Question about ASUS Motherboard Unbox

For when things break.

Moderator: Executive

XrunawayX
Supporting Member
Supporting Member

Question about ASUS Motherboard Unbox

Post by XrunawayX »

I'm in the process of building a new system. I'm a first time builder, so maybe this is a stupid question, but.....

Today my ASUS P8Z68-V PRO/GEN3 motherboard arrived from Newegg. The motherboard box was NOT sealed (shrink wrap or taped closed), and the anti-static bag was simply folded over on one end and NOT sealed in any way (sticker, etc.). ALl other items seem to be there, just wasn't "sealed."

My question is, did I get an "open box" item, or is this how they are shipped normally? Don't want to pay full price for an open box item, but also don't want to send it back to Newegg like a dumbass if this is just how they come.

Thanks!
Shrapnel
Supporting Member
Supporting Member

Re: Question about ASUS Motherboard Unbox

Post by Shrapnel »

I can't remember tape ever being on the anti-static bag. The box is usually taped though.

Was there a protective cover on the CPU slot and/or RAM slots?
[sig]Broken due to link being older than I am (in internet years at least) and laziness[/sig]
madcow
Executive
Executive

Post by madcow »

I've unboxed so many motherboards but I honestly can't remember if they all had tape on the anti-static bags - I know some have but I'm pretty certain I had some which didn't. I don't think the boxes are usually shrink-wrapped either.
Clicky to become a Voteable member.

“…so realistic, it'll have you picking shrapnel out of your backside.”
XrunawayX
Supporting Member
Supporting Member

Post by XrunawayX »

CPU protective cover is in place, nothing in the RAM slots. Doesn't show any other signs of use, ie markings around the screw holes indicating that it has ever been installed in a case.

I've been doing some extensive Googling on the topic and found mixed answers. Seems like it is not uncommon for boards to come with an unsealed box with folded over anti-static bag, although others have said that theirs came sealed.

Guess I'm going to roll with it. I can always send it back to Newegg if it gives me problems.
Ash2Dust
Executive
Executive

Post by Ash2Dust »

I think its fine. They usually arrive like that for me except some companies will use an ESD sticker (to remind you to ground yourself) to seal the bag. Never had a sealed box unless it was 10 years ago and I forgot.

You already looked at the mounting holes for sign of screw pressure. I had one that came like that once, but that was my last and only "new" Ebay MB. It worked and I got the scammer to cut the price in half.

Another thing to look at is the manual flat and closed. Also they bag that the motherboard came in. Do all the bumps in the bag roughly line up with the terrain of the motherboard.
If you havent handled the motherboard. You can hot breath it for fingerprints as they wear gloves in the factory.