G400 mouse malfunctioning

For when things break.

Moderator: Executive

Calloutman
Executive
Executive

G400 mouse malfunctioning

Post by Calloutman »

My recently purchased G400 is going awry, it's really frustrating.

It will at random points stop working, and by this I mean the laser is still on but it won't make the cursor move. This will happen every minute or so for a few seconds. When it starts working again, sometimes I hear the windows connected hardware sound.

Additionally, although this happens less, sometimes the laser will switch off and a windows message will pop up saying that some hardware has malfunctioned. I can't remember the exact message, I'll post it next time it happens.

I've wiggled the wire and nothing happened so I think it's a software problem rather than hardware. Although I haven't had a chance to test it on another computer yet. It's only a few weeks old so I wouldn't expect the hardware to break this soon anyway.

I tried uninstalling the hardware drivers and reinstalling, but the problem persisted. I'm on windows 7.

Any thoughts?
BF3 || C2 Lead Operative || C3 Brigadier General || C4 Major General || C5 Private First Class || C6 General
BF4 || C1 TA || C2 TA || C3 TA || C4 Serviceman || C5 Duke
sushi
Executive
Executive

Re: G400 mouse malfunctioning

Post by sushi »

Reminds me of an old MS-Mouse of mine. The only cure - aside of wild cursing - was to un- and replug the stupid thing several times, also at different USB-ports. At times it would restart working, at times it wouldn't.

The final cure was to get a new mouse.
Calloutman
Executive
Executive

Post by Calloutman »

It only stops working for about 5 seconds at a time, so unplugging it is a little pointless as by the time you've done that the thing would be working again anyway.

It does make gaming interesting lol, the amount of times I've been killed by my mouse ceasing to work at some crucial moment...

New mouse? this is a new mouse :(
BF3 || C2 Lead Operative || C3 Brigadier General || C4 Major General || C5 Private First Class || C6 General
FlaminWalrus
Supporting Member
Supporting Member

Post by FlaminWalrus »

I have G400. Never really had problems with mine tbh...
Gwynzer
Executive
Executive

Post by Gwynzer »

calloutman wrote:recently purchased
Just in case it *IS* hardware (connecting sound makes it sound like that), I'd get it replaced under warranty. That will at least confirm if the issue is software based, as the new one would have the same issue if so.
Arcturus
Supporting Member
Supporting Member

Post by Arcturus »

Logitech support suggestion
Some Irish guy's suggestion
I think a wire inside the mouse has come loose. I had it with an MX518 as well (like link 2). Since that mouse is brand new, I suggest you send it to the store/Logitech and receive a new one, if the problem persists on a different PC (don't install the software. Just plug it in, let Windows 7 install the drivers and try it out).
BF3 C2 - Lt. | BF3 C3 - Maj. | BF3 C4 - Field Marshall | BF3 C5 - Tournament Administrator
Ash2Dust
Executive
Executive

Post by Ash2Dust »

Easiest diagnosis is to plug the mouse into another computer or laptop to see if the problem travels with the mouse. If it does, call Logitech and explain just that.

Logitech has always made their warranty process easy for me over the years. Not sure if their newest stuff has a lifetime or not.
fittyman

Post by fittyman »

It's telling you you should have stayed with its predecessor. The most badass mouse ever created, the Logitech MX518.
Arcturus
Supporting Member
Supporting Member

Post by Arcturus »

fittyman wrote:It's telling you you should have stayed with its predecessor. The most badass mouse ever created, the Logitech MX518.
The Logitech MX518 has the same issue and is no longer being sold.
BF3 C2 - Lt. | BF3 C3 - Maj. | BF3 C4 - Field Marshall | BF3 C5 - Tournament Administrator
MotherFo™

Post by MotherFo™ »

could be a bad usb port as well.

If not, it should be under warranty.

Unfortunately, all products aren't perfect and hopefully this won't make you hate it. Could just be a lemon.

mb518 = g400
fittyman

Post by fittyman »

dsfarcturus wrote:
fittyman wrote:It's telling you you should have stayed with its predecessor. The most badass mouse ever created, the Logitech MX518.
The Logitech MX518 has the same issue and is no longer being sold.
Never said it didn't. I said it was badass.
Calloutman
Executive
Executive

Post by Calloutman »

I'm going to try it on another laptop tomorrow. If it fails on the other laptop then it's getting replaced. If not then I'll have another look at drivers ect.

Switching USB ports on this laptop didn't do anything.
marvk
Supporting Member
Supporting Member

Post by marvk »

Maybe it's an Hardware issue. Cable break maybe..
BF3C2: HiT 1st Lieutenant of the Airforce
BF3C3: DARK 1st Lieutenant of the Airforce
BF3C4: STAR Private First Class of the Airforce
SQRush Tournament #1: Winner
SQRush Tournament #2: Winner
SQRush Tournament #3: Semi Finals
MotherFo™

Post by MotherFo™ »

any resolution to this?
Calloutman
Executive
Executive

Post by Calloutman »

I tried it about a week ago and the problem seemed to have disappeared. However over the duration of the day it returned. I have no clue what is the problem as it worked fine for the best part of a day...