RAM question

For when things break.

Moderator: Executive

matsif
Executive
Executive

RAM question

Post by matsif »

hypothetically, if I wanted 4gb, would I be better off buying a set of 2x2gb dual channel sticks or 2 2x1gb sets?

also, if the 2x2gb is better, is it worth getting them if they have a worse timing(say 5-5-5-15 instead of 4-4-4-12 on the other set)?
woke up this morning, put on my slippers, walked in the kitchen and died
madcow
Executive
Executive

Post by madcow »

I would go for the 2.2GB simply because then you aren't using up all of your slots and can upgrade in the future.

I'm sure you would not notice a difference in performance between those 2 timings. Which is cheaper?
Clicky to become a Voteable member.

“…so realistic, it'll have you picking shrapnel out of your backside.”
matsif
Executive
Executive

Post by matsif »

about the same, $0.01 off. this is mostly just research for my next comp. build.
.Sup
Executive
Executive

Post by .Sup »

You have vista or xp? xp supports 3 gig max vista 8. Here in europe i havent seen 2 gb stick. But if in USA a 2 gb stick exsist i still wouldnt buy it. I would buy 4x1gb cos you can use them in 2x dual channel. More stcks biger possibility that 1 of them will die. But there is warranty especially if your gonna but the ones with lower latency which you can use to OC your proc. Those usually have longer warranty. So buy better rams (with lower latency) if you are gonna overclock (recommended for C2D).
matsif
Executive
Executive

Post by matsif »

SUPR3 wrote:You have vista or xp?
gonna be getting vista x64 at whatever service pack they have when I build the machine, which won't be until next summer at the earliest.
SUPR3 wrote:So buy better rams (with lower latency) if you are gonna overclock (recommended for C2D).
haven't overclocked anything ever, and don't know how to do it. :roll:
MasterOhh

Post by MasterOhh »

Normal users will notice no difference in the performance when using different timings. More important might be the clocking of your RAM. But even there is the impact on your systems overall performance minimal.

Are you using CAD tools, or other programs that work with high level mathematic funktions like finite element methods or similar stuff?
Otherwise there would be no need for you using a 64bit system and more than 2 GB RAM.
Von_Krieg
Executive
Executive

Post by Von_Krieg »

Make sure that the timings are the same.
SSnake_Plissken
Location: an obscure body in the S-K system, known to its inhabitants as the planet Earth

Post by SSnake_Plissken »

I read that some newer motherboards/chipsets require the 64-bit version of XP/Vista.

You might want to consider getting the newer boards and DDR3 memory, it might be worth it, i.e. cheaper, by then especially if your building it next summer.
"The Korova milkbar sold milk-plus, milk plus vellocet or synthemesc or drencrom, which is what we were drinking. This would sharpen you up and make you ready for a bit of the old ultraviolence."
Total_focus_haz

Post by Total_focus_haz »

certain versions off vista only support 4 gb though, you gotta be careful with that as well
DaRkAcE

Post by DaRkAcE »

Only the 64bit Vista can support more than 3.25gb of ram. All the others will only read 3.25gb of ram.
madcow
Executive
Executive

Post by madcow »

DDR3 is waaaay too expensive at the moment.

matsif
Executive
Executive

Post by matsif »

madcow wrote:DDR3 is waaaay too expensive at the moment.
yea...was looking at it and for the number of mobo's that support it (uhh...5?), spending $1k per 2gb isn't worth it. thats twice as much as the better of the Core 2 Quad's out currently.
madcow
Executive
Executive

Post by madcow »

matsif wrote:thats twice as much as the better of the Core 2 Quad's out currently.
Also, I wouldn't bother with one of them. The E6850 is the best to go for of the current stock.

PinkAss

Post by PinkAss »

E6850 is great but the best price/performance/oc atm is E6750 :)
SSnake_Plissken
Location: an obscure body in the S-K system, known to its inhabitants as the planet Earth

Post by SSnake_Plissken »

yeah but if your building your PC next year, DDR3 will be much cheaper. And build you PC for the future, not for today (or whenever you build it). Anything built for now will be old tech too soon.

When shopping around for parts, think about when you'll be making the purchases, next summer is a long time away in the tech world. Any research you do, or wish list you make now will likely change by the time you buy. What cost a lot now, will be much cheaper in a year...
Last edited by SSnake_Plissken on Mon Oct 22, 2007 7:25 pm, edited 1 time in total.
"The Korova milkbar sold milk-plus, milk plus vellocet or synthemesc or drencrom, which is what we were drinking. This would sharpen you up and make you ready for a bit of the old ultraviolence."