Battlefield freezing and the solution

For when things break.

Moderator: Executive

VektorMKD

Battlefield freezing and the solution

Post by VektorMKD »

Dear all,

Ever since I reinstalled my Windows about a week ago, whenever I would run BF3 the game would freeze around 10minutes in game and the only thing I could do was a force shut down (Holding the power button).

After A LOT of research and testing I found out that disabling Origin In Game was the solution.
If/when anyone else is having this problem just go to Origin>Settings>In Game> Untick the box saying 'Enable Origin In Game'.

Hope this helps someone,
Vektor
KoffeinFlummi
Supporting Member
Supporting Member

Re: Battlefield freezing and the solution

Post by KoffeinFlummi »

This also helped me to get rid of my mouse input lag. I seems Origin sucks even more than i thought. :(
Chemical2
Supporting Member
Supporting Member

Post by Chemical2 »

Also solves problems for the TS overlay :)
''Be polite, be efficient. Have a plan to kill everyone you meet.'' The sniper
BF3
C2: Staff Sergeant - Hitcorp
C3: 1st Lieutenant - Dark army
C4: 1st Lieutenant - Starfishers coffee initiative
C5: PFC - Legion of Doom
Juffalo
Supporting Member
Supporting Member

Post by Juffalo »

another reason to despise origin. yay.
fittyman

Post by fittyman »

Can we get a reliable fix for the stuck on loading black screen? Alt + Tab works... sort of, not really.

I swear if I did not enjoy this game so much, sometimes, I would have quit playing it. Err, probably not :(
.Sup
Executive
Executive

Post by .Sup »

Why do we need Origin to run during the game anyway? Is Origin saving game progress and statistics or does battlelog do it?
fittyman

Post by fittyman »

.Sup wrote:Why do we need Origin to run during the game anyway? Is Origin saving game progress and statistics or does battlelog do it?
Cloud functionality plus EA can track when you're playing online and offline through Origin.
.Sup
Executive
Executive

Post by .Sup »

Well I have disabled it, the less programs being run during the game, the better. All my settings are already saved in the cloud anyway, if I need to restore I will enable it again.
VektorMKD

Post by VektorMKD »

Hi guys,

just an update - the issue reappeared...
If anyone has any ideas on how to solve it please PM me..
Hitman47
Supporting Member
Supporting Member

Post by Hitman47 »

could it be your processor is getting overheated?
BF2: C5 - Corporal | C6 - Corporal | C7 - Feldwebel (Sergeant) | C8 - Neutral Peace Keeper | C9 - Captain | C10 - Grand Moff (HC) | C11 - Macaca (Staff Sergeant) | C12 - Major | C13 - Corporal
BF3: C1 - Colonel | C2 - General | C3 - Neutral | C4 - Brigadier | C5 - Private | C6 - Brigadier General
BF4: C1 - Tournament Admin | C2 - General
fawadforlan

Post by fawadforlan »

Hitman47 wrote:could it be your processor is getting overheated?
You're right he should check his gpu and cpu temp when idle and when going ingame.
Battlefield 3
Campaign 2 - Staff Sergeant
Campaign 3 - Captain
Campaign 4 - Private
haruky
Supporting Member
Supporting Member

Post by haruky »

Going off of what the other guys have said, try stress testing your CPU and GPU. I know that you can stress test your GPU using FurMark and you can stress test your CPU using Prime95.

These software will make your hardware go to 100% usage. If your computer freezes and dies, then hardware might be the issue. (CAUTION. IT MIGHT BLOW YOUR COMPUTER UP. Please don't hold me responsible. :mrgreen: )
Image[/url]
fawadforlan

Post by fawadforlan »

haruky8 wrote:CAUTION. IT MIGHT BLOW YOUR COMPUTER UP. Please don't hold me responsible. :mrgreen: )
:lol:

I also had a problem a few months ago, every time I started a game I heard a weird noise and the game (crysis 2) shutted itself down. When I checked my cpu and gpu temp I saw that my cpu was getting 90 degrees (Celsius)! And the weird noise was something like a alarm for when my processor gets too hot.

The problem was that there was a little bit air between my cpu and the heatsink. So I just replaced my heatsink and added some new coolpaste and the temp was back to 45 degrees. Till now everything works fine.
Battlefield 3
Campaign 2 - Staff Sergeant
Campaign 3 - Captain
Campaign 4 - Private
fittyman

Post by fittyman »

For using Prime95, use Blend test. It will more accurately show what the computer will do when brought to 100% CPU usage. Furmark I am not a fan of because it is not real world applicable. No game stresses a GPU like Furmark. To more accurately use Furmark, run it for 10-20 minutes and note GPU temps. If over 80 degrees Celsius, might look at fixing that. I, personally, don't like my vid cards going above 80, but most of them are rated to safely operate in the 90s all the way to 100 degrees Celsius.

Back on the subject of Prime95, run the blend test for 30 minutes. If at the end of 30 minutes it reports no errors, run it again for 2 hours. If no errors again, and you are okay with the CPU temps, it is not your CPU that is causing problems nor is it your ram. Blend test stresses both CPU and RAM.

For temp monitoring I would use Core temp (http://www.alcpu.com/CoreTemp/), HWmonitor (http://www.cpuid.com/softwares/hwmonitor.html)/ HWinfo64 (http://www.hwinfo.com/ (32 bit and 64 bit versions)). Ideally, use two of these, or all of these, as one might not give you accurate results. For monitoring GPU temps and usage, I'd suggest MSI afterburner from Guru3d.com (http://downloads.guru3d.com/Videocards- ... g_c13.html), it will list GPU usage, GPU temps, GPU mem usage, the usual. Not to mention the free overclocking ability that comes with it :p
VektorMKD

Post by VektorMKD »

Hey guys,

First of all, thanks for all the inputs (except the one that includes my PC blowing up :mrgreen: )!
I have found the problem - whenever I run BF3 with my sound disabled through the Device Manager I have no problems. I tried using the old drivers, but the issue persists so I guess the problem is in one of the recent updates of the game...

This being said, I have no high hopes of EA/DICE fixing this any time soon - so what can I do to join the next battleday without a working sound card?! :?:

So far the only thing I could come up with is using TS on my girlfriend's netbook and not being a driver (can't hear the missile alert).
Any other ideas?

Cheers,
V