BF3 freezes starting or loading screen

For when things break.

Moderator: Executive

Ash2Dust
Executive
Executive

BF3 freezes starting or loading screen

Post by Ash2Dust »

Most of us are familiar with the freezes and Task Manager joy of loading a map in BF3. I noticed on a couple lockups it look like the screen was trying to do 3D

I have a Nvidia card and it installs the Nvidia 3D drivers which I dont use so I removed both.

and left the other 3 Nvidia software:
Nvidia Graphics Driver 285.62
Nvidia HD Audio Driver (which I dont use)
Nvidia PhysX

Havent had a lockup in a couple hours, but may be coincidence.
Ash2Dust
Executive
Executive

Re: BF3 freezes starting or loading screen

Post by Ash2Dust »

Spoke too soon happened again.
Shrapnel
Supporting Member
Supporting Member

Post by Shrapnel »

I was having a similar problem. BF3 would hard lock after 30-45 minutes of play. Only option was to hard boot the system.

The fix:
Manually update PB
Turn off Origin In-game notifications

Haven't had a lock up since and it has been two days.
[sig]Broken due to link being older than I am (in internet years at least) and laziness[/sig]
Ash2Dust
Executive
Executive

Post by Ash2Dust »

Yah, I tried all of that. I could Ctrl-Alt-Del and start the Task manager then end BF3 if it didnt already die itself at that point.

Yesterday I updated my Nvidia drivers to the newer beta and Origin's forced update. Only had 1 lockup over way too many hours of playing. But I only played on the new GC server too.
LandRover

Post by LandRover »

I've had these same freezes since the beta and had to partner with Task Manager during the single player campaign and on-line play. My computer is a new high-end Alienware with a dedicated game partition with nothing installed but BF3 and the necessary tools to play the game. As a 30 year computer technician veteran I know how to keep everything I need up to date and upgraded to the very latest, but to no avail. It is most disheartening after waiting to join a low ping server to finally get a free slot which will invariably end up in a freeze if it is a first instance of connection to that server.

But, it gets worst, I've uncovered a conspiracy :twisted: which makes sure that average players like me never get to the high ranks we so much aspire to: During play, the freezes only happen when my scores are great. :roll: When I think that I've finally mastered that thing and done all the right moves and I am a shining beacon for my squad it happens and I lose everything. Can't even get back with my squad. However, It never fails to award me with any losing streaks, which are many I must admit :oops: . I can stay with a losing side for hours being crushed to the bone and not lose one single death count. :lol:

I can only laugh about my poor luck and hope EA will give me a break in a near future before I die of old age, I'm 62 you see! :wink: