Recommended Software/Hardware for recording gameplay.

For when things break.

Moderator: Executive

haruky
Supporting Member
Supporting Member

Recommended Software/Hardware for recording gameplay.

Post by haruky »

Hey guys. I noticed that a lot of the GC members like to record gameplay and cut it up and edit it. I'd like to start doing something like that as well. HOWEVER, I'm wondering what kind of things I need.

I currently have an

AMD Phenom II X6 @ 3.2ghz.
16 Gigs of RAM at 1600.
ASUS GTX 570
500 GB SATA3 HDD [I forget what brand/specific specifications]

I think I'm okay in terms of hardware. But I do know that I will probabably need another harddrive so that I won't be rendering the game while recording into the same HDD. (I heard that will kill your FPS in game)
What harddrives do you guys recommend? I'm trying my best to not break the bank. I was thinking of using this:
http://www.amazon.com/Western-Digital-C ... 071&sr=8-1

Does that suit my needs?

Also, I'd like to be able to record at 60 FPS. Does my hardware meet the needs to record at that level? I'm thinking of doing some slow-motion type videos. Much like what LoA does in his videos. Or like this: [youtube]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kfQ3NzQfsbk[/youtube]

Anyway, I'd appreciate any sort of input and help! :mrgreen:
Thanks for looking~
Image[/url]
Fields
Supporting Member
Supporting Member

Re: Recommended Software/Hardware for recording gameplay.

Post by Fields »

I'd recommend using dxtory instead of fraps; it uses a hardware interrupt instead of screen duplication, so it saves a bit of processor strength AND can record in super high pixel perfect quality (Literally). However, the bitrate is unbelievably high and you'd end up filling gigs of hard disk space in minutes. There are, of course, configurations you can change to do typical ffdshow or, I think, h264 encoding.

Another alternative, if you want a lower bitrate but still high quality, is vhcapture. This is an older freeware program, but its unbelievably customizable in every way you can imagine. The good part here is you can save space with a lower bitrate and not cut too much of the video quality. At a certain point in bitrate, you hit a level where the perceivable quality of the recording improves incrementally less while you use much larger bitrates to record at. Ideally, you would need to find an inbetween spot where the quality and bitrate are acceptable.

Also, I forgot to mention on ts earlier that 60 fps is very difficult to achieve. With a 6 core cpu, you should be able to lock core affinity for maximum efficiency in recording, but still it will be difficult.

Here's an old video I made of dead island, you can try watching it at 720 and true 1080, but the quality doesn't really change that much. In my opinion, 720 is pretty optimum if you can't quite get the 1080, but I know alot of people appreciate that full HD.
[youtube]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hZFhGhzxIVo[/youtube]

Anyways, no matter what you do be sure to record very high quality audio! Nothing irritates me more then hearing audio that sounds like it's from inside a submarine or coming from a walkie-talkie. :roll:

Lastly, if you're cpu cannot do 60 fps high res recording on it's own, there are alternatives like capture cards that are dedicated to video encoding and can do virtually an resolution at 60+ fps, but will set you back over 100$.
haruky
Supporting Member
Supporting Member

Post by haruky »

Thanks a ton fields! That was some good information and I will look into dxtory.
You said that it takes up huge amounts of space.. Do you think 2 TB would be plenty? I mean, that harddrive will be solely for recording videos. Nothing else will be on there other than my projects and captured videos.
Image[/url]
Fields
Supporting Member
Supporting Member

Post by Fields »

I've read that you can estimate your output bitrate with width x height x 3 x fps = bitrate (byte/sec).

So for your 60 fps at 1920 x 1080 resolution, that would be ~373.25 mbps. Considering that 2TB drive would be entirely for video footage and completely empty of everything else, you could capture about 90 minutes of full HD dxtory footage with it. Lowering the resolution, framerate or bitrate would all extend that record period and decrease quality of the footage. Hope that helps! :)

EDIT: So I did a bit of looking at what read/write speeds most hard drives can do these days, and this chart (http://www.tomshardware.com/charts/hdd- ... ,2904.html) shows that even some of the fastest 10,000 rpm drives on the market run about around 160 mbps. Obviously that 373 mbps isn't practical. Dxtory does offer a recording option where the output video can be stored on multiple hard drives, to combine their write speeds, but that may not be very good financially. You'll still be fine on 1080p, but most likely we'll have to configure the video encoder to run at a lower quality bitrate. Food for thought!
BLYFACTOR

Post by BLYFACTOR »

u want a sata 6GBps 2tb drive
It starts out with 1.81 GB's

So when I record with 40GB's worth of footage it takes up about 1.65 gb's left :lol:
GC Battledays (7)
Check out my youtube channel http://www.youtube.com/user/BLYFACTOR?feature=mhee
Epic 64 man Fun Stuff Sign Up hereviewtopic.php?f=2&t=17693&p=189318#p189318
haruky
Supporting Member
Supporting Member

Post by haruky »

Fields wrote:I've read that you can estimate your output bitrate with width x height x 3 x fps = bitrate (byte/sec).

So for your 60 fps at 1920 x 1080 resolution, that would be ~373.25 mbps. Considering that 2TB drive would be entirely for video footage and completely empty of everything else, you could capture about 90 minutes of full HD dxtory footage with it. Lowering the resolution, framerate or bitrate would all extend that record period and decrease quality of the footage. Hope that helps! :)

EDIT: So I did a bit of looking at what read/write speeds most hard drives can do these days, and this chart (http://www.tomshardware.com/charts/hdd- ... ,2904.html) shows that even some of the fastest 10,000 rpm drives on the market run about around 160 mbps. Obviously that 373 mbps isn't practical. Dxtory does offer a recording option where the output video can be stored on multiple hard drives, to combine their write speeds, but that may not be very good financially. You'll still be fine on 1080p, but most likely we'll have to configure the video encoder to run at a lower quality bitrate. Food for thought!
Okay. Maybe I'll have to tone down the quality a bit after reading what you've posted.. I think the quality of the video you posted (the Dead Island one) is more than enough for the type of video I'd like to make. Would a 7200 RPM, SATA3 6gps HDD be decent enough to handle that kind of footage?
Image[/url]
Fields
Supporting Member
Supporting Member

Post by Fields »

Certainly, that will be perfect.
FlashofSilver

Post by FlashofSilver »

It's not just video card and processor speed that you want, if you're going to record anywhere near HD you'll need a very high-capacity hard drive that's fast enough (and large enough) to handle the rate at which data will be written to it. 7,200 RPM may not necessarily be enough, although some people make do in small bursts - velociraptors at 10,000 RPM are better and an SSD is ideal.
fawadforlan

Post by fawadforlan »

haruky8 wrote: Do you think 2 TB would be plenty? I mean, that harddrive will be solely for recording videos. Nothing else will be on there other than my projects and captured videos.
If you want a good 2TB 7200rpm HDD, get a Western Digital Caviar Black 2TB.

Gold awarded from a dutch hardware website, and some specs:
http://nl.hardware.info/productinfo/777 ... cificaties
Battlefield 3
Campaign 2 - Staff Sergeant
Campaign 3 - Captain
Campaign 4 - Private
haruky
Supporting Member
Supporting Member

Post by haruky »

fawadforlan wrote:
haruky8 wrote: Do you think 2 TB would be plenty? I mean, that harddrive will be solely for recording videos. Nothing else will be on there other than my projects and captured videos.
If you want a good 2TB 7200rpm HDD, get a Western Digital Caviar Black 2TB.

Gold awarded from a dutch hardware website, and some specs:
http://nl.hardware.info/productinfo/777 ... cificaties
Oh, wow. HDDs have gotten super expensive ever since that Thailand flooding..

I'm trying to keep my HDD budget under $150. It seems like HDD is the most important component to a recording set-up. Can you guys suggest me some good HDDs that can be had under $150?
Image[/url]
fittyman

Post by fittyman »

Not 2TB, it's 1.5TB, but it fits your price range quite well.
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.a ... 6822236117
LoA
Supporting Member
Supporting Member

Post by LoA »

What i use for gameplay footage, when i'm aiming for the lowest possible loss of framerates as possible, i use:
Dxtory
- Record in 720p (1280x720), but i still play in 1920x1080, which is why dxtory is great for recording gameplay
- 30fps since youtube doesn't support more then that
- Dxtory Video Codec (Medium quality aswell as compressed, everything above medium quality isn't even noticable, so medium is the way to go)
I have over 60fps all the time in-game when i use these settings in dxtory. Good stuff. :)

What i mainly use for cinematics where you need at least 60 frames per second
Fraps
-1920x1080
-60FPS to get smooth slow-motion and the lowest possible morphing/artifacts in twixtor
-Not locked to framerate, since this makes the framerate lock instantly to 30fps if you go below 60, and it's just bad since your in-game fps will also go down to 30.

I mainly use Sony Vegas 11 to edit my videos, but sometimes i use Adobe After Effects to add some extra effects. :)
Fields
Supporting Member
Supporting Member

Post by Fields »

LoA wrote:What i use for gameplay footage, when i'm aiming for the lowest possible loss of framerates as possible, i use:
Dxtory
- Record in 720p (1280x720), but i still play in 1920x1080, which is why dxtory is great for recording gameplay
- Dxtory Video Codec (Medium quality aswell as compressed, everything above medium quality isn't even noticable, so medium is the way to go)
I have over 60fps all the time in-game when i use these settings in dxtory. Good stuff. :)

Fraps
-1920x1080
-60FPS to get smooth slow-motion and the lowest possible morphing/artifacts in twixtor
-Not locked to framerate, since this makes the framerate lock instantly to 30fps if you go below 60, and it's just bad since your in-game fps will also go down to 30.

I mainly use Sony Vegas 11 to edit my videos, but sometimes i use Adobe After Effects to add some extra effects. :)
Yeah, I agree :)
You should be fine with a decent HDD and medium quality recordings, haruky.
BLYFACTOR

Post by BLYFACTOR »

LoA wrote:What i use for gameplay footage, when i'm aiming for the lowest possible loss of framerates as possible, i use:
Dxtory

Fraps
-1920x1080

ty LoA time to steal ( i mean borrow :lol: hehe information) Although I need to learn how to use after effects. I know some but not much... :(

Out of curiosity what is "twixtor" :?:

Thanks for the heads- up on fraps. :P
So I should'nt lock my framerate on fraps. When the FPS is set to 60fps
GC Battledays (7)
Check out my youtube channel http://www.youtube.com/user/BLYFACTOR?feature=mhee
Epic 64 man Fun Stuff Sign Up hereviewtopic.php?f=2&t=17693&p=189318#p189318
fittyman

Post by fittyman »

I'd definitely listen to LoA. He has some amazing videos to his name.