and pickles..........hold the lettuce.

Respects to Switzerland's finest................Winter. :wink:
ImageImage
ChickenSalad

Post by ChickenSalad »

:oops: Too much praise my friend. :oops:
WoodenPlank

Post by WoodenPlank »

Im running an Athlon 64 x2 4800+ in Socket 939 in my system. Handles Vista, BF2 and 2142, XP and everything else Ive thrown at it with flying colors. Cant wait to see what happens when I kill my RAM and video card bottlenecks this week. My new 2GB of XMS Corsair DDR and my eVGA 8800GTX ACS3 Edition video card should be here wednesday.

Meantime, the 4800 (IF you can find it) is a good bang for the buck.

As for the intels.....Ill take my x64, thank you, especially with Vista.
(Sorry, hardcore anti-intel at this point.....theyve angered me one too many times, just like Sony)
Hoo hoo, Robin, I invented black-hawk whoring!