Moderator: Executive

LoA
Supporting Member
Supporting Member

Re: Setting up fraps, msi afterburner..

Post by LoA »

Dxtory all the way.

1. You can choose different codecs.

2. Record in any resolution you want while still playing in your preferred resolution.

3. Record your mic onto a seperate audio-track so you can choose whether to include it or not in the end.

4. Set a Push-to-talk button for your mic so it only records from your mic when you're pressing down the hotkey you got set in Teamspeak.

5. Record onto different HDDs at the same time if you don't have a fast HDD (aka RawCap).

I assume everyone's looking for good settings to record battledays with (highest possible in-game FPS) so here's my settings:

http://imgur.com/a/OvB9z

Be sure to click the benchmark button when you've added the HDD you want to record your gameplays on. Make sure it's at least 90 MB/s.
Hgx

Post by Hgx »

LoA wrote:Dxtory all the way.

2. Record in any resolution you want while still playing in your preferred resolution.

3. Record your mic onto a seperate audio-track so you can choose whether to include it or not in the end.

4. Set a Push-to-talk button for your mic so it only records from your mic when you're pressing down the hotkey you got set in Teamspeak.

5. Record onto different HDDs at the same time if you don't have a fast HDD (aka RawCap).

I assume everyone's looking for good settings to record battledays with (highest possible in-game FPS) so here's my settings:

Be sure to click the benchmark button when you've added the HDD you want to record your gameplays on. Make sure it's at least 90 MB/s.

I had similar settings, but how do you compress the video? Because VirtualDubb and WMM won't take the 2 audio channels, only the 1st one.
BotoloLover
Supporting Member
Supporting Member

Post by BotoloLover »

LoA wrote:Be sure to click the benchmark button when you've added the HDD you want to record your gameplays on. Make sure it's at least 90 MB/s.
1. To all of you who tried the benchmark and saw low numbers: put Dxtory in your Antivirus's software exceptions, it doubled the transfer speed for me.

2. Even tough it doubled the transfer speed, it's still only 50MB/s. Does it really have to be so high? My internal HD is a 500GB WD Caviar Blue at 7200 RPM, is it normal for the speed to be 50MB/s?
ImageImageImage
expandas
Supporting Member
Supporting Member

Post by expandas »

Yep. My 5400RPM drive only goes up to ~40MBps.
BotoloLover
Supporting Member
Supporting Member

Post by BotoloLover »

I finally gave Dxtory a try, and it's awesome. Practically no fps drop (but maybe that's because I've got them limited at 60) and the quality is really good. I only have two problems: files are huge, like 700MB for 30sec of footage, and the recorded video is not at a constant 30fps. Now, the second problem is probably due to the fact that I'm playing and recording on the same HDD, so there's the obvious solution of buying another HDD there. About the first, is there anyone with some experience on codecs that can suggest one with comparable video quality to the dxtory one but with more manageable file sizes? By the way, I'm using Loa's settings right now.
ImageImageImage
.Sup
Executive
Executive

Post by .Sup »

expandas wrote:Yep. My 5400RPM drive only goes up to ~40MBps.
wow huge bottleneck. I have still have a 5400rpm drive in one of my PCs and even when typing I notice difference, text sometimes lags. SSD can make an old, slow PC become very responsive.
StarfisherEcho
Executive
Executive

Post by StarfisherEcho »

I must have some sort of mental deficiency. I got dxtory all set up and when I hit the hotkey... nothing happens. There also doesn't appear to be a "Save Profile" button anywhere, so I'm guessing it just saves each change I make to a given profile.

Is there some additional step you need to do to make it actually work? The one thing different from Loa's settings in mine is that I just used the default profile, and I can't seem to figure out how to add a new one. Still using the trial version so maybe that's it.

edit: LOL DERP - just had to run BF3. Stupid intuitive and automatic software >:c
ImageImageImage
LoA
Supporting Member
Supporting Member

Post by LoA »

Hgx wrote:
LoA wrote:Dxtory all the way.

I had similar settings, but how do you compress the video? Because VirtualDubb and WMM won't take the 2 audio channels, only the 1st one.
I never compress the raw AVI files I get out of recording. Only when i'm actually uploading it to youtube I edit the footage and render it in Vegas. I got a 2TB HDD dedicated for recording footage so I really don't have to worry about running out of space. :)

If your HDD runs slow on the benchmark, it could just be old. It could also be that you got too much crap on it.

Delete everything you don't need, run a defrag and have BF3 on a seperate HDD (not the one you're recording footage to). The filesize is something you'll have to deal with if you want quality and a high in-game FPS.

MSI Afterburner or Playclaw (Playclaw is the best, but costs money) uses MJPG compression, which is great for recording (high in-game FPS, awesome quality, low filesize) but Sony Vegas tends to not like MJPG. Even if I install a seperate codec from ffdshow it won't work, but it seems to work for others.
BotoloLover
Supporting Member
Supporting Member

Post by BotoloLover »

It actually went up to 70MB/s if I'm not running everything else. Still, can't pretend that speed when I'm running BF3 on it. About MJPG, shouldn't the On-the-fly compression give a big hit on the FPS?
ImageImageImage
StarfisherEcho
Executive
Executive

Post by StarfisherEcho »

I just tried it out with 50 mb/s and it seemed to work fine. I only recored at 480p though.
ImageImageImage
expandas
Supporting Member
Supporting Member

Post by expandas »

BotoloLover wrote:About MJPG, shouldn't the On-the-fly compression give a big hit on the FPS?
Yes, you'll have a lower recording FPS in exchange for a smaller file-size.
LoA
Supporting Member
Supporting Member

Post by LoA »

BotoloLover wrote:It actually went up to 70MB/s if I'm not running everything else. Still, can't pretend that speed when I'm running BF3 on it. About MJPG, shouldn't the On-the-fly compression give a big hit on the FPS?
What expandas said, but in my experience MJPG is the one that affects your fps the lowest, and in the same time gives you great quality.
undrt0w
Supporting Member
Supporting Member

Post by undrt0w »

Hey guys,

I tried Dxtory last night. Used LoA's settings. The only strange thing was that I got around 30MB/s of speed when i used my NAS (its connected on a Gigabit Ethernet port in my router. Computer is also on a GE port) as a storage folder and around the same speed when I used an external hdd. So, i get the same low speeds on both. I played and recorded though (used the NAS) and it was all fine, game was doing ok. When i played the file though, the quality wasn't that great and the video was chopped a bit. Can that be because of the low writing speed ?
Welcome Committee Member
What is GC? | Getting Started at GC | Campaign Sign-up Video | FAQ | Forum Netiquette

New Members do you need help?
Find me on TS or send me a PM
BotoloLover
Supporting Member
Supporting Member

Post by BotoloLover »

Probably. I think that if the writing speed is too low, dxtory will automatically leave frames out to reduce the quantity of data it has to copy.
ImageImageImage
undrt0w
Supporting Member
Supporting Member

Post by undrt0w »

Could be yes. Well I might try using rawcap (where it splits the files and writes on 2 hard drives at the same time) to achieve better results. But its strange why the speed is so low. I get the same low speed when copying files from my HDD to the NAS as well, so it might be something else going on. :)
Welcome Committee Member
What is GC? | Getting Started at GC | Campaign Sign-up Video | FAQ | Forum Netiquette

New Members do you need help?
Find me on TS or send me a PM