Building a computer

For when things break.

Moderator: Executive

Cheesy
Executive
Executive

Building a computer

Post by Cheesy »

Dumb question...what happened to that giant thread that was in here a few months ago where undisparo was building a new computer? It had a bunch of rigs people were thinking about. Now I can't find it anywhere in the forums :?

Anyway, what's that site where you can put in the components you're thinking of and send it to people?
Cheesy
Executive
Executive

Re: Building a computer

Post by Cheesy »

Also please build me a computer
TheYonderGod

Post by TheYonderGod »

Cheesy wrote:Also please build me a computer
Budget? Any uses other than gaming and normal web browsing and stuff? Do you already have a monitor, mouse, keyboard? Or a case or other re-usable component?
ImageImage
Cheesy
Executive
Executive

Post by Cheesy »

Good questions. No special use case, just gaming. I do other stuff like Photoshop occasionally but nothing that will stress any particular component too much.

I have all the peripherals already, although I'd be open to suggestions for a keyboard/mouse. Already have 2 monitors. I'm giving away my current desktop, so nothing reusable there except a 1.5TB HD that I'll pull and keep. So I'd probably just want a smaller SSD for the OS/games. Oh, and I don't really want to deal with overclocking.

For budget, let's say $1200.

Thanks guys!
haruky
Supporting Member
Supporting Member

Post by haruky »

http://pcpartpicker.com/

Here's a site you can use to build/pick components/share!
Image[/url]
undrt0w
Supporting Member
Supporting Member

Post by undrt0w »

This is what I got 2 months ago. I had a monitor, mouse and keyboard and it was around your budget.

CPU – INTEL CORE I5-3570K BOX
CPU COOLER – ARCTIC FREEZER PRO7
MB – ASROCK Z77 PRO4
RAM – 2 X4GB 1600 GEIL LEGGERA
HDD - HITACHI 1000GB SATA3, 7200rpm, 32MB
VGA – SAPPHIRE HD7950 3GB FULL
PSU – SEASONIXC SS-620GB BRONZE
CASE – FRACTIAL DESIGN CORE 3000 BL
DVD-RW – ASUS DRW-24B5ST BLACK

BF3 runs perfectly.
Welcome Committee Member
What is GC? | Getting Started at GC | Campaign Sign-up Video | FAQ | Forum Netiquette

New Members do you need help?
Find me on TS or send me a PM
TheYonderGod

Post by TheYonderGod »

PCPartPicker part list / Price breakdown by merchant / Benchmarks

CPU: Intel Core i5-3570K 3.4GHz Quad-Core Processor ($169.99 @ Microcenter) If you aren't overclocking at all you can get a 3570 non K or upgrade to a 3770(k) if you want, though you really don't need it unless you're rendering a lot or something Edit: just realized it has this listed from Microcenter, they're in-store only there, so unless you have a Microcenter near you, they're $50 more on Newegg
CPU Cooler: Cooler Master Hyper 212 Plus 76.8 CFM Sleeve Bearing CPU Cooler ($24.98 @ Amazon) You don't really need an aftermarket cooler if you aren't overclocking
Motherboard: ASRock Z77 Extreme4 ATX LGA1155 Motherboard ($134.98 @ Outlet PC)
Memory: G.Skill Ripjaws X Series 8GB (2 x 4GB) DDR3-1600 Memory ($39.98 @ Outlet PC)
Storage: Samsung 840 Series 120GB 2.5" Solid State Disk ($89.99 @ Adorama)
Video Card: XFX Radeon HD 7970 3GB Video Card ($400.53 @ NCIX US)
Sound Card: Asus Xonar DS 24-bit 192 KHz Sound Card ($38.68 @ Newegg) I added a sound card because I think it's one of the best cheap upgrades you can get after you have a decent computer. You can remove it if you don't want it though, or downgrade to a Xonar DG to save a little bit or upgrade to a DX if you want.
Case: Cooler Master Storm Scout ATX Mid Tower Case ($64.98 @ Amazon) You can really pick whatever case you want, I just chose this
Power Supply: Corsair Builder 600W 80 PLUS Bronze Certified ATX12V Power Supply ($61.98 @ Newegg)
Keyboard: Microsoft SIDEWINDER X4 Wired Gaming Keyboard ($40.99 @ Newegg) This is the keyboard I have, it's good for a rubber dome, I recommend looking into mechanicals if you do get a new keyboard though
Mouse: Razer DeathAdder Wired Optical Mouse ($44.99 @ Amazon) You can't really go wrong with a DeathAdder, there are other good mice though, I just haven't used any so I wouldn't know what else to suggest
Total: $1112.07
(Prices include shipping, taxes, and discounts when available.)
(Generated by PCPartPicker 2013-01-03 05:17 EST-0500)

Add windows if you don't want to torrent it :wink:
And and optical drive if you need one. I just install windows from a USB drive so I haven't used an optical drive in years.
ImageImage
mrBLUE9
Executive
Executive

Post by mrBLUE9 »

I built mine with the help of this little website: http://www.logicalincrements.com/ It's really good. :)
BotoloLover
Supporting Member
Supporting Member

Post by BotoloLover »

Sorry to intrude, but I have a question for Yonder: why you think a sound card it's one of the best cheap upgrades? Is it for the better sound quality only, or there is also a reduction in CPU processing due to the fact that sound is now processed by the sound card?
ImageImageImage
TheYonderGod

Post by TheYonderGod »

BotoloLover wrote:Sorry to intrude, but I have a question for Yonder: why you think a sound card it's one of the best cheap upgrades? Is it for the better sound quality only, or there is also a reduction in CPU processing due to the fact that sound is now processed by the sound card?
The sound quality. There is a HUGE difference even if you just get the $20 Xonar DG. The CPU usage is a small difference, I doubt you would notice anything with any modern CPU.
ImageImage
mrBLUE9
Executive
Executive

Post by mrBLUE9 »

BotoloLover wrote:Sorry to intrude, but I have a question for Yonder: why you think a sound card it's one of the best cheap upgrades? Is it for the better sound quality only, or there is also a reduction in CPU processing due to the fact that sound is now processed by the sound card?
If I may answer that, it has to do with sound quality mostly. The onboard sound drivers can only do so much in terms of sound quality, specially if you have a good pair of headphones. That's where the sound card comes in, it will provide a better sound quality and also a headphone amp, which is kind of essential if you have a good pair of headphones. That said, you don't need a sound card if you only want to get a better sound quality in the stereo mode, you can buy an external DAC (like the FiiO E7), that will work like a sound card but it's just a USB device that you plug in, it also has a headphone amp. But if you want to have Dolby Hedaphone for example, which mimics the surround sound of a 5.1 or 7.1 sound stage in your headphones, you will need a sound card like the Xonar DG. Having that surround capabilities is really good when gaming, since you have a more clear sound-stage, you can also use it with movies, but I don't know how much it improves the sound though.

Example of Dolby Headphone use with BF3 (jump to the gameplay):

[youtube]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nHeDCGjAz6Q[/youtube]

TL;DR: If you have a good pair of headphones and just want a better sound quality in stereo mode buy an external DAC. If you want to have the surround capabilities in your headphone (for gaming/movies) go with a soundcard that have 3D sound, like Dolby Headphone or CMSS-3D.
Last edited by mrBLUE9 on Thu Jan 03, 2013 9:42 am, edited 1 time in total.
BotoloLover
Supporting Member
Supporting Member

Post by BotoloLover »

My motherboard integrated audio has something similar to Dolby Headphone, but I suppose nothing close to what a dedicated sound card can offer. Thanks for the information, I recently buyed a pair of decent headphones, I really should start thinking about buying a sound card.
ImageImageImage
undrt0w
Supporting Member
Supporting Member

Post by undrt0w »

damn it, I just got psyched to get the Xonar and I read your post that you need a 5.1 or 7.1 headphones. If I get such headphones is the Xonar DS a good solution for sound upgrade?

Today is the second time i read about Deathadder...if my MX518 ever dies it will be a consideration :)
Welcome Committee Member
What is GC? | Getting Started at GC | Campaign Sign-up Video | FAQ | Forum Netiquette

mrBLUE9
Executive
Executive

Post by mrBLUE9 »

SiL3nT_BoB wrote:damn it, I just got psyched to get the Xonar and I read your post that you need a 5.1 or 7.1 headphones. If I get such headphones is the Xonar DS a good solution for sound upgrade?

Today is the second time i read about Deathadder...if my MX518 ever dies it will be a consideration :)
Sorry, my english is not the best! You don't need a 5.1 or 7.1 headphones! You can use plain stereo ones. Also what these so called 5.1 heaphones do is just use the Dolby Headphone settings, so essentially they are just stereo heaphones.
The Xonar DS is a good soundcard, but I could not find which 3D sound software it uses. So if you can, go with the Xonar DG, that have Dolby Headphone.

Some suggestions for gaming headphones (and more info on the subject): http://www.head-fi.org/t/534479/mad-lus ... -g1a-added
undrt0w
Supporting Member
Supporting Member

Post by undrt0w »

yeah, that's what i thought...that 5.1 or 7.1 is pretty much an illusion when u have 1 speaker on each of your ear. Although the guide shows only dolby headphones, it goes to prove my theory that its better to stick with companies that make mainly audio products and not the ones that make gaming accessories like razer or roccat.

but i will shut up now, since we are getting into a different topic :)
Welcome Committee Member