PC no Workie!!! [RESOLVED] PC workie again!!

For when things break.

Moderator: Executive

Total_focus_haz

PC no Workie!!! [RESOLVED] PC workie again!!

Post by Total_focus_haz »

Switched the PC on this morning and in turns on fine but no picture comes up on the monitor.

Monitor goes to sleep as there is no feed.

Replaced Graphics Card
Replaced Power Supply

Only thing i havent changed is the HDD, and if its that then no BF2 tonight.

Any thoughts?
gomimin

Post by gomimin »

Look into Bios which graphic slot is set as First (PCI -Express or PCI/AGP)

Prolly it's reset to PCI...so you should change to PCI-e (normally BIOS should detect by itself...but sometimes...)

Did you uninstall old graphic drivers (in case you had an ATI and now a Nvidia or other way round) before you swapped graphic card ?
sushi
Executive
Executive

Post by sushi »

2 simple things to check: Did you try another monitor? Did you unplug and replug the monitor cable? Just to be sure.
Total_focus_haz

Yeah the monitor works on the other PC i use for Programming but not the gaming machine.

Gommie i dont even get to see the bios screen as nothing shows on Monitor so i think it maybe the HDD.
AlbinoKalle69

Post by AlbinoKalle69 »

what about your rams? recently i had the same problem with the monitor and I am not quite sure what the reason was but after I plugged my two ram sticks in the other two ram slots of my mainboard, the problem was solved.
however, I don't know for sure whether on slot is not working...but now my computer works just like before the problem.
LandRover

Post by LandRover »

In situations where no hardware components seem to have been affected, a common source a trouble could have been a simple ESD (Electro Static Discharge) which may have corrupted the CMOS memory.

Do the following to Discharge the CMOS

This is done by a set of jumpers on the motherboard, often near the CMOS battery. The small plastic clip is normally on pins 1 and 2. To discharge the CMOS memory, make sure the power is off (cable disconnected) and move the jumper to pins 2 and 3. You can return the jumper to pins 1-2 after only a few seconds. Now the CMOS memory has been cleared. (If you don't see these pins, you can remove the battery for 10 to 15 minutes for the same result)

Like a miracle, your computer will now start normally, but note that if your BIOS had been previously modified with more advanced options, it has been reset to a Standard mode. If you do not know anything about this subject, it is more likely that it was using the standard mode already, so you have nothing to worry about.

Before spending hours trying to identify which components have been affected, try this simple procedure, as often today, static is the biggest culprit in startup failures.

If this does not solve the problem, look at the Power Supply, the second biggest problem.

Good luck
LR
.Sup
Executive
Executive

Post by .Sup »

Its ur mobo-reset CMOS. On xfire for instructions
Goggles
Executive
Executive

Post by Goggles »

Is it plugged in?
Charger

Post by Charger »

It is doubtful to be the HDD. My son's rig did the same thing, he bought a whole new rig. I am using the old 200 Gb HDD he had in the problem machine. I suspect Mobo.
Total_focus_haz

Fixed it was the motherboard, woohoo back online and just in time

Cheers Guys for Input it helps in figuring crap out
DaGrooved1

Post by DaGrooved1 »

Glad to hear it's all fixed up, going to de-"announce" this thread now :P