- Intel Core i7-2600K Processor 3.4GHz 8 MB Cache Socket LGA1155
- G.SKILL 8GB (2 x 4GB) Ripjaws X Series DDR3 1600MHz 240-Pin PC3-12800
- ASUS Sabertooth P67

No overclocking (to start with)
Intel stock heatsink/fan (for now)
8 GB total RAM (sorry VK)
Radeon HD5850 video card (single)
Should fit in my current case
My ThermalTake PSU should handle this easily (can't remember specs offhand)
In the link above it doesn't say if the motherboard is the latest revision (rev 3) or not.
Ash2Dust
Executive
Executive

Re: Computer Upgrade Time!

Post by Ash2Dust »

When I use to overclock, I seem to have issues pushing the RAM speed up so I never get more than 10%. But I do by standard memory as overclockable memory seems to be a bit more expensive.

I've struggled with spend extra on all the higher rated items and cpu fan or spend just as much and just get a faster cpu. Plus overclocking can shorten the life on your parts.
Goggles
Executive
Executive

Post by Goggles »

AlbinoKalle69 wrote:Me jealous...wanna have too. Did you get a mobo with a p67 or z68 chip?
P67 chip. I'm not entirely clear on the difference... but I'm guessing the z68 is more expensive :P
.Sup wrote:In the link above it doesn't say if the motherboard is the latest revision (rev 3) or not.
It's REV 3. Check under "Product Details" > "Item Model Number". Are you familiar with ASUS and their revisions? Does REV 3 get me anything special? :)
Ash2Dust wrote:When I use to overclock, I seem to have issues pushing the RAM speed up so I never get more than 10%. But I do by standard memory as overclockable memory seems to be a bit more expensive.

I've struggled with spend extra on all the higher rated items and cpu fan or spend just as much and just get a faster cpu. Plus overclocking can shorten the life on your parts.
Yea, should I attempt an overclock it would be in baby steps. If I manage to get 10% out of it, I'll be happy :) The overheating and product lifetime issues are what have stopped me from attempting overclocking in the past... but it seems to be much more common practice now. First step, of course, is to let it run as "factory default" and make sure the system actually works :)
Hi!
.Sup
Executive
Executive

Post by .Sup »

Not sure what's new in rev 3 but at least you get the latest bios which is always good.
Goggles
Executive
Executive

Post by Goggles »

.Sup wrote:Not sure what's new in rev 3 but at least you get the latest bios which is always good.
http://event.asus.com/2011/mb/Identify_ ... rds/[quote]
On January 31, 2011 Intel® announced the detection of a design error in the new Intel® 6 Series support chipset, also known as Cougar Point. ASUS has updated all motherboards with revised Intel® 6 series B3 chipsets, with every SATA port now certified safe to use and the Cougar Point support chip issue resolved. ASUS offers multiple ways to easily identify revised products. Primarily, check for labels showing “New B3 Revision”. These are clearly displayed on products and packaging.[/quote]
Apparently it's related to a design issue :)
Hi!
Ash2Dust
Executive
Executive

Post by Ash2Dust »

Goggles, heres the link to the keynote presentation with Johan Andersson from Dice. It lays out how they optimize and give depth to the BF3 maps. I found a few points fascinating. Interesting part is the console command to show GPU and CPU spikes. Johan mentions alot CPU renders things.

http://www.geforce.com/News/articles/jo ... an-keynote
Robawillis
Executive
Executive

Post by Robawillis »

All the rev and b3 stuff was due to a huge cock up at intel quality testing relating to the Sata 2 bridge degrading in 3 years.

In terms of P67 and Z68 the difference is P67 allows more overclocking and thats about it Z68 is the same however adds better SDD support and also you can run the graphics on the APU (CPU for those who don't know what an APU is). I see no point in Z68 if you intend on running a graphics card. However I will say sandybridge-e and also ivybridge is due in the next 6 months so you might as well wait. Sandybridge-e is suppose to support 4 channel DDR3 Support and full SLI and Crossfire support rather than only having 16 times PCI-Express support from the old chipset.
.Sup
Executive
Executive

Post by .Sup »

Ivy has been postponed to Q4 2012
Robawillis
Executive
Executive

Post by Robawillis »

Ivybridge is in full production according to UK and Tomshardware. To be released in q4 2011 but to be seen on consumer retail shops Q1-Q2 2012

http://www.tomshardware.co.uk/ivy-bridg ... 36772.html

http://www.reghardware.com/2011/10/21/i ... 2_arrival/