PC is not reading SSD

For when things break.

Moderator: Executive

Undisparo

PC is not reading SSD

Post by Undisparo »

As some of you may know I recently bought a new PC. Everything has been fine and dandy... until two days ago. Woke up one morning and turned on the Pc. Went to the screen asking me to Boot or whatever. I go into the BIOS to choose to Boot from my SSD where windows is loaded onto. It can only find my 1TB mechinical hard drive and my optical drive. Frustrated at this point I see if it is the SATA port on the mother board; I try a different SATA port and it still doesn't read it. My next thought is to try a different SATA cable, doesn't work. I need some help here guys. Did it just crap out after a month??! Do things like this happen... just stop working one day. The PC was running great the night before and then BAM the next morning it cant read it.

Any ideas?
Mrhattu

Re: PC is not reading SSD

Post by Mrhattu »

Take the SSD drive out, start the computer, turn it off, then connect the SSD again, wait for few minutes, then check it from the motherboard again. There is something wrong if the motherboard does not recognize it. Hope you can sort it out.
.Sup
Executive
Executive

Post by .Sup »

There are two tabs in bios where you can select primary drive. If the first one isn't set properly then you don't see it in the second option either. Find that option, use + to move the primary drive up.
MotherFo™

Post by MotherFo™ »

What brand was it?

Does the bios detect it at all?
Arcturus
Supporting Member
Supporting Member

Post by Arcturus »

Everyone jumping to some advanced solutions... Have you checked the power connector to your SSD? Maybe it came loose on the drive or at the PSU if it's a modular one.
BF3 C2 - Lt. | BF3 C3 - Maj. | BF3 C4 - Field Marshall | BF3 C5 - Tournament Administrator
Undisparo

Post by Undisparo »

Thanks guys. It's a crucial 256 ssd. Still trying to figure it out. It's not reading it all of the sudden. Just random.
Ash2Dust
Executive
Executive

Post by Ash2Dust »

This would be the point where I swap the drive to another machine and see if can see the drive and other files. Even if its with a cheap SATA to USB adapter. Electronics are cheaply made, failure does happen without prediction.
MotherFo™

Post by MotherFo™ »

Try it on another machine and check for a firmware update on it. Also, http://forum.crucial.com/t5/Solid-State ... ta-p/65215
Undisparo

Post by Undisparo »

Well... ive tried many different ways and the BIOS cannot read the SSD. It reads the Opitical and Mechdrive just fine. I think I got a faulty drive. :evil: :evil: :evil: :evil: :evil:

At least I still have my lap top I guess :roll:
MotherFo™

Post by MotherFo™ »

Undisparo wrote:Well... ive tried many different ways and the BIOS cannot read the SSD. It reads the Opitical and Mechdrive just fine. I think I got a faulty drive. :evil: :evil: :evil: :evil: :evil:

Did you try that FAQ link I just gave you? Did you try putting it into the laptop to see if it reads there?
Undisparo

Post by Undisparo »

MotherFo™ wrote:
Undisparo wrote:Well... ive tried many different ways and the BIOS cannot read the SSD. It reads the Opitical and Mechdrive just fine. I think I got a faulty drive. :evil: :evil: :evil: :evil: :evil:

Did you try that FAQ link I just gave you? Did you try putting it into the laptop to see if it reads there?
Must have posted at around the same time. Have not tried it yet. Will when I get off work.
styphon
Supporting Member
Supporting Member

Post by styphon »

Sounds like a faulty SSD, they happen. I had a new Kingston with unreadable sectors recently. Had to return it for a new one.
LoA
Supporting Member
Supporting Member

Post by LoA »

Try to reset your cmos: http://youtu.be/Pdp_L5IxaNI?t=26s

If that doesn't do anything, try it in a different computer, if it doesn't work, it's most likely broken.

I've had a SSD for more then a year now and it's still working. Corsair quality. :)
styphon
Supporting Member
Supporting Member

Post by styphon »

LoA wrote:Try to reset your cmos: http://youtu.be/Pdp_L5IxaNI?t=26s

If that doesn't do anything, try it in a different computer, if it doesn't work, it's most likely broken.

I've had a SSD for more then a year now and it's still working. Corsair quality. :)
Overkill, why reset the BIOS when everything else is working? Just stick it in another PC, and if that fails return it.
Undisparo

Post by Undisparo »

MotherFo™ wrote:Try it on another machine and check for a firmware update on it. Also, http://forum.crucial.com/t5/Solid-State ... ta-p/65215

Dude that fraking worked man.... I dont know how.. but its working now!!! I love you MOTHERFO!