HELP: All Execs, Admins and Vets die in tragic plane crash.

For when things break.

Moderator: Executive

BRUMMIE
Senator
Senator

HELP: All Execs, Admins and Vets die in tragic plane crash.

Post by BRUMMIE »

OK thats a bit far fetched I must admit, however, we are in the process of compiling an 'idiots guide' to putting together and running an on-line community and tournament. The intention is to build a manual that will contain all the information needed in one place. This could be done through a Wiki, but it never seems to work that way.

The mighty DaGrooved one has almost completed the section on how to run an army. Once that is complete I'm sure he will post for public dissection and comment.

However, there are other sections that need to be added to the overall manual, namely:

Feel free to plagiarize/steal idea etc. from other communities. This isn't being put together for publication - its for our own use. If you want to acknowledge them though then thats ok to.

FORUM ETIQUETTE including but not limited to; acceptable behaviour and language. Signature rules and how to incorporate them into your postings. Avatars - where when and why. Naming conventions etc.

HOW TO ADMIN A BATTLESERVER -self explanatory but put together for budding Tournament Admins and Battleserver Admins. Should also include uploading files/maps/mods etc.

HOW TO ADMIN ABC - again self-explanatory but requires not only the technical walk-through but also something on usage, conventions, draft etc.

HOW TO RECRUIT AND KEEP PLAYERS. - includes how to recruit and keep players.

HOW TO MANAGE THE FRONT PAGE AND UPLOAD GRAPHICS - Includes all the conventions, sizing etc.

TO BE CONTINUED:

Looking for volunteers now - but you all know who you are.
DaGrooved1

Post by DaGrooved1 »

3 Gosh dang years and you still can't spell my name right...
gomimin

Post by gomimin »

example:

http://www.bf2combat.net/about.php

!pay to play Tournament!
BRUMMIE
Senator
Senator

Post by BRUMMIE »

Very slick. Now we just to have to make ours that much better.
gomimin

Post by gomimin »

funny: they have 23.000 + registered, and they've got a memberslist that states when registered and when last seen...very interesting in studying activity there
sushi
Executive
Executive

Post by sushi »

I guess I will do something regarding forum etiquette and sigs :twisted:
Stonie
Executive
Executive

Post by Stonie »

I will be your assistant, Sushi.

On ABC, Matt did a good job in various HELP walktroughs on each admin level in ABC. People just need to read them (like Matt always is happy to point to :wink: )

The links are at the buttom of the admin page.
BRUMMIE
Senator
Senator

Post by BRUMMIE »

mmm I'm set as SuperAdmin in ABC and I scrolled to the buttom of most areas and couldn't see any Help links. Am I looking in the wrong area?

It is true that ABC is relatively easy to navigate and therefore admin, but one is always worried about ones breaking of things.

This is true of many actions that an Admin of any stripe might encounter, but the idea is that if it is spelled out simply step by step then the intimidation factor of delving into new areas is reduced and therefore the group of people who might be interested in doing the job will consequently increase.

Or - in more plain English - Keep it simple and show that its simple and more peeps will risk taking on the job.
Mat-Moo
Executive
Executive

Post by Mat-Moo »

BRUMMIE wrote:mmm I'm set as SuperAdmin in ABC and I scrolled to the buttom of most areas and couldn't see any Help links. Am I looking in the wrong area?
May not be the best stuff in the world, but should be a pretty good base file to utilise.
## # /\/\at-/\/\oo # ## (AKA Mat-d-Rat)
My software
Free reminders by email
Winter_Lion

Post by Winter_Lion »

sushi25 wrote:I guess I will do something regarding forum etiquette and sigs :twisted:
If you need help with that.....Sushi. Let me know. I have forum rules and info pages I already composed and typed up last time we painted this place.

I just never had anyone express any interest in same after the initial planning meeting.

Stand where ya live my friend.........Winter. :wink:
ImageImage
Total_focus_haz

Post by Total_focus_haz »

i am happy to help out and so me skills better but them to some use!!

can do Web site stuff and network maintenence as its my job so let me know only happy to help out
Total_focus_haz

so do we know who does what and what runs what and what logs in with what?
Hitman47
Supporting Member
Supporting Member

Post by Hitman47 »

yes. With what do you wish to help out haz? Recruting or Making frontpages or making the new GC website with Goggles?

Note: if you don't have the time and dedication for it don't apply for anything.
BF2: C5 - Corporal | C6 - Corporal | C7 - Feldwebel (Sergeant) | C8 - Neutral Peace Keeper | C9 - Captain | C10 - Grand Moff (HC) | C11 - Macaca (Staff Sergeant) | C12 - Major | C13 - Corporal
BF3: C1 - Colonel | C2 - General | C3 - Neutral | C4 - Brigadier | C5 - Private | C6 - Brigadier General
BF4: C1 - Tournament Admin | C2 - General
.Sup
Executive
Executive

Post by .Sup »

Haz is always ready to help but when the misses says hoover the flat he runs to a pub instead :P
Total_focus_haz

Damn Right!!!

i am pretty free the week nights and weekends now so am able to give more time than usual so can help out with what needs attention! i know some webby stuff and php. Though i am Cisco Trained and work with Data networks so if i can help with the servers then no worries.

So sign me up