BF3 and Saitek X52 Pro Throttle fix

For when things break.

Moderator: Executive

Zaitsev Jr.

BF3 and Saitek X52 Pro Throttle fix

Post by Zaitsev Jr. »

Jets in BF3 travel in 3 modes: Runway, Cruise and Afterburner Flight Mode.

When the jet has reached take-off velocity and the landing gear retracts, it automatically switches to Cruise Mode, achieving an average speed of 340 ... knots, miles per hour ... peas ... whatever. With Afterburner it will accelerate even more, when Afterburners are disabled it will return to Cruise, no matter what setting the throttle on the joystick is set.
However, maximum maneuverability is achieved around 240 ... knot, miles per hour.. whatever you want to call it.
To decelerate, an active input to "brake" is needed, and needs to be "pulsed" to retain speeds between Cruise and landing Modes. (Thanks to Ash2Dust for the intel on this one.)

Problem: When flying jets with the joystick, the throttle controls do not allow the jet to slow down.

Fix (temp, hope Dice will fix this in the next patch)
  • Run BF3 in Campaign Mode, under Options/Key Bindings clear all Joystick inputs (On Foot/Heli/Jets/Land Vehicles)
  • Close the game.
  • Install AS ADMINISTRATOR the latest Drivers and SST Software found here http://www.saitek.com/uk/down/drivers.php
  • Run Profiler (If not automatically active, it can be found in the Start Menu-All Programs-"Smart Technologies").
  • Run the Profile Editor and create a new blank profile and save it as "BF3" (that's what i called it ... feel free to pick your own file name ... but for this Tut i will refer to it as BF3)
  • In Profile Editor, select the Throttle section and change it from "Unprogrammed" to "Bands".
  • Save the profile, the load it via Profiler into the Joystick. MFD should say BF3.
  • Run Battlefield 3 in Campaign Mode, under Options/Key Bindings - Jets, assign joystick to throttle, roll, pitch and yaw.
  • Now connect to a Multiplayer Server, preferably only populated with 1 or 2 players to test your controls.
    Note: If any of these controls work backwards, simply reassign them again while in-game, the axis displayed in the menu will remain the same, but the output will be reversed.
  • Close the game.
  • Run the Profile Editor and open the profile BF3 for editing.
  • Assign the Keystroke "S" to the 65-100% band.
  • Assign the Keystroke "LShift" to the 0-35% band.
  • Now select "Edit Bands" and adjust the top and bottom band to 0-10% and 90-100% respectively.
  • Save the profile, then re-load it via Profiler into the Joystick.
  • Start the game and test your settings.
Now, when the throttle is pulled all the way back, the jet will actually slow down, and if it is pushed all the forward, the afterburners will kick in. At least that's what the expected outcome is, it worked for me :)

Don't hesitate to ask if you have any questions.

Cheers ...
I am only responsible for what i write,
not what you understand.
C9:ImageC10:ImageC13:Image