ibookair - any words of wisdom anybody

For when things break.

Moderator: Executive

sushi
Executive
Executive

ibookair - any words of wisdom anybody

Post by sushi »

we are currently sitting here in the office drooling and rewatching that apple trailer for the ibookair thing.

For a traveller this baby is surely a real nice piece of equipment. Does anybody has an opinion if it is usable for gaming in any way?

I have to admit I am new to mac - pc interaction. Is there are workable way to have a network at home with a PC and that baby on the other side?

Can I for instance use the wireless mouses I use for my PC? And could I play the upcomming PC version of Assassin Creed on it?

Thoughts ?

:?
Goggles
Executive
Executive

Post by Goggles »

I was at the office yesterday for 8 hours with basically nothing to do, so I was able to follow the Macworld Keynote as they introduced the Macbook Air :)

The base model has a Core 2 Duo with a 1.6mhz clock, 2 gb of memory and a 80-gb HDD. Remember that it runs the Leopard OS, so if you wanted to play games you'll almost definitely have to install a windows virtual environment first. Also, I can't find any details on specific video capabilities, but I'm willing to bet that because of the size limitations, you won't get very much of a boost from that.

It's a pretty little machine, but it really is made to be used as a mobile workstation, not so much for gaming. But that's my personal opinion :P
ChickenSalad

Post by ChickenSalad »

Hate to sound like the hopeless Apple denier that I am but ... that thing's the usual half-baked, shiny, overpriced product everybody loves / hates from Apple. Tbh. when I first saw it and read about it I was drooling too, thinking that'd been the laptop I'd bought would it have been around a year ago. But then I (and so many others) realized:

This thing has nothing other ultra portable's wouldn't have too.
In fact, it's lacking many things others have, like exchangeable battery (need new bat? send it in - together with all your sensitive data - to have the bat replaced by Apple), upgradeable ram (more ram? No chance. What you say, it's broken? How about buying a new laptop cos you'll need to replace the entire motherboard!), fast cpu (1,8Ghz C2D ... yawn), a fast harddisk (4200rpm pata hd .. rofl?!), ethernet connector, usb ports (mind the "s"), built in card reader(s) (seriously, best feature ever. Didn't think of it till I got one. Backup, security, casual transfer ... all a breeze.), optical drive (Got install dvd? Rofl!) aso. And while it's slimmer, it's still not actualy smaller than the competition:
http://gizmodo.com/345162/how-slim-is-the-macbook-air

With all the addons and adapters necessary to make it a fully featured product, it'll cost more than 2000$. Hell, you can get 4 Eee PC's for that price and they'll all do pretty much the same as this one: Office and surfing. As for gaming, the only thing the Intel GMA X3100 is good for is ancient PC games (and console emulators up to PS1, maybe PS2 - if you're into that). Forget contemporary 3D: http://www.tech.co.uk/computing/upgrade ... -gma-x3100

Networking with PC won't be an issue, hell you could even simply run XP in dual boot on it. As for PC peripherals, not sure but I think most should work on both. Nevertheless even Logitech lists only some of their mice as compatible for Mac.

What I'd realy not get it for is traveling. Did you read anything about security features? Shock protection, reinforced frame, data protection, smartcard, fingerprint, anything? Me neither.

There's just 2 tasks this is good for: Showing-off ... and surfing/texting on the couch at home.
And if anyone's willing to spend nearly 2000$ just for that, Apple better make this reality too:

.Sup
Executive
Executive

Post by .Sup »

When i first saw it i was like WOW! Amazing. Well you could set up boot camp, with both macosx and winxp. Mouse should work but as far as i know macs don't have right click function.
matsif
Executive
Executive

Post by matsif »

still hate apple, still won't spend $2k+ on this thing, and whats the point if you can't replace the battery? boy that will be fun when this starts having the macbook pro explosion issues... :?
woke up this morning, put on my slippers, walked in the kitchen and died
BlackOps_Book

Post by BlackOps_Book »

I play on my Mac every day...no probs yet