Executive

Re: Computer Upgrade Time!

Post by Ash2Dust »

madcow wrote:
Goggles wrote:
.Sup wrote:i7-2700 :P
This?

What's the benefit? :-)
You're paying $50 for a 100MHz speed increase which is completely pointless. If you want that extra speed just overclock a 2600K very slightly.
I agree as I'm squeezing every bang for the buck I can. But on the other hand it is all cores 100MHz faster and you can overclock it too. Dunno if it has the same overclocking ceiling as the 2600.
AlbinoKalle69

Post by AlbinoKalle69 »

AlbinoKalle69 wrote:But I thought about this mainboard http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.a ... A-Z68P-DS3 which is a bit cheaper.
If you want to overclock your cpu, this mainboard might not be the right one because you cannot change vcore settings.
But if you don't want to overclock at all you can also save another 10$ and buy the i5-2500 instead of the i5-2000k :P
Goggles
Executive
Executive

Post by Goggles »

if I buy local, I'll be going for the i7 2600k it looks like (though the 990X does look quite tempting... I'm not sure $1000 for a processor is ever worth it).

Either way, I guess I'm looking at a socket LGA1155 motherboard. I've never tried overclocking before :-P
Hi!
.Sup
Executive
Executive

Post by .Sup »

I'll be waiting for Ivy bridge which is scheduled for next year. Half the current TDP is important to me.
madcow
Executive
Executive

Post by madcow »

Goggles wrote:if I buy local, I'll be going for the i7 2600k it looks like (though the 990X does look quite tempting... I'm not sure $1000 for a processor is ever worth it).

Either way, I guess I'm looking at a socket LGA1155 motherboard. I've never tried overclocking before :-P
I'd be careful of overclocking on the stock Intel HSF. If you plan to do any serious overclocking I'd highly recommend getting a good aftermarket HSF.
Clicky to become a Voteable member.

“…so realistic, it'll have you picking shrapnel out of your backside.”
.Sup
Executive
Executive

Post by .Sup »

madcow wrote:
Goggles wrote:
.Sup wrote:i7-2700 :P
This?

What's the benefit? :-)
You're paying $50 for a 100MHz speed increase which is completely pointless. If you want that extra speed just overclock a 2600K very slightly.
According to Fudzilla 2700k tray will only be 15$ more over 2600k and if an ordinary 2700 (non k) is released then you should expect even lower price.
http://www.fudzilla.com/processors/item ... e-i7-2700k
Goggles
Executive
Executive

Post by Goggles »

a good heatsink and fan is probably something I want, anyway :-P

So how about these two?

- Intel Core i7-2600K Processor 3.4GHz 8 MB Cache Socket LGA1155
- G.SKILL 8GB (2 x 4GB) Ripjaws X Series DDR3 1600MHz 240-Pin PC3-12800
Hi!
.Sup
Executive
Executive

Post by .Sup »

AlbinoKalle69 wrote:
AlbinoKalle69 wrote:But I thought about this mainboard http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.a ... A-Z68P-DS3 which is a bit cheaper.
If you want to overclock your cpu, this mainboard might not be the right one because you cannot change vcore settings.
But if you don't want to overclock at all you can also save another 10$ and buy the i5-2500 instead of the i5-2000k :P
I find it hard to believe it doesn't have the ability to change vcore. Where did you get this info?
Goggles
Executive
Executive

Post by Goggles »

I'm going to be broke by the time I finish, haha :P

How does this look for a suitable motherboard to toss it on: ASUS SABERTOOTH P67 LGA 1155 SATA 6Gbps and USB 3.0 Supported Intel P67 DDR3 1800 ATX Motherboard

http://www.amazon.com/SABERTOOTH-P67-RE ... 809&sr=1-1
Hi!
.Sup
Executive
Executive

Post by .Sup »

You don't need onboard graphics? In case your primary dies or you want to use your PC as HTPC in 4 years?
Personally I would get this if I were buying now: http://www.hoh.de/hardware/mainboards/i ... 3-sata-iii
Goggles
Executive
Executive

Post by Goggles »

.Sup wrote:You don't need onboard graphics? In case your primary dies or you want to use your PC as HTPC in 4 years?
Personally I would get this if I were buying now: http://www.hoh.de/hardware/mainboards/i ... 3-sata-iii
I don't need on-board graphics :-) I have a spare video card I can always put in if my current one breaks, plus a lot of resources through my work in case I need them.

I like the idea that I may get USB3 support!
Hi!
Goggles
Executive
Executive

Post by Goggles »

Those links don't work for me, Ferrit - d'oh!

I already have a video card, so I won't be looking to upgrade in that dept. (and if I do, it'd be through Crossfire I suppose).
Hi!
Ferrit

Post by Ferrit »

Goggles wrote:Those links don't work for me, Ferrit - d'oh!

I already have a video card, so I won't be looking to upgrade in that dept. (and if I do, it'd be through Crossfire I suppose).
:cry:

just do a search @ your supplier of choice for..

Coolermaster Elite 430 Black Mid Tower Computer Case Front/Rear 120mm fans and Side Window

AMD CPU Phenom II 1090T Black Edition Six Core Processor

Gigabyte GA-990XA-UD3 AMD 990X AM3+ Motherboard

Corsair Memory Vengeance Black 8GB DDR3 1600 MHz CAS 9 XMP Dual Channel Desktop

Sandisk Ultra 60GB SSD - Solid State Drive

Samsung 1Tb Spinpoint F3 Hard Drive - HDD

Corsair Enthusiast TX V2 CMPSU-750TXV2UK 750W Power Supply (PSU)

LG GH24NS70 24x DVD Writer

Coolermaster Hyper 212 Plus CPU Cooler for All Intel/AMD CPU's

As you were lookimg at the i series cpu's you'd need a diff mobo to that.

But if you are set on an i series the 2500k is pretty damn good the i 7's only outperform it when it comes to graphical design, the i 5 is just as good for gaming.

-edit-

ps.
Sorry for collapsing a building on your head lastnight :p
Goggles
Executive
Executive

Post by Goggles »

Ferrit wrote:ps.
Sorry for collapsing a building on your head lastnight :p
Haha, I thought it was hilarious! You took out a few of us... and you were on our team! :-) This is yet another reason I am enjoying BF3 :-D
Hi!