To STEAM or not to steam: BFBC2

For when things break.

Moderator: Executive

sushi
Executive
Executive

To STEAM or not to steam: BFBC2

Post by sushi »

I will buy BFBC2 - but do I purchase it via Amazon or do I buy it online via my steamaccount?

Anybody here who bought a game via steam? Do you get an activation key, should you decide to reinstall from a CD lateron? Do you get language options for installation (I want to install the game in english while sitting in Germany)?

I do have a paypall account so I do not mind purchasing online in general.

Thoughts anybody?
madcow
Executive
Executive

Re: To STEAM or not to steam: BFBC2

Post by madcow »

Games purchased through Steam can only be played while Steam is running; it is a form of DRM. I have no idea about language options, sorry.

I have purchased a fair few games from Steam and overall the service is fine. However, Amazon usually offers games for a lower price than Steam and personally I prefer to have a physical disk and box. So in my opinion, buy it from Steam if it is cheaper otherwise get it from Amazon.
Clicky to become a Voteable member.

“…so realistic, it'll have you picking shrapnel out of your backside.”
matsif
Executive
Executive

Post by matsif »

madcow wrote:Games purchased through Steam can only be played while Steam is running; it is a form of DRM. I have no idea about language options, sorry.

I have purchased a fair few games from Steam and overall the service is fine. However, Amazon usually offers games for a lower price than Steam and personally I prefer to have a physical disk and box. So in my opinion, buy it from Steam if it is cheaper otherwise get it from Amazon.
this pretty much sums it up. steam is ok I guess, but even if it was cheaper on steam (which it probably won't be) I'd still get it thru amazon just to have the disk
woke up this morning, put on my slippers, walked in the kitchen and died
ph1l0r
Executive
Executive

Post by ph1l0r »

steam is so convenient. i can live without juggling a dvd and having some box use up space somewhere. i'm at an age where I don't put the boxes of my games on display anymore haha
just call me phil on ts, ingame, wherever. i'll even respond to phil in real life. wooohooo!
gribble

Post by gribble »

Amazon is cheaper than Steam.

I preordered it through Steam. So far I never had any problems switching Steamgames language to english. The Beta of course is in english.
sushi
Executive
Executive

Post by sushi »

Thanks for your input. Yes, it appears the Amazon DVD version is available for 43,90 EUR (German store) while the Steam-version is at 49,99 EUR atm. I guess I will wait for a few more day and see what the prices are doing. ..... I just hope, that amazon is not changing back to an higher price again.
sushi
Executive
Executive

Post by sushi »

Damn Amazon.de! Price of 43.90 EUR seemed to be great so I wanted to place my order today but #*##%& bastards!!! Since they sell the "uncut version" which is rated 18 in Germany they require a special mail delivery which is 5 EUR. Which brings the price back to the 49 benchmark of the steam offer and the steam version will most likely be ready to play on March 4th will it not?

Now here is my big question: will the "uncut" version be any different from the steam version for Germany??? Anybody heard something about different versions of BC2? Some Dice interviews seem to indicate there will only be one version of the game. Strangly enough there seem to be German shops offering a rated 16 version. :?
sushi
Executive
Executive

Post by sushi »

Any words of wisdom - anybody? Please!
Chefcook

Post by Chefcook »

My Advise: Amazon.co.uk

You will get definatly uncut (but i doubt that there is a cut version of it) and i think its very cheap for german standards.

Edit: The word "Uncut" is just for advertising.
ImageImage
Lets Cook and Roll!
ph1l0r
Executive
Executive

Post by ph1l0r »

nothing beats the convience of steam. just buy it there, have it download and patch the game for you whenever necessary. with all the online logging in and stuff you're screwed already anyways. if it's steam having trouble or ea online servers denying login makes too big difference. what I'm trying to say is. You might have a physical dvd at home but it won't help you much.
just call me phil on ts, ingame, wherever. i'll even respond to phil in real life. wooohooo!
sushi
Executive
Executive

Post by sushi »

so steam will allow me to download a FSK18 game in germany?
ph1l0r
Executive
Executive

Post by ph1l0r »

mh. maybe steam assumes your old enough if you pay by creditcard?

preload for bc2 is working now.