Recommended Software/Hardware for recording gameplay.

For when things break.

Moderator: Executive

fawadforlan

Re: Recommended Software/Hardware for recording gameplay.

Post by fawadforlan »

I dont know much about twixtor, but it's a great tool for slow motion video even if you have low fps.

Demonstration here: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=--ZwS0bihHQ
The guy says he recorded in 60fps, twixtor made it 2000fps so that he could make an awesome looking slow motion video. If he had used some other software to slow the 60fps video, than it would never look so good.

and while writing this message i just realized that i have no practicum (school project) tomorrow, finally some battlefield!!:D
Battlefield 3
Campaign 2 - Staff Sergeant
Campaign 3 - Captain
Campaign 4 - Private
haruky
Supporting Member
Supporting Member

Post by haruky »

Thanks for the tremendous amount of help guys!

So from what I've learned so far.. it doesn't seem like I'll need a top of the line HDD to fulfill my needs.
i'll be taking a pretty good look at the HDD you linked, fittyman. Thanks!

I'm also quite interested in Twixtor. But it's incredibly expensive...
Image[/url]
fawadforlan

Post by fawadforlan »

haruky8 wrote: I'm also quite interested in Twixtor. But it's incredibly expensive...
I searched for some information about Twixtor and I foudn that it's software that you use with other editing software. So it's like an extension for video editing sofware.

I suggest to get Adobe After Effects or Adobe Premiere Pro.

The difference is this: While After Effects can edit video footage in much the same way as Premiere, it is designed specifically to work with video layering, compositing, effects and animation. Of course Premiere can also do these things but After Effects has a slightly different workflow that makes them easier. After Effects also tends to have better quality effects, etc.

In a nutshell:
•After Effects is better at working with shorter timelines and high-demand effects.
•Premiere Pro is better at working with general editing projects, especially long or complex edits

And adobe software is dmn expensive, so just download it. :) When you have one of them then download Twixtor version for it.

Of course you can also work with Sony Vegas Pro, some people say adobe is better others say sony vegas is better.
Battlefield 3
Campaign 3 - Captain
Campaign 4 - Private
haruky
Supporting Member
Supporting Member

Post by haruky »

fawadforlan wrote:
haruky8 wrote: I'm also quite interested in Twixtor. But it's incredibly expensive...
I searched for some information about Twixtor and I foudn that it's software that you use with other editing software. So it's like an extension for video editing sofware.

I suggest to get Adobe After Effects or Adobe Premiere Pro.

The difference is this: While After Effects can edit video footage in much the same way as Premiere, it is designed specifically to work with video layering, compositing, effects and animation. Of course Premiere can also do these things but After Effects has a slightly different workflow that makes them easier. After Effects also tends to have better quality effects, etc.

In a nutshell:
•After Effects is better at working with shorter timelines and high-demand effects.
•Premiere Pro is better at working with general editing projects, especially long or complex edits

And adobe software is dmn expensive, so just download it. :) When you have one of them then download Twixtor version for it.

Of course you can also work with Sony Vegas Pro, some people say adobe is better others say sony vegas is better.
haha. I really appreciate the suggestion but I'm afraid my conscience won't allow me to pirate the software. k:oops:
I know of someone who works with Adobe so I get many of my programs from them at a heavily discounted price. :mrgreen:

As for Twixtor, I'll have to find a way to work with After Effects or Premier to achieve that type of slow motion. It won't be nearly as good but I might as well give it a shot.
Image[/url]
fittyman

Post by fittyman »

haruky8 wrote:Thanks for the tremendous amount of help guys!

So from what I've learned so far.. it doesn't seem like I'll need a top of the line HDD to fulfill my needs.
i'll be taking a pretty good look at the HDD you linked, fittyman. Thanks!

I'm also quite interested in Twixtor. But it's incredibly expensive...
Just remember that it is a Refurbed HDD. Only get that one if you need the space. Otherwise, 1TB HDDs can be had at the same place for cheaper.
BLYFACTOR

Post by BLYFACTOR »

fittyman wrote:I'd definitely listen to LoA. He has some amazing videos to his name.
no he doesn't :( He makes them all private or unlisted so Us Kinetic Influence can't watch. well I at least only see 14 videos on his channel.
GC Battledays (7)
Check out my youtube channel http://www.youtube.com/user/BLYFACTOR?feature=mhee
Epic 64 man Fun Stuff Sign Up hereviewtopic.php?f=2&t=17693&p=189318#p189318
fawadforlan

Post by fawadforlan »

fittyman wrote: Just remember that it is a Refurbed HDD. Only get that one if you need the space. Otherwise, 1TB HDDs can be had at the same place for cheaper.
Yeh fittyman is right, it's better to get 2 1TB HDD's. One of the fastest 7200rpm HDD is the Samsung Spinpoint F3 1TB. As far as I know they are aroung 70-80 dollar each.
some info: http://www.bit-tech.net/hardware/storag ... b-review/1
Battlefield 3
Campaign 3 - Captain
Campaign 4 - Private
haruky
Supporting Member
Supporting Member

Post by haruky »

fawadforlan wrote:
fittyman wrote: Just remember that it is a Refurbed HDD. Only get that one if you need the space. Otherwise, 1TB HDDs can be had at the same place for cheaper.
Yeh fittyman is right, it's better to get 2 1TB HDD's. One of the fastest 7200rpm HDD is the Samsung Spinpoint F3 1TB. As far as I know they are aroung 70-80 dollar each.
Seems that they go for around $100. I think going for a single 2 TB might be a bit more simpler. :mrgreen:

By the way... if I were to get a capture card, would it still be critical to get a second hard drive? Or could I play my game and record all on one hard drive by using the capture card?

Also - Any thoughts on this drive in particular?
http://www.amazon.com/Western-Digital-C ... 130&sr=8-1
Image[/url]
fawadforlan

Post by fawadforlan »

haruky8 wrote: Also - Any thoughts on this drive in particular?
That's the one I recommended a few posts back :lol:
If you want a good 2TB 7200rpm HDD, get a Western Digital Caviar Black 2TB.

Gold awarded from a dutch hardware website, and some specs:
http://nl.hardware.info/productinfo/777 ... cificaties
I think it's the best 2TB 7200rpm HDD.
Battlefield 3
Campaign 3 - Captain
Campaign 4 - Private
haruky
Supporting Member
Supporting Member

Post by haruky »

fawadforlan wrote:
haruky8 wrote: Also - Any thoughts on this drive in particular?
That's the one I recommended a few posts back :lol:
If you want a good 2TB 7200rpm HDD, get a Western Digital Caviar Black 2TB.

Gold awarded from a dutch hardware website, and some specs:
http://nl.hardware.info/productinfo/777 ... cificaties
I think it's the best 2TB 7200rpm HDD.
Woops. I must've forgot. :oops:
It's a bit pricey but I'm going to be on the look out for one on eBay or something.

Also, I still would appreciate an answer for the question regarding capture cards! :mrgreen:
Image[/url]
Fields
Supporting Member
Supporting Member

Post by Fields »

haruky8 wrote:
fawadforlan wrote:
Seems that they go for around $100. I think going for a single 2 TB might be a bit more simpler. :mrgreen:

By the way... if I were to get a capture card, would it still be critical to get a second hard drive? Or could I play my game and record all on one hard drive by using the capture card?

Also - Any thoughts on this drive in particular?
The capture card takes the processing load off your cpu, but the HDD is still needed to hold the video as it's captured. You'll still need a decent high capacity HDD with a capture card. :mrgreen:
haruky
Supporting Member
Supporting Member

Post by haruky »

Fields wrote: The capture card takes the processing load off your cpu, but the HDD is still needed to hold the video as it's captured. You'll still need a decent high capacity HDD with a capture card. :mrgreen:
Ah. I understand that I need a high capacity HDD. But what I was wondering is if I need to get one that has really good specs like 64MB cache and 7200 RPM.

Btw, I've been on the hunt for some decent drives, any thoughts on this?

http://www.amazon.com/Seagate-ST2000DM0 ... 199&sr=8-2
Image[/url]
Fields
Supporting Member
Supporting Member

Post by Fields »

haruky8 wrote:
Fields wrote: The capture card takes the processing load off your cpu, but the HDD is still needed to hold the video as it's captured. You'll still need a decent high capacity HDD with a capture card. :mrgreen:
Ah. I understand that I need a high capacity HDD. But what I was wondering is if I need to get one that has really good specs like 64MB cache and 7200 RPM.

Btw, I've been on the hunt for some decent drives, any thoughts on this?

http://www.amazon.com/Seagate-ST2000DM0 ... 199&sr=8-2
You'll probably be more then fine with a high capacity 7200 rpm HDD for recording 30-40 fps at 720p or 1080p. I'm not 100% positive on how much data bandwidth you'll need for anything higher, but there's always tweaking you can do. If you want to do 60fps but your AMD cpu can't do it, then is when we look at capture cards :)

That HDD looks really good, though. Most of the reviews are positive and the low rated ones are almost all exceptions where they were DOA or whatever (Which isn't actually reviewing the product, just the service). It has the cache size you want and 2tb for $120 is a good deal right now. I can't find any 2tb drives cheaper with the same cache size.
fittyman

Post by fittyman »

The CPU is fine for 60fps in BF3. BF3 is more GPU dependent once you get up to Quad core levels, and BF3 loves Nvidia cards. He has both the CPU power and GPU power that BF3 loves.
haruky
Supporting Member
Supporting Member

Post by haruky »

Fields wrote: You'll probably be more then fine with a high capacity 7200 rpm HDD for recording 30-40 fps at 720p or 1080p. I'm not 100% positive on how much data bandwidth you'll need for anything higher, but there's always tweaking you can do. If you want to do 60fps but your AMD cpu can't do it, then is when we look at capture cards :)

That HDD looks really good, though. Most of the reviews are positive and the low rated ones are almost all exceptions where they were DOA or whatever (Which isn't actually reviewing the product, just the service). It has the cache size you want and 2tb for $120 is a good deal right now. I can't find any 2tb drives cheaper with the same cache size.
I think I may go with that HDD. Reviews seem pretty good but it does seem to fall behind in terms of recording gameplay in comparison to WD's Caviar Black. I'm not of the significance of the numbers but it did perform the poorest. (But then again, it could be only by like 1% and I still wouldn't understand whether that's significant or not)

Considering my budget, I think it might be a good idea to go ahead with HDD.
Image[/url]