Monitor and related stuff

For when things break.

Moderator: Executive

Tsumetai_Ryujin

Monitor and related stuff

Post by Tsumetai_Ryujin »

So... I'm buying new monitor, but I would like to use it as a TV also... so I'm thinking about getting one of those TV tuner cards and watch TV on monitor... I was thinking about getting monitor and TV in one but choices are very limited since it has to be able to mount on wall... anyway... my questions are

1. How much does response time effect watching TV program over Monitor (what is difference between 2,3,5,6...)?
2. Which TV tuner card would you recommend to me?
3. Could you recommend me some monitor which is somewhere in price range as Samsung T220 (maybe 100-150$ more)? (it has to be able to mount on wall)
4. What is difference in qualiti between monitor/TV and monitor with TV tuner card?

I just hope there is anyone on this forum who has some knowledge in this area :\
.Sup
Executive
Executive

Re: Monitor and related stuff

Post by .Sup »

1. Response time wont affect TV picture as all modern monitors have 5ms or less response time especially if you're gonna watch ordinary analog programs.

2. I bought Gigabyte U8000 USB which also supports digital signal, its decent but I don't use it. Wanted to use it wireless but the supplied antenna is a joke.

3/4.TV cards generally give you more options and you can record with them but if you're not gonna record the shitty analog signal then I'd recommend an LCD monitor TV. I recently purchased the T240 the bigger 24" to the one you mentioned (T220).

Its very good (although the 245B is still better when it comes to colors but it was more expensive also) but is now wall mountable so I presume T220 is not either. Have a look at T220HD-basically the same as T240 but has an extra HDMI port (2x) and integrated TV tuner. But again probably not wall mountable. Best go to your preferred online store and link me to the models you like and I will tell what I think about them. TV tuners with HDMI are rare and expensive and HDMI is standard nowadays. Besides the supplied remote with the Samsung HD TV is much better than the one you get with TV tuners.
Tsumetai_Ryujin

I was so ready to buy T220HD but when I found out it's not wall mountable, my whole new room arrangement fell into water :(

I don't have preferred Online store since I buy stuff where they are cheapest :\

Could you at least recommend me some manufacturers beside Samsung?

btw, ty already ^^
.Sup
Executive
Executive

Post by .Sup »

Tsumetai_Ryujin wrote:I was so ready to buy T220HD but when I found out it's not wall mountable, my whole new room arrangement fell into water :(

I don't have preferred Online store since I buy stuff where they are cheapest :\

Could you at least recommend me some manufacturers beside Samsung?

btw, ty already ^^
If you wanna go cheap but still made of quality then Samsung and LG are the only two choices for an overall monitor. First you need to decide whether to get a monitor with a TV tuner or a monitor with an integrated TV card. I would go with the second option.
Tsumetai_Ryujin

I really don't know now... ... my whole plan for new room failed... I guess I'll have to wait till my brother really moves out and when he takes (or me trows out) most of his stuff...

tyvm .Sup
Colts

Post by Colts »

.Sup wrote: Image
btw:
two monitors are ok but for what you have two boxes and 4 headsets?

is it a new way to hear surround sound i don´t know yet :P
.Sup
Executive
Executive

Post by .Sup »

To listen with this:
this
this
and this

:P
madcow
Executive
Executive

Post by madcow »

Do you compose/mix music Sup?
Clicky to become a Voteable member.

“…so realistic, it'll have you picking shrapnel out of your backside.”
LandRover

Post by LandRover »

WOW! Sup!
I didn't know they were making modern vacuum tubes receivers--this is more than impressive, it is beautiful technology. 8)

I guess it's time for me to upgrade my 1949 Silverstone 8003 AM receiver. 8O
.Sup
Executive
Executive

Post by .Sup »

@madcow-I used to mix In Traktor DJ Studio but that was ages ago, only use this stuff for music listening pleasure

@Landrover nice! How does that puppy sound? Did you do any tube rolling? I also have an old (1955/56) tube radio that my grandpa left me, have some pics.

Tubes and some capacitors replaced and added grounding and now works great its also very well preserved but a little dusty on the inside :P

AusbilderSchmidt
Supporting Member
Supporting Member

Post by AusbilderSchmidt »

hey thats the same from my grandma, as i was a kid...nice remembering
[IMG]https:///images/210831/.jpg[/IMG]
C7:CPL C8:MAJ C9:SFC C10:COL C11:TA C13:SGT
.Sup
Executive
Executive

Post by .Sup »

AusbilderSchmidt wrote:hey thats the same from my grandma, as i was a kid...nice remembering
made in Austria :D so close to both of us
Ash2Dust
Executive
Executive

Post by Ash2Dust »

I was sorta in the same boat as you. Wanted a TV/monitor, but ended up just using it as a monitor and watching movies.
HDMI means I can manually hook up a HDMI receiver, DVD player, etc or run a tuner card in my computer. Anyways, I found that it was easier to not have TV on my computer monitor as when I'm gaming, I cant watch TV.

For the price I couldnt pass this up when my 20" CRT died a few months ago. I dont think Costco is international. Maybe theres a distributor in your part of the world.:
http://www.costco.com/Browse/Product.as ... lang=en-US

My only complaint is the viewing angles are not very forgiving when close. Specifically vertically. From the couch its fine. And the blacks can be a little light during dark scenes in movies.
Response: I have no issues
Contrast: I have no issues unless I'm willing to pay twice as much
Brightness: Definitely not an issue.
Speakers: Complete crap. But I already had 5.1 speakers so not an issue.

I'm extremely happy for the price and size.

It can wallmount. My TV tuner is about 6 years old so I cant advise. Response time with TV is not an issue. Maybe with games, but the current LCD's seem to not have an issue.
Tsumetai_Ryujin

But if I have two monitors... on one I can watch TV and on other I can play, all in same time, can't I?
.Sup
Executive
Executive

Post by .Sup »

Tsumetai_Ryujin wrote:But if I have two monitors... on one I can watch TV and on other I can play, all in same time, can't I?
Sure you can. TV monitor is easy, monitor with tuner a bit more troubles but it can be done. Although you have a really good GFX in order to playback video (TV programs) and play games at the same time, would probably lag if its a more demanding game