Ram Upgrade

For when things break.

Moderator: Executive

Calloutman
Executive
Executive

Ram Upgrade

Post by Calloutman »

So these are the specs for my laptop, I believe I can upgrade to 8gigs of ram. Would that make any difference to my fps/gameplay? I currently have all the bf3 graphical settings on minimum settings and a lowered resolution, and get a reasonably consistent 35-40 fps.

Laptop,
Core i5 450M 2.4GHz
4GB DDR3
500GB HDD
ATI Mobility Radeon HD5650 1GB
BF3 || C2 Lead Operative || C3 Brigadier General || C4 Major General || C5 Private First Class || C6 General
BF4 || C1 TA || C2 TA || C3 TA || C4 Serviceman || C5 Duke
haruky
Supporting Member
Supporting Member

Re: Ram Upgrade

Post by haruky »

calloutman wrote:So these are the specs for my laptop, I believe I can upgrade to 8gigs of ram. Would that make any difference to my fps/gameplay? I currently have all the bf3 graphical settings on minimum settings and a lowered resolution, and get a reasonably consistent 35-40 fps.

Laptop,
Core i5 450M 2.4GHz
4GB DDR3
500GB HDD
ATI Mobility Radeon HD5650 1GB
It definitely helped me out. Even when I played on low I'd have to occasionally restart my computer because my BF3 would start stuttering again. I guess I just had to refresh my memory occasionally.

I recently added 16 gigs and I have no issues whatsoever now. No need to restart and I can play on ultra without stuttering issues.

I've noticed that when I have 10-15 tabs open, along with various other programs on top of Bf3, I get about 7 gigs of RAM usage.
Image[/url]
Ash2Dust
Executive
Executive

Post by Ash2Dust »

For that laptop I'd guess more RAM wouldnt do much for you unless you're fighting Battlelog and BF3 memory leaks pushing you past your 4 gigs. BF3 and Punkbuster are not going to get any smaller in their RAM footprint in the future.

I found I didnt have to reboot my computer when I had 4 gigs, just logging off and logging back on into Windows cleared the RAM and saved time instead of a full reboot.
MotherFo™

Post by MotherFo™ »

It would be a good investment, but CPU and GPU are the key factors. I'd make sure you've got your power options setup correctly to maximize performance, but 2.4ghz is going to hold you back a bit. :)

I would go 8 regardless.
Calloutman
Executive
Executive

Post by Calloutman »

Everything software is maximised for performance, I think the only thing I can improve is my hardware. Is there some way to test if 4gb is enough?
BF3 || C2 Lead Operative || C3 Brigadier General || C4 Major General || C5 Private First Class || C6 General
matsif
Executive
Executive

Post by matsif »

given on a laptop RAM is about the only thing you can upgrade, it can't hurt to get 8. assuming you're using windows its probably eating about a gig for itself.
woke up this morning, put on my slippers, walked in the kitchen and died
Chemical2
Supporting Member
Supporting Member

Post by Chemical2 »

I think 8 is the way to go its probably not that expansive. if you get 4 i would feel like your getting limited in using your pc like you should. with 8 ur just safe from the risk to override the limit.
''Be polite, be efficient. Have a plan to kill everyone you meet.'' The sniper
BF3
C2: Staff Sergeant - Hitcorp
C3: 1st Lieutenant - Dark army
C4: 1st Lieutenant - Starfishers coffee initiative
C5: PFC - Legion of Doom
Calloutman
Executive
Executive

Post by Calloutman »

Okay I'm going to upgrade. Purchased.
Calloutman
Executive
Executive

Post by Calloutman »

8GB's installed, difference made to fps: None at all :(

Well I guess it can't hurt.
haruky
Supporting Member
Supporting Member

Post by haruky »

calloutman wrote:8GB's installed, difference made to fps: None at all :(

My FPS remained the same. But adding RAM did was to decrease stuttering and the constant need to restart my computer to refresh my memory. The difference that the extra RAM made was pretty substantial for me. (now I can play with 20 Chrome and 10 IE tabs open!!)
Image[/url]
Calloutman
Executive
Executive

Post by Calloutman »

haruky8 wrote:

My FPS remained the same. But adding RAM did was to decrease stuttering and the constant need to restart my computer to refresh my memory. The difference that the extra RAM made was pretty substantial for me. (now I can play with 20 Chrome and 10 IE tabs open!!)
Oh, well that'll be nice not having to close the browser every time :)
MotherFo™

Post by MotherFo™ »

Told ya so. :) You'll enjoy the 8 tho.
matsif
Executive
Executive

Post by matsif »

it shouldn't make an FPS difference, you aren't processing data any faster or more of it. that is up to the GPU and processor.

it is going to increase your overall PC's performance and allow you to run the browser and stuff while in the game with less hang ups.
woke up this morning, put on my slippers, walked in the kitchen and died
fittyman

Post by fittyman »

Like, less "Windows has noticed a decrease in performance so we turned off aero, kay? kay."