Did Something Really Stupid [RESOLVED]

For when things break.

Moderator: Executive

tiberian_rebel

Did Something Really Stupid [RESOLVED]

Post by tiberian_rebel »

While attempting to write a DVD, my computer overwrote my BF2142 disc instead of the blank disc. Now my computer no longer recognizes the 2142 disc. Can someone give me a good mini-image so I can bypass my f*** up?
"It is only one who is thoroughly acquainted with the evils of war that can thoroughly understand the profitable way of carrying it on." -Sun Tzu
WoodenPlank

Post by WoodenPlank »

....how did you overwrite your 2142 disc if it was a retail copy?
Hoo hoo, Robin, I invented black-hawk whoring!
Goggles
Executive
Executive

Post by Goggles »

WoodenPlank wrote:....how did you overwrite your 2142 disc if it was a retail copy?
I'm pretty sure it was his DVD burner, not himself
Hi!
WoodenPlank

Post by WoodenPlank »

My point was it shouldnt be possible to overwrite a retail DVD disc. At a software level or a hardware level.
Hoo hoo, Robin, I invented black-hawk whoring!
DaGrooved1

Post by DaGrooved1 »

Yes, if you could overwrite discs, wouldn't that defeat the purpose of buying a rewritable disc? Perhaps his burner scratched it or something?
Rickey

Post by Rickey »

DaGrooved1 wrote:...Perhaps his burner scratched it or something?
That's my bet. Either way, he's out of a disk, and I don't know how/where to get the image he's wanting.
Shrapnel
Supporting Member
Supporting Member

Post by Shrapnel »

What software where you using that would even start the writing process onto a written disc?

I've never seen one that would let you burn without first recognizing the inserted disc as blank.
[sig]Broken due to link being older than I am (in internet years at least) and laziness[/sig]
p0wLe

Post by p0wLe »

I think it is impossible to burn an original retail disc. Did you look on the data layer of that disc? Scratches or just dirt? Is it just this disc that doesn´t work or is the problem maybe on your disc drive?
Rickey wrote:Either way, he's out of a disk, and I don't know how/where to get the image he's wanting.

If there is such a Mini Image, you can find it at www.gamecopyworld.com
<i><b>“I firmly believe that any man's finest hour,the greatest fulfillment of all that he holds dear,<br>is the moment when he has worked his heart out in a good cause and lies exhausted on the field of battle - victorious”(V. Lombardi)</i></b>
#9 - SGT:Image
styphon
Supporting Member
Supporting Member

Post by styphon »

Was about to suggest the same thing powle.
Ash2Dust
Executive
Executive

Post by Ash2Dust »

He could have been using a backup on a RW.
matsif
Executive
Executive

Post by matsif »

hey just a question could I use a mini image of SF to get the install started so I can actually get the game installed?
woke up this morning, put on my slippers, walked in the kitchen and died
tiberian_rebel

Post by tiberian_rebel »

p0wLe wrote:I think it is impossible to burn an original retail disc. Did you look on the data layer of that disc? Scratches or just dirt? Is it just this disc that doesn´t work or is the problem maybe on your disc drive?
None of my drives will recognize that there is even a disc in it. I didn't think it was possible to overwrite a retail disc either, but when I try to start 2142, it asks me to insert the installation disc.

edit: Apparently my computer did write the movie on the blank DVD. However my computer will not recognize it either. Now I'm starting to think I may have an issue with my DVD drive.
Last edited by tiberian_rebel on Mon Feb 12, 2007 7:33 pm, edited 1 time in total.
"It is only one who is thoroughly acquainted with the evils of war that can thoroughly understand the profitable way of carrying it on." -Sun Tzu
Goggles
Executive
Executive

Post by Goggles »

A mini image is typically only the data (or bad sectors) contained at the very very start of a disc, which is what cd detection software tries to look at. You end up cutting off a good 99% of all data on the disc, so I think you're goint have a hard time even getting a setup to start, let alone do anything :/
Hi!
Charger

Post by Charger »

Every cloud has a silver lining, Tiberian.
:?: Welcome back to Vanilla BF2! is the only thing I can think of at the moment.
Cheesy
Executive
Executive

Post by Cheesy »

Hmm... well I have 3.5gb DVD image but it's not mini. Wonder how I could send it to you :?