Import Battlefield 2 CdKey into Steam

For when things break.

Moderator: Executive

ph1l0r
Executive
Executive

Import Battlefield 2 CdKey into Steam

Post by ph1l0r »

yadda yadda. anyone knows if it's possible to "import" a bf2 license into steam? E.g. feed Steam the Serial and have it download, install and maintain bf2? learned recently that bf2 is available on steam meanwhile. while i like fancy boxes and stuff steam is very convenient :)
just call me phil on ts, ingame, wherever. i'll even respond to phil in real life. wooohooo!
matsif
Executive
Executive

Re: Import Battlefield 2 CdKey into Steam

Post by matsif »

I don't think it works like that. you can buy the game through steam, but I don't think it will "maintain" it (ex: keep patches and whatnot) because its not an official game on steam, just something you can buy off them.

if you have the game installed, you can put it on your steam games list though and you can start the game through steam (if you have the cd in the drive or emulated). to do this, open steam, go to my games -> button on lower left (for me) that says "add non steam game" from there you can add any game installed on your PC to steam and it will read that you are playing it to your friends and put it on your "my games" list.
woke up this morning, put on my slippers, walked in the kitchen and died
.Sup
Executive
Executive

Post by .Sup »

What matsif said
ph1l0r
Executive
Executive

Post by ph1l0r »

mhkay. would have been too good i guess. just importing it to be able to start it from steam is silly.
just call me phil on ts, ingame, wherever. i'll even respond to phil in real life. wooohooo!
sushi
Executive
Executive

Post by sushi »

right!
madcow
Executive
Executive

Post by madcow »

You can make some non-Steam games into Steam games. To see if it can be integrated go to 'My games' tab and then click 'Activate a product on Steam'. You'll have to put in the CD key. If it works then the game will be tied to Steam and you'll need to have it running to use it.

I've added a boxed copy of a game I own to Steam this way.
Clicky to become a Voteable member.

“…so realistic, it'll have you picking shrapnel out of your backside.”