Setting up fraps, msi afterburner..

For when things break.

Moderator: Executive

Mrhattu

Setting up fraps, msi afterburner..

Post by Mrhattu »

Hello! I am trying to set up my computer so I could record my gameplay. I don't know though how to do it correctly. I am sure that my computer can handle it, but still my Gtx 580 crashes from time to time. What program do you use and what settings?
Calloutman
Executive
Executive

Re: Setting up fraps, msi afterburner..

Post by Calloutman »

You could talk to Loa or Fields, I know they record gameplay on occasion.

I think they use FRAPS.
BF3 || C2 Lead Operative || C3 Brigadier General || C4 Major General || C5 Private First Class || C6 General
BF4 || C1 TA || C2 TA || C3 TA || C4 Serviceman || C5 Duke
CekiHappy
Supporting Member
Supporting Member

Post by CekiHappy »

I personally use Fraps on the default setting, but I dont lock my framerate because my graphics cards can handle it (two 560's in SLI). A 580 can probably handle the same, so Im not sure what's wrong with it.
Fields
Supporting Member
Supporting Member

Post by Fields »

Fraps is the staple for gamers because it's very easy to use and produces good results.

Dxtory is an alternative from japan, which costs about the same to register and is more efficient. (It records a hardware interrupt instead of rendering your screen. Thus, it uses less cpu resources) Dxtory is also more difficult to setup and use, but can provide better results in some situations.

I use xsplit because I stream as well and it's a pretty good tool for recording local footage as well, albeit not as high quality and in an odd format.
Gwynzer
Executive
Executive

Post by Gwynzer »

I've been considering doing this myself. From what I believe, FRAPS is best when you're recording onto a seperate harddrive?
Necromancer
Supporting Member
Supporting Member

Post by Necromancer »

does it also record game sound (without TS sound)?
-“Regret your helplessness…and feel despair.”
Achievement Unlocked: Battlefield 4 Uninstalled!!
Fields
Supporting Member
Supporting Member

Post by Fields »

Gwynzer wrote:I've been considering doing this myself. From what I believe, FRAPS is best when you're recording onto a seperate harddrive?
It's recommended and will yield better results if you're recording at high resolutions. I actually record to a usb 2.0 external hard drive.
Necromancer wrote:does it also record game sound (without TS sound)?
It will record anything you hear coming through the speakers/headphones; you can easily turn microphone to on/off or even voice activated with fraps. If you want to record simply game sounds and no teamspeak, you'll need to run ts on a different computer or something. I have a laptop I use sometimes to listen to music while playing, so it doesn't mix into the gameplay audio.
tehman

Post by tehman »

imo Dxtory is way better than fraps :)
Mrhattu

Post by Mrhattu »

I have used fraps a bit, but I think the files end up being too big. What programs do you use to compress them? I have about 600gb left on my storage drive. That fills up quickly with fraps.

Thank you for your answers. I think the reason for the crashing is summer.. it is hot in here.
MotherFo™

Post by MotherFo™ »

Mrhattu wrote:I have used fraps a bit, but I think the files end up being too big. What programs do you use to compress them? I have about 600gb left on my storage drive. That fills up quickly with fraps.

Thank you for your answers. I think the reason for the crashing is summer.. it is hot in here.
I use AVS Video Converter to shrink them and then convert for YouTube.
Fields
Supporting Member
Supporting Member

Post by Fields »

Windows movie maker :mrgreen:
It's free and you can customize the resolution, framerate, bitrate, etc.
Mrhattu

Post by Mrhattu »

Windows Movie Maker crashes every time I try to start it, and Battlefield 3 crashes every time that fraps is running.
This is going smoothly I say!

EDIT: Well I got them working! I recorded some gameplay of me pubbing and commented on it about what goes on inside my head while I'm playing. I'll give you a link soon!
Bock
Supporting Member
Supporting Member

Post by Bock »

So I'm thinking about starting to record my gameplay, primarily GC matches. Is this something anybody would be interested in seeing? I recorded the following video clip using the free version of fraps, at 60 fps and half size. I play at 1920 x 1080 and lowered my video settings to pretty much medium across the board and AO off to make sure I didn't get any framerate drops while playing and recording. Everything went smooth on that end. My hardware is an i5-2500k and GTX 560Ti (both moderately overderped) with 8GB of Ram if anyone cares. I then used windows movie maker to compress the clip by saving it with the default "for HD display" settings and uploaded to youtube. What do you guys think of the quality? Any experienced gameplay recorders have any other tips?

Should I shell out the $37 to register for a full version of FRAPS? That's a one-time payment and gives you a lifetime license for the software, correct?

[youtube]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=l54itcYUuog[/youtube]
BF3C3: DARK - Inf - SFC || BF3C4: STAR - Inf - 1Lt || BF3C5: KART - Armor - Cpt
BF3C6: SCAR - HC - Col || BF4C1: USSR - Mech - Kpt || BF4C2: GOCI - Inf - Lt
BF4C3: TCF - Bronx - Sgt. Maj. || BF4C4: JANUS - Air - Pvt || BF4C5: TA
BF4C6: SAD - Armor - Cpt
wizekraker
Supporting Member
Supporting Member

Post by wizekraker »

Yeah personally I would recommend getting dxtory. since its way more efficeint.

Here is tutorial:

Basics
[YouTube]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=DTZguToKY-k&feature=plcp[/YouTube]

Advanced
[YouTube]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ruAIppzkjH8&feature=plcp[/YouTube]

Hope this helped.

@bock
If I were I could get dxtory sure it a bit more expensive..but it puts less stress on your computer and has more options to play around with.
Mrhattu

Post by Mrhattu »

If I try to record my gameplay with fraps..
30 fps is just fine, but it affects my gameplay.. 30fps is not enough.
60 fps crashes my Graphics card. Even though it is 580 gtx.
I might try DXtory