Compressing video recording from FRAPS

For when things break.

Moderator: Executive

Snow1Wolf

Compressing video recording from FRAPS

Post by Snow1Wolf »

I only recorded a 21 minutes TDM as a trial, and the file was fracking 41GB. I have a 2 TB hard drive that only used 25% but even that wouldn't last a battleday of footage.

So, how do you compress those videos? I tried using Windows Movie Maker and when I try to export a video it just won't do it. And when I finally did it via export video for computer it was at most a 480p video.

Please help this noob, and thank you ahead of time.

P.S. I am probably still going to buy a TB size removeable hard drive to keep up the pace.
For CAFFEINE!!!!!
Hgx

Re: Compressing video recording from FRAPS

Post by Hgx »

Well, I know you tried WMM, and I don't know why it's not working for you.

My windows movie maker 2.6 works perfect.

Have you tried these options?

1)Options > Advanced > PAL 16:9

And then when "save to my computer" in "Other settings" you need: High quality video (large)

So below in Setting details it would show:

WMV
Variable bit rate
856x480
16:9

Just give it a chance again, I think it's pretty simple to use, ofc you need to render it again with something like Vegas, but this takes files from 30GB to 400MB.
RAGEFACE7

Post by RAGEFACE7 »

FRAPS is known to do that. If you want you can use something else like the MSI Afterburner, Playclaw (w/ awesome TS3 overlay), DXtory.
RAGEFACE7
Snow1Wolf

Post by Snow1Wolf »

Ummmm. I don't think I could use it because I now have a 32bit windows 7. Unless I get a update somewhere, and the WMM I got is for sure not WMM 2.6. I couldn't change like ANY settings....ARG.

I found a custom setting and this is what default is W1280 H 720 Bit rate 8000. Frame rate: 29.97(It should be 30 right?)

and audio format: 128 kbps, 48kHz, stereo.
For CAFFEINE!!!!!
Hgx

Post by Hgx »

Snow1Wolf wrote:Ummmm. I don't think I could use it because I now have a 32bit windows 7. Unless I get a update somewhere, and the WMM I got is for sure not WMM 2.6. I couldn't change like ANY settings....ARG.

I found a custom setting and this is what default is W1280 H 720 Bit rate 8000. Frame rate: 29.97(It should be 30 right?)

and audio format: 128 kbps, 48kHz, stereo.
Mmm, it should work, not sure about the bit rate to, because for rendering in 720p you want something around 10k and 15k.

But give it a try, this is all like that, try fail, try again.