Eek video driver? issue

For when things break.

Moderator: Executive

Cheesy
Executive
Executive

Eek video driver? issue

Post by Cheesy »

So, here I am, coming home and expecting to enjoy a pleasant NABO beating the bandits back to oblivion. I turn on my computer (which has been off for the last two weeks) and go get some food. When I come back 5 minutes later, its just on a black screen. Not quite black, just that color it gets when the screen is on but theres nothing there.

So then I wait 5 more minutes and nothing happens, and I get worried. So then I restart in safe mode.

Then it starts spitting out all the drivers it's loading really fast, but it stops all of a sudden on one line. It hasnt gone any further in the last 10 minutes. The last line is multi(0)disk(0)rdisk(0)partition(1)\WINDOWS\System32\DRIVERS\agp440.sys (it just hangs on that).

My limited understanding suggests the video card is messed up, which would explain why the screen isnt doing stuff. But beyond that im kinda lost.

I found this while googling, but the impression I got from another forum I saw is that it can mess things up even worse, so I havent tried it yet.

Any ideas whats going on and how I would fix it?

Thx :oops:
Cheeseball

Post by Cheeseball »

Well Cheesy, you missed a great NABO. I got to command, and we won all 6 rounds. It seems like its your video card. Make sure your printer is off when you turn on your computer. But otherwise, i have no idea.
C 8: Image
Cheesy
Executive
Executive

Post by Cheesy »

Cheeseball wrote:Well Cheesy, you missed a great NABO. I got to command, and we won all 6 rounds. It seems like its your video card. Make sure your printer is off when you turn on your computer. But otherwise, i have no idea.
Last time I checked my video card wasnt inside my printer :roll:
madcow
Executive
Executive

Post by madcow »

Cheesy wrote:Last time I checked my video card wasnt inside my printer :roll:
Are you sure about that? You never know where anything's going to be with all this new technology.
Clicky to become a Voteable member.

“…so realistic, it'll have you picking shrapnel out of your backside.”
cVetko

Post by cVetko »

u can use the google info it has step by step instructions how to fix it. otherwise im pretty sure that theres nothing wrong with ur grafics card its just the drivers that are messed up so try removing them and reinstal them again :)
u might want to back up stuff u need before u start fixing things

gl
mama...
Ash2Dust
Executive
Executive

Post by Ash2Dust »

You're still on the laptop correct? Unplug everything. docking station, USB mice, printers, etc to make sure that they're not the problem.

Most likely a software issue, not hardware. It could be a video driver. Its either that driver or the next file after it that is having a problem. Some virus and spyware can cause a hang there too as they tend to load right after that driver. Drivers dont go and corrupt themselves unless you're having hard drive failure or heat issues. I doubt you're overclocking.

If you have a 2nd machine and an external 2.5" IDE HDD USB enclosure (Radio Shack sells them), you can remove a couple screws and pull the hard drive. There may be removeable adapter on the drives pins that can be slowly and gently rocked off. Dont touch the drives pins or circuit board. Then backup your data to another machine. And then scan the drive for viruses and spyware. Then run a chkdsk x: /r, x being the USB assigned drive letter.

Something to glance at
http://www.ianwij.com/weblog/archive/20 ... 40sys.aspx

Anyways, if you're chasing the video driver route, you should also update the motherboard chipset drivers as the video relys on them.
Cheesy
Executive
Executive

Post by Cheesy »

Thanks for the tips, I'll try this stuff when I get home tonight. And this is my desktop that is having problems, after being off for two weeks. Which is why I dont see how anything too bad could have happened :?
Ash2Dust
Executive
Executive

Post by Ash2Dust »

Do the same thing, except get a 3.5" IDE HDD enclosure (as long as you're not SATA drive or performance RAID). Then you can scan the drive from your laptop for malware and drive issues. Start with the easy disconnect everything attached to your desktop.

You havent unplugged your monitor from you add-on video card and plugged it into a built in vga port on the motherboard in the last couple weeks have you?
Cheesy
Executive
Executive

Post by Cheesy »

Ok, luckily I didnt have to go to all that trouble. I followed that link Ash gave and somebody said unplugging his mouse fixed it, so I just unplugged everything but the power and monitor and tried starting up. And it worked 8O So then I slowly put one thing on after another trying to find the problem, and now ive put everything back in and it still works :?

The only problem is that the find new hardware wizard is freezing while trying to install a USB hub I have, which an external HD is connected to :?
Cheesy
Executive
Executive

Post by Cheesy »

Ah ok, I figured out the problem now. It was trying to boot from my external HD. How do I stop that? :?
Chefcook

Post by Chefcook »

Bios Option! Boot from USB can be deactivated there.
ImageImage
Lets Cook and Roll!
Ramrod64

Post by Ramrod64 »

or remove your usb harddisk :P
Ramrod, out!

Cu on Battlefield of =Global-Conflict=
current Campaign:
Ash2Dust
Executive
Executive

Post by Ash2Dust »

Depending who the manufacturer is, there should be a boot sequence option.

As for the USB hardware wizard, its for some reason trying to find new drivers. Install the latest motherboard chipset driver (usually includes it USB drivers).
MadRat

Post by MadRat »

no dont turn off USB ports or none of the usb will

this should be a simple boot priority go into your BIOS and set up

boot priority which ever HDD you use should be first

then cd/dvd optical drive oh i forgot you dont have one of these

next should be a floppy then any external drive that should cure it

if not, it probably means that the drive you would use for booting up

is being bypassed because thier is sometning wrong with it

and your pc is going to the next drive in sequence which seems tobe

your external HDD.
Camp2 Staff Sergeant.MadRat E.C/1st Egyptian
Camp3 :Howler (Sergeant).MadRat Simian Crusader Uber Mercenaries/Armored Ape Brigade Image
Camp4: Buttermonkey(2ndLieutenant).MadRat SCUM Raiders/Tank/Monkey
Camp5:Private.MadRat Hogan's Heroes/Baker's Sneaky Bastard's
Campaign 6 : 2nd Lieutenant.MadRat Operation: X/=SAS= Special Assault Squad
Campaign 7 : Pirate.MadRat Neutrals/Pirates
Campaign 8 : Recruit.MadRat Interpol/Recruits
Cheesy
Executive
Executive

Post by Cheesy »

Ok, after I restart I was able to put the External HD in, so now everything is working as before. However, im wondering if this problem will happen again. If it does, i guess ill just unplug the external HD.

When I go into the BIOS, I only have 3 choices for boot order: "Disk Drive", HD, or optical, so I cant specify which HD it uses.

Oh well, its working now so I cant complain :roll: Thanks for all the help!