Incredibly Annoying and Odd Input Issue

For when things break.

Moderator: Executive

zorplex
Supporting Member
Supporting Member

Incredibly Annoying and Odd Input Issue

Post by zorplex »

I've tried to find a solution to this problem but I've found nothing related to this particular issue.

Symptoms: 2-3 times an hour while playing BF3, and only while playing BF3, my input will freeze. The game continues to play and it isn't obvious latency nor frame dropping. My soldier will continue moving in whatever particular way he was before the input freeze for 5-15 seconds. This is mainly an issue when I'm running to cover or toward a roof edge and my soldier just runs past the cover or roof edge. This has become even more of an issue as we play more infantry maps. I don't think I've noticed it happen while in a vehicle.

I haven't tried any troubleshooting methods as I simply don't know what could be causing this. I'm hoping that someone might have heard of something similar. Unfortunately, I can't artificially create the issue. If there is a BF3 error log that can be accessed that might help.
Get a free Planetside 2 starter pack! Shameless PS2 recruitment link!
BF3C2-L • Hitcorp • Staff Sergeant ~§~ BF3C3-L • PRIDe • Captain ~§~ BF3C4-L • Gladius • Captain BF3C5-W • Legion of Doom • Captain Image
BF3C6-L • UNSC • PFC ~§~ BF4C1-L • Allies • PRVT ~§~ BF4C2-W • 9th MEU • P2C
BF4C3 • Corleone Family • HCImage
BF4C4 • SAD JANUS • HC
StarfisherEcho
Executive
Executive

Re: Incredibly Annoying and Odd Input Issue

Post by StarfisherEcho »

Something that popped into my head. When BF3 first came out, I was playing with another group of people, some of whom had joysticks installed. Every now and then, they would start freaking out on Ventrillo about the same symptoms you describe. We realized after a while that it only happened when they had their joystick plugged in and configured in BF3.

If it's repeatable enough, unplug your joystick/wipe any BF3 associations to your joystick and see if it stops.

If that's the problem... well we never did figure out a solution short of unplugging the joystick. :/
ImageImageImage
zorplex
Supporting Member
Supporting Member

Post by zorplex »

That might be it. I use a 360 controller for flying and leave it plugged in all the time. That's really unfortunate if that's the issue. I'll try playing with it unplugged. Thanks.
BF3C2-L • Hitcorp • Staff Sergeant ~§~ BF3C3-L • PRIDe • Captain ~§~ BF3C4-L • Gladius • Captain BF3C5-W • Legion of Doom • Captain Image
BF4C4 • SAD JANUS • HC
Ash2Dust
Executive
Executive

Post by Ash2Dust »

I remember something about a Logitech Joystick being plugged in and causing issues about 6 months ago. Think there was a post about that in this forum with a solution. May or may not be related and I'm old, but it sounds familiar.
mrBLUE9
Executive
Executive

Post by mrBLUE9 »

On a similar note I have a problem that my W key will stop working once in a while when I'm pressing it, then I gotta stop pressing it and press it again to work. It's not that annoying of an issue, but there was times that I was running away/driving jeeps and stopping for some seconds is not a good thing. Does this happen to anyone else?
Ash2Dust
Executive
Executive

Post by Ash2Dust »

mrBLUE9 wrote:On a similar note I have a problem that my W key will stop working once in a while when I'm pressing it, then I gotta stop pressing it and press it again to work. It's not that annoying of an issue, but there was times that I was running away/driving jeeps and stopping for some seconds is not a good thing. Does this happen to anyone else?
My experience also 3 or 4 months ago. My memory of research into that is it seems to be ping time related to the server. Hit a pebble and you stop moving, and have to re-press the W key again. My feeling is unless you have a low ping to a server its not solvable.
Fields
Supporting Member
Supporting Member

Post by Fields »

mrBLUE9 wrote:On a similar note I have a problem that my W key will stop working once in a while when I'm pressing it, then I gotta stop pressing it and press it again to work. It's not that annoying of an issue, but there was times that I was running away/driving jeeps and stopping for some seconds is not a good thing. Does this happen to anyone else?
Yeah, it started a few patches ago for me also. No clue why, but it just happens.
LongBowNL
Supporting Member
Supporting Member

Post by LongBowNL »

If it is the 360 controller issue. Check in your key bindings if your 360 controller is binded to any of the actions (e.g. Walk forward). Remove those bindings.

You can easily check this by moving the controls and see what happens.
zorplex
Supporting Member
Supporting Member

Post by zorplex »

Unplugging the controller seems to have fixed the issue. I might try to fiddle with the control settings to see if I can keep it plugged in without triggering the bug. But for now, I'll just play keyboard only.

Thanks for the help!
BF4C4 • SAD JANUS • HC
Ash2Dust
Executive
Executive

Post by Ash2Dust »

zorplex
Supporting Member
Supporting Member

Post by zorplex »

I thought the problem had gone, but during today's battles it returned. I started to notice it more when I was talking over TeamSpeak which used the left Alt button as a hot key. So I've switched my PTT key to a mouse button in hopes that it will fix the problem.
BF4C4 • SAD JANUS • HC
.Sup
Executive
Executive

Post by .Sup »

How many USB devices do you have connected to your PC?
Hgx

Post by Hgx »

Do you have your keyboard connected to a mm switcher? (something LIKE this http://www.geeky-gadgets.com/wp-content ... sb_hub.jpg) I had that exact same problem when i was using one of those.