For when things break.

Moderator: Executive

haruky
Supporting Member
Supporting Member

Wireless Internet is WAY TOO SLOW.

Post by haruky »

Hey guys,

So I've come across a bit of an issue. My wireless connection at my home is just way too slow.
It takes me a good 10 seconds to load up Google. Heck, my internet is so bad I can't even connect to Team Speak anymore.

I'm not sure what caused this sudden slow down to occur.

There are no phones that should be interfering with the wireless and I've also reset the modem and router multiple times and it did not do anything. I don't know much about networks and stuff like that so I would really appreciate any sort of help.
Image[/url]
Hgx

Re: Wireless Internet is WAY TOO SLOW.

Post by Hgx »

You should change your PW and reset again, maybe one of your neighbors is stealing your internet :O
Fields
Supporting Member
Supporting Member

Post by Fields »

Start by plugging into the router and modem directly and see if that helps at all. If it doesn't, then there's probably something wrong with your ISP and you should call them to complain.
fawadforlan

Post by fawadforlan »

Try this: http://www.wikihow.com/Make-a-Wi-Fi-Boo ... a-Beer-Can

Maybe it looks silly, but I have read some reviews about this and it helps for alot of people. This might not fix your problem, but it will give you a better wireless connection.

And check your cables, I had something similar with my wired connection. The cable system in my house was not really efficient so I was losing alot of my internet speed.
Battlefield 3
Campaign 2 - Staff Sergeant
Campaign 3 - Captain
Campaign 4 - Private
Hitman47
Supporting Member
Supporting Member

Post by Hitman47 »

Wireless is always crappy, roll with a wire it should fix whatever is wrong unelss your ISP is the problem.
BF2: C5 - Corporal | C6 - Corporal | C7 - Feldwebel (Sergeant) | C8 - Neutral Peace Keeper | C9 - Captain | C10 - Grand Moff (HC) | C11 - Macaca (Staff Sergeant) | C12 - Major | C13 - Corporal
BF3: C1 - Colonel | C2 - General | C3 - Neutral | C4 - Brigadier | C5 - Private | C6 - Brigadier General
BF4: C1 - Tournament Admin | C2 - General
tehman

Post by tehman »

My internet dragged down to about 40KBps during peak hours last night :x
MotherFo™

Post by MotherFo™ »

Speed test?

Trace routes?

What speeds are you paying for?

As Fields said, does it improve when it's plugged in directly?
LCourage
Supporting Member
Supporting Member

Post by LCourage »

I hate wireless for gaming. Check out http://www.monoprice.com and you can get CAT6 cable for super cheap.
Tunnel Snakes rule!
LyreXeryL

Post by LyreXeryL »

I use these to avoid the wireless suckage: http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B004D9 ... 00_s00_i00
matsif
Executive
Executive

Post by matsif »

I also use wireless and have yet to have a problem, so don't listen to these "go get wired" fanboys. :mrgreen:

power cycle your modem and router, then reset the router's WEP/WPA/WPA2 (whichever you are using, hopefully one of them) password to be sure someone isn't stealing your connection.

Also, find a smartphone app or computer program that analyzes the wifi signals around you and check and see what channel your neighbors are on. Not sure of your living situation, so gonna give the example of an apartment complex: most people will set up their routers and never change the channel from the defaults (6 and 1 seem extremely common around where I live), making those channels extremely crowded. picking a channel 2-3 channels away from any in use or heavily in use should give you a stronger connection.

if all of this fails to solve the issue, try a firmware update of the router if you know it isn't up to date. you will probably have to reset a bunch of settings after this. failing this, contact your ISP and yell at them until their ears bleed and fix your connection.

hope this helps!
woke up this morning, put on my slippers, walked in the kitchen and died
Róka

Post by Róka »

I had the same problem during the last 2 week of C3 and at one point I even bought a Wireless-Outlet connection to my router but that crap thing didn't work so I went back to my WiFi chip and looked at to what else could be the problem.
FIRST you need to do this, just in case. Usually that helps.
Hgx wrote:You should change your PW and reset again, maybe one of your neighbors is stealing your internet :O
I then found this: http://www.sysprobs.com/windows-7-network-slow
It really helped boost my download by about 2mbps. Then I had the "brilliant" idea of moving my wireless usb connection from the back of my computer where all the wires are and hidden, to the side usb connection, which gave me the internet that I pay for. Well, actually more. Supposed to be getting 10Mbps down, but I have 16Mbps.
ImageImage
Ash2Dust
Executive
Executive

Post by Ash2Dust »

With anything wireless. Unless you are getting 4 or 5 bars, most likely you will be unhappy. Its adjusting itself on the fly trying to keep connection. Personally, I find any signal under 75% unacceptable for gaming. Just think of it as 4 or 5 bars on the radio is a good clean reception. Anything less, you're getting static and fiddling with the receiver constantly hoping it sounds better.
Cleaning up reception could mean moving the base station wireless router. Or moving your computer 45 degrees, or to another part of the room. Etc. But as people have said, running a cable will give you 100% reception.
LongBowNL
Supporting Member
Supporting Member

Post by LongBowNL »

Ping your router and tell the results.

Your router usually has the ip 192.168.1.254

Quick way to do this:
Windows Key + R
type: "cmd"
Enter: "ping 192.168.1.254"
haruky
Supporting Member
Supporting Member

Post by haruky »

Okay... so something weird just happened.

The internet was still very very slow and then I did a speed test.
After the speed test, the internet sped up again to normal speeds and now I am using it fine. What happened??
Image[/url]
Ash2Dust
Executive
Executive

Post by Ash2Dust »

A million things.
If you havent passworded your wireless, do so.