Nvidia GTX460 driver fail

For when things break.

Moderator: Executive

Ferrit

Re: Nvidia GTX460 driver fail

Post by Ferrit »

Stonie wrote:
Ferrit wrote:http://uk.geforce.com/drivers/results/38978

had to with the english version could not find it in dutch.
I have a the same screen when I tried to install this.

Would a full reinstall of my OS will work?? And if so, how does one do it?
Maybe a full un-install of your gfx drivers would work?

I mean reboot and go into safe mode and use a registry cleaner and get rid of EVERYTHING.

Windows will automatically give your gfx card a default driver so everything will look like crap till you have purged it all off and re-installed.

-edit-
Or just try an un-install via control panel - add/remove programs - your driver.

will need a restart.

then give the new driver ago.
Last edited by Ferrit on Tue Nov 01, 2011 10:03 am, edited 1 time in total.
Goggles
Executive
Executive

Post by Goggles »

Ferrit wrote:
Stonie wrote:
Ferrit wrote:http://uk.geforce.com/drivers/results/38978

had to with the english version could not find it in dutch.
I have a the same screen when I tried to install this.

Would a full reinstall of my OS will work?? And if so, how does one do it?
Maybe a full un-install of your gfx drivers would work?

I mean reboot and go into safe mode and use a registry cleaner and get rid of EVERYTHING.

Windows will automatically give your gfx card a default driver so everything will look like crap till you have purged it all off and re-installed.
Make sure you download the installer of the new driver before you uninstall the old one, just in case :-)
Hi!
Ash2Dust
Executive
Executive

Post by Ash2Dust »

I would wonder if Win 7 wasnt completely up to date with the latest service pack.

Youre installing the Nvidia 64 bit correct?

Can you manually run windows update and make sure that it says its up to date?

Also try a custom install of the Nvidia drivers and install the bare minimum.

You have full administrator access?
Ferrit

Post by Ferrit »

Any update Stonie?
We would like to shoot you team up with you on the battlefield.
Ash2Dust
Executive
Executive

Post by Ash2Dust »

I would probably attempt a custom install.
Tell it to unpack in a slightly different directory (add a 2 or something to the folder).
Uncheck everything except the video driver.
Check the clean install box.

Hopefully its that simple as removing Nvidia is not a simple process anymore like the old days. If that works, try doing the other parts of the install one at a time.
Stonie
Executive
Executive

Post by Stonie »

Unfortunally no progress yet.

I already did remove the old drivers, and went to the whole process of fixing the crappy settings.

But I dont know why the driver wont install.
As soon as click the program runs for about 3 minutes. Giving me hope something is happening, then just reports failure of installation.

I dont even have a decent driver to support my addiction of EVE.

I am not amused.
I wanna blow something up.
.Sup
Executive
Executive

Post by .Sup »

Try this: http://www.nvidia.com/Download/PreScan.aspx
It automatically determines what driver you require
Ash2Dust
Executive
Executive

Post by Ash2Dust »

If Windows installer is jammed up on something, then you wont be able to install any msi or windows updates. Is your windows up to date? Nvidia may be depending on you having the latest update. ATI did that with the .net framework.

If you've had a bad virus infection in the past, registries can be 'locked' and Nvidia may not be able to replace them as needed.

If you are not using the Primary administrator account with full administrative priveledges, installing drivers can get funky.

Not a fun position to be in. Sometimes its better to backup and double check the back up. Format and clean install windows. Either from DVD or a partition on the hard drive (most major manufacturers).
Winter_Lion

Post by Winter_Lion »

Ash2Dust wrote:If Windows installer is jammed up on something, then you wont be able to install any msi or windows updates. Is your windows up to date? Nvidia may be depending on you having the latest update. ATI did that with the .net framework.

If you've had a bad virus infection in the past, registries can be 'locked' and Nvidia may not be able to replace them as needed.

If you are not using the Primary administrator account with full administrative priveledges, installing drivers can get funky.

Not a fun position to be in. Sometimes its better to backup and double check the back up. Format and clean install windows. Either from DVD or a partition on the hard drive (most major manufacturers).
I second that! I installed win 7 from scratch. Then tried installing the same driver version. Nvidea driver help tool could not find my video card once online and again with an install pkg. Offline. I had to disable the vid card and reboot twice. Then the drivers finally took. I have an old GT 8600 oc with 512mb of vid ram. It actually works better in bf3 than it did in bf2.......wonders never cease. My settings are nothing to brag about, but very playable. Bf3 is the easiest bf I have ever installed......all the way back to the 42 beta map. At 11 gigs, it's also the biggest by far.

I don 't like having to scout maps and try to score some upgrades on solely Pub sites. Very frustrating having to deal with all the self proclaimed war heroes who don't support each other and will not be part of any plan. They score more by accident than anything. Ugly system on pubs.I hope I have the patience, 64 players on crack is very unsettling.

Winter
ImageImage
Stonie
Executive
Executive

Post by Stonie »

Full reinstall of windows: check
Installed latest driver: check
Reinstalled: EVE check
Installed BF3 check
Find firends in orgin: WTF??

Add me: StonieBandit
Ash2Dust
Executive
Executive

Post by Ash2Dust »

No Origin friends. Its all battlelog friends.