Grafic card dying? or POE2 bug

For when things break.

Moderator: Executive

Stonie
Executive
Executive

Grafic card dying? or POE2 bug

Post by Stonie »

All my icons on my desktop have white stripes.
That all after one round of POE2

I spawned at the Bunker on Dnipro. Never saw this before, but to be honest I never was at bunker before.

ph1l0r
Executive
Executive

Post by ph1l0r »

Haxx0r! Cheat0r!
.Sup
Executive
Executive

Post by .Sup »

uf doesnt look good. go ingame and try to play POE again. After how long did it start doing this? Monitor your temperature settings.
sushi
Executive
Executive

Post by sushi »

must be a flashback of your computer being stoned

:wink:
wow I haven' seen this since I tried to play BF42 on my old notebook. and back than it wasn't that bad. :cry:
Did you have any other graphic applications running at the time?
MorpheusPT

Post by MorpheusPT »

try doing the shaders stuff again
Morph
ChickenSalad

Post by ChickenSalad »

I've seen these effects before. The tearing 3D-ish lines are usualy related to GPU errors, the texture mishmash can be caused by various parts on the gfx card (VRAM, resistors, transistors aso.).

As it's summer now I'd bet on overheating. Try playing with an open case, maybe put a vent in front of it. If it works like that, enhance your cooling system.

My own experience though showed twice that - as long as it's not simple overheating - it's an indication of a dying card. Lost a TI4200 and a R9700 this way. Starts acting up, goes away, comes back, get's worse till there's nothing recognizable left on the screen. :(
Insolvenzverwalter

Post by Insolvenzverwalter »

hmm, I would start with a clean reinstall of the graphics card drivers. Try Driver Cleaner Pro to get rid of all the current graphics drivers in your system http://downloads.guru3d.com/download.php?det=745, its suitable for nvidia and ati chipsets but read the description first and make sure you only delete your graphics drivers.
Afterwards reinstall the uptodate drivers.
Worked excellent for me on several occasions although I never had THAT problem.

Regards,
Wally
ImageImageImageImageImageImage
Ash2Dust
Executive
Executive

Post by Ash2Dust »

ChickenSalad wrote:I've seen these effects before. The tearing 3D-ish lines are usualy related to GPU errors, the texture mishmash can be caused by various parts on the gfx card (VRAM, resistors, transistors aso.).

As it's summer now I'd bet on overheating. Try playing with an open case, maybe put a vent in front of it. If it works like that, enhance your cooling system.

My own experience though showed twice that - as long as it's not simple overheating - it's an indication of a dying card. Lost a TI4200 and a R9700 this way. Starts acting up, goes away, comes back, get's worse till there's nothing recognizable left on the screen. :(
Dead on.

You can try underclocking the card and if that helps then its probably a heat issue. Check that the video card fan is actually spinning and the vents are clear of dust build up. Dont put pressure on the fan or its blades.

I had a Gainward 4200 that started doing that (and locking up). After several thousands of us complained they extended the warranty and replaced a bank of capacitors that were failing while denying that there was any problem.
matsif
Executive
Executive

Post by matsif »

yea prolly a heat issue stonie, my old x700 did that when it overheated

and you said you were having heat issues right? I thought I heard you say that to me and chef while playing WiC one day... :?
woke up this morning, put on my slippers, walked in the kitchen and died
ChickenSalad

Post by ChickenSalad »

Ash2Dust wrote:
ChickenSalad wrote:Lost a TI4200 [...] this way.
I had a Gainward 4200 that started doing that (and locking up). After several thousands of us complained they extended the warranty and replaced a bank of capacitors that were failing while denying that there was any problem.
Heh, guess who had produced my failing TI4200. Must say though, in favor of Gainward, that the replacement card they sent me never stopped working or starting to act up. Used it as my backup card till switching from APG to PCI-E. Friend of mine still has his damaged card, decided to just buy a new one instead of sending the old one in. Needless to say we both wont ever buy a Gainward product again. :roll:
Stonie
Executive
Executive

Post by Stonie »

matsif wrote:yea prolly a heat issue stonie, my old x700 did that when it overheated

and you said you were having heat issues right? I thought I heard you say that to me and chef while playing WiC one day... :?
Yeah I had heat issues. My van was pulling in hot air 32°C, so my pc shut itself down.

I have my case open and a MY van is lying on the floor blowing on my motherboard and videocard
I update drivers.....

But all not working:?

I am looking for a new system.:P

Thanks for the reactions
Ash2Dust
Executive
Executive

Post by Ash2Dust »

ChickenSalad wrote: Heh, guess who had produced my failing TI4200. Must say though, in favor of Gainward, that the replacement card they sent me never stopped working or starting to act up. Used it as my backup card till switching from APG to PCI-E. Friend of mine still has his damaged card, decided to just buy a new one instead of sending the old one in. Needless to say we both wont ever buy a Gainward product again. :roll:
Yes, Gainward's infamous Ti-4200 'Golden Sample'. I returned it in person because their 1 man RMA dept in Fremont, CA kept giving me the run around. They had their receptionist cutting old capacitors off and soldering new ones on at the front desk. Stacks laying on the carpet floor. No EMS protection or anything. I didnt leave until they gave me a new one in a retail box. Used it until I got my 6800GT
cVetko

Post by cVetko »

MSX sideaffects!
mama...
ChickenSalad

Post by ChickenSalad »

Ash2Dust wrote:They had their receptionist cutting old capacitors off and soldering new ones on at the front desk.
Crazy crap. Mine got sent in and I got a new replacement card which had a different pcb, diff. color, with more connectors (my original one lacked either DVI or TV-out, new one had all three), additional cables and another (cheap ass) free game. Had to wait 2 weeks for it though.